4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 4:52 PM by Rick Gerard

Hey quick question How do I render videos on After Effects quickly?

Wonder Effectz

I have around 8 GB's of ram. Could it be because of the ram? I adjusted it to use 8 but it still goes slow. Or could it be the internet? IM still very new to After Effects and I would like to know how to increase my speed of rendering.

• 1. Re: Hey quick question How do I render videos on After Effects quickly?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Having 16 Gigs would be good.  But at the moment, the new versions of AE can't use multiprocessing.

We also don't know what you mean by a long render time -- you could mean "not instantaneous" or you could mean "a week".

We don't know about your machine, your OS version nor your AE version.

And we don't know what effects you've applied, nor what you're trying to do.

No way to give you a straight answer.

• 2. Re: Hey quick question How do I render videos on After Effects quickly?
            Nexahs1138 Level 3

Your internet has no baring on the speed of rendering, it all depends on what you're rendering and whether or not you're using a H.264 codec.

• 3. Re: Hey quick question How do I render videos on After Effects quickly?
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

wonder effectz wrote:

I adjusted it to use 8 but it still goes slow.

You need to leave some for the operating system to use, too.

• 4. Re: Hey quick question How do I render videos on After Effects quickly?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rendering depends 100% upon your system and what you are doing in your comp plus a factor for compression. Trying to dedicate 100% of your assets to AE is not usually a very good idea. The default preference settings work for almost everyone's system.

With the little tiny bit of information you have given us there is no way to tell if you are working efficiently or not. Rendering in the Adobe media encoder are, which is the only reasonable way to render H.264, will be slower than rendering through the render cue for most projects. The time difference between rendering a digital master using a production format and then rendering that master as an H.264 in the AME maybe insignificant. We cannot know unless you tell us exactly what you're trying to do and it would be helpful to know how much experience you have in producing video. Most folks just starting out in video have no idea what compression is, what it involves, what video standards are, or how to set up an efficient workflow.

With some more details about what you are trying to accomplish we may be able to help save you some time but be warned, rendering video takes time.