2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2008 9:47 AM by c_a_n_v_a_s

How to make buttons display in correct location

c_a_n_v_a_s
      Hi, I am trying to adapt a dreamweaver template. I have to place a set of buttons to the left of the design. If I place my buttons in a new layer over an existing cell, I can get it all to look fine in the WYSIWYG editor, but on f12 preview in browser the buttons are completely in the wrong place. Would really welcome any pointers to solving this ... Thank you. As you have probably guessed I am new to dreamweaver...
        • 1. Re: How to make buttons display in correct location
          Level 7
          > As you have probably
          > guessed I am new to dreamweaver...

Being new to Dreamweaver is of no consequence, but being new to HTML and CSS
          is critical. DW will punish you badly if you have no familiarity with HTML
          and CSS. Please take the time to study these techniques before getting
          yourself too frustrated.

We cannot answer any layout question without seeing your code, really. But
          from this -

> If I place my buttons in a new layer

we can deduce that you are using absolute positioning to try to align your
          buttons. The thing about absolute positioning is that it places the
          elements ABSOLUTELY on the screen - they stay in exactly that location no
          matter what else happens on the page. It sounds like you have some other
          centering elements on the page that are moving away from the placement of
          the buttons when you actually render the page in the browser. It's
          situations like this that cause us to try to tell people that a) there is no
          such thing as WYSIWYG, and b) using DW without understanding the underlying
          code will likely be a failure.

The solution to your problem will be one of the following -

a) don't use absolutely positioned elements to hold your buttons - place
          them in a container that follows the normal flow of the page instead
          b) wrap the page in a relatively positioned, centering container so that
          when the container centers, it carries the absolutely positioned elements
          along with it

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"c_a_n_v_a_s" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:girf2i$r4o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi, I am trying to adapt a dreamweaver template. I have to place a set of
          > buttons to the left of the design. If I place my buttons in a new layer
          > over an
          > existing cell, I can get it all to look fine in the WYSIWYG editor, but on
          > f12
          > preview in browser the buttons are completely in the wrong place. Would
          > really
          > welcome any pointers to solving this ... Thank you. As you have probably
          > guessed I am new to dreamweaver...
          >

• 2. Re: How to make buttons display in correct location
            c_a_n_v_a_s Level 1
            Thanks Murray, that's a great help. I do realise that I should learn HTML from the ground up, but I am nevertheless extremely grateful for your input ..