5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 11:49 AM by tonylives

Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?

tonylives Level 1

Lightroom is Running PAINFULLY Slow.  The issue is most exacerbated during spot removal, at which point it is nearly impossible to accomplish work.

I've had this issue repeatedly with lightroom, and others have as well.  There seems to be no fix for it.  It truly seems as if no one at Adobe gives half a damn about these issues.

I am running a PC with the following specs, and so I cannot understand the reason for this slowness.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K

Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX970

OS Drive: Samsung 850 Pro

Project Drive: Samsung 950 Pro

MB: ASUS P9X79 PRO

RAM: 32GB

I've attached a screenshot of my system specs:

system.jpg

• 1. Re: Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be a good idea to indicate what version of Lightroom you are using. Yes, it really does make a difference. However, IF you are using Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC, have you tried turning off GPU acceleration in your Lightroom preferences?

• 2. Re: Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?
            dj_paige Level 9

What version of Lightroom?

The issue is most exacerbated during spot removal, at which point it is nearly impossible to accomplish work.

Yes, this is a known drawback to the spot removal/adjustment brush tool, if you do a lot of spot removal or adjustment brushing, that Lightroom does slow down.

Some things you can try

• If Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC, turn off the GPU acceleration
            • Do all your spot healing/brushing as the next to last edit step
            • As the last edit step, turn on the Lens Calibration (if desired)
            • Get a faster CPU

If none of that works, do the spot healing and brushing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

OPINION: I speak for myself only (and certainly not for Adobe, whom I do not work for and have never worked for), but this non-destructive editing technology that they have built into Lightroom is a fantastic technology; except for the case where you are doing a lot of brushing or spot healing, in which case the technology requires a lot more horsepower than most computers have, and thus for lots of brushing or spot healing, the technology fails.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?
              tonylives Level 1

I have CC and I update whenever there is a new version, so the Lightroom I'm using is always the latest update.

It isn't just slow though, it is ridiculously slow.  I thought my CPU (just upgraded...) was overkill for LR, but I guess not.

I tried turning off GPU acceleration and that does seem to help.  Also killing the profile correction during spot removal helps as well.  Still not the speed at which older versions of lightroom worked on the same canon files, on a slower computer.  They definitely need to go back to coding school, because something they're doing is grossly inefficient.

Thank you for your help!

• 4. Re: Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?
                NaplesDude Level 1

I had similar symptoms on my laptop.  The following steps corrected it.

-Update to latest vid card driver

-Close LR, go into device manager and disable your vid card.

-Open LR, uncheck the GPU performance option.

-Close LR, go into device manager and enable your vid card.

-Open LR again and test.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Running PAINFULLY Slow.  Does anyone have a cure?
                  tonylives Level 1

Thanks NaplesDude!

Did that, and now with Lens Correction off, it seems to work even faster.  This is much more acceptable.

Really appreciate the input here fellas, it has been a big help.