4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 11:58 PM by HOTELECHOMIKE

Understanding AVCHD Disc vs Blu-Ray Disc

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I have an 11-minute HD PAL video that I need to duplicate a number of times for distribution with my (flying) club.

The project is created using PE 14.1 on a WIN7 PC.

My intention was to create ISO files & use ImgBurn to burn multiple discs.

I was intending to offer (a) DVD or (b) Blu-Ray.

In the past I succeeded to crete a DVD ISO image from PE 13.1 & burn that via ImgBurn & assume (famouus last words) that this will also work with PE 14.1

I have also managed to create a Blu-Ray ISO with PE 14.1 & burn that.

The question is: is an AVCHD disc a good alternative to the Blu-Ray since the video is short & DVD media costs half that of Blu-Ray)?

My understanding is that AVCHD uses DVD media in Blu-Ray quality (have to burn via Blu-Ray burner).

Playing around with the Export feature in PE14.1 I see the following for this video:

DVD ISO: SD 576, Frame Rate 25, ISO size 689 MB

Blu-Ray ISO: HD 1080 Frame Rate 25, ISO size 1.86 GB (Bit rate 20.19 Mbps)

AVCHD ISO: HD 1080, Frame Rate 25, ISO size 1.44 GB (Bit rate 15.59 Mbps)

I was a bit surprised to see that the AVCHD ISO file was somewhat smaller than for the BluRay (assumed same quality).

Thoughts, advice, experience?

• 1. Re: Understanding AVCHD Disc vs Blu-Ray Disc
          whsprague Level 4

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

......The question is: is an AVCHD disc a good alternative to the Blu-Ray since the video is short & DVD media costs half that of Blu-Ray)?

My understanding is that AVCHD uses DVD media in Blu-Ray quality (have to burn via Blu-Ray burner).

I'm still on version 13.  I've used AVCHD discs many times in versions 11 and 13.  There has been no noticeable difference in viewing quality when played on a Blu-Ray player.   You do not use a Blu-Ray burner. You use a regular DVD burner.  Anyone with a DVD burner, a cheap blank DVD disc and Blu-Ray player can make HD video for their friends' TVs.  Using Blu-Ray discs for videos under 20 minutes is truly a waste of money.

Disclaimers:

-The earliest and oldest Blu-Ray players may not play these.

-The video length is not specific in minutes but certainly anything under 20, maybe 25, minutes will fit.

-Having taken advantage of AVCHD Discs for years, my computer is now fighting me since I upgraded to Windows 10.  (Everything but disc burning is fine).

-I've always burned DVDs, AVCHD Discs and Blu-Ray discs from Premier Elements.  I have no idea how to make ISO files and use ImgBurn.

Bill

PS:  I worked in the small airplane business, including at Cessna, for most of my career.  Where is your flying club and what airplanes does it have?

• 2. Re: Understanding AVCHD Disc vs Blu-Ray Disc
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Forget about AVCHD disks. I dont know why Elements still offers that option.

Avchd discs still need a BD player to play them, and not all BD-players play them without issues.

If you want to distribute a short film make a mp4 and put it on an usb stick (you can ask each member of your club to provide an usb stick)

Can be played on a computer and most modern dvd and bd players.

I dont use Elements but PPro with Encore

I always make iso's, never burned straight from Encore.

I burn with CDBurnerXP.

• 3. Re: Understanding AVCHD Disc vs Blu-Ray Disc
              HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

PS:  I worked in the small airplane business, including at Cessna, for most of my career.  Where is your flying club and what airplanes does it have?

Juts to the West of Hamburg, Germany.  We are a gliding club with 7 club-owned gliders and about a dozen privately owned by members (from Ka8 to Arcus M).

• 4. Re: Understanding AVCHD Disc vs Blu-Ray Disc
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

If you want to distribute a short film make a mp4 and put it on an usb stick (you can ask each member of your club to provide an usb stick)

I've offered them DVD, Blu-Ray & MP4 file (bring your own stick).

So far I've got takers for one of each.