7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 10:56 AM by Szalam

No Audio Playback

YlvaUlfhadinn Level 1

I am using After Effects CC 2014 and when I import an audio file and put it into my composition it does not play.  It will work once I render the video and play it in Quicktime, but not while I am editing my video in After Effects.  I think my audio settings in the Preferences are okay, but I'm not sure.  I have it checked to Built In Input/Built In Output.  Also I just did an update of the software yesterday and the problem is still not resolved.  Please help.

• 1. Re: No Audio Playback
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you new to AE?   Have you tried to preview audio only? Are you using the preview panel? Are you using the spacebar? What happens if you hold down the control/command key and scrub the current time indicator?  If your new it's probably user error.

• 2. Re: No Audio Playback
            YlvaUlfhadinn Level 1

I have only been using AE for a few months for a class I am taking, but my instructor is not very helpful.  When I press the space bar to play the footage, it plays the video but not any of the audio.  I just tried holding command and scrubbing through the timeline and that actually did work to play my audio, but it doesn't play back at real time.  Is there not a way to have the audio play when I press the spacebar?

• 3. Re: No Audio Playback
              YlvaUlfhadinn Level 1

I forgot to mention that when I have used AE on the computers at school that the audio always plays when I press the space bar.  Therefore I know it's not something that I am doing, and it is something that is wrong with my program. 

• 4. Re: No Audio Playback
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

YlvaUlfhadinn wrote:

Is there not a way to have the audio play when I press the spacebar?

NO!

This is something that should have been covered on Day One of an AE 101 class.  AE is not a video editing application.  It is an effects, compositing and motion graphics application.  It works very differently than an editing application.  In AE, you do not play video -- you preview sections of your composition.

To hear audio in After Effects CC 2014:

• Press the period key on the numeric keypad.  AE will almost immediately play audio from the position of the timeline cursor (aka CTI) for a duration set in AE Preferences
                • Do a RAM preview -- hit zero on the numeric keypad
                • Scrub audio -- enable the Caps Lock key, then Ctl-Drag the timeline cursor (Cmd-Drag Mac)
                • Preview 10 frames of audio from the point of the timeline cursor -- Crl-Click and Hold the timeline cursor

Since your instructor has neglected to teach you these absolute fundamentals, I encourage you to scrutinize the Views And Previews section of AE Help.

And whatever you do, KEEP THOSE FINGERS OFF THE SPACE BAR!

• 5. Re: No Audio Playback
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

YlvaUlfhadinn wrote:

I forgot to mention that when I have used AE on the computers at school that the audio always plays when I press the space bar.

Your computers at school are likely using CC 2015 which will play audio with the spacebar because things have FUNDAMENTALLY changed in CC 2015 in regards to previewing!

• 6. Re: No Audio Playback
                    Chris1190 Level 1

I have the same problem where i cannot play back my audio. The only way i can is with holding command and dragging but i want to be able to listen to the audio without it being choppy.

• 7. Re: No Audio Playback
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you using, Chris? Is it 13.8.0?