I just confirmed that a document I've published before works fine with text anchors and URLs in Publish Online.
You need a better way of proofing your document. You should open the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel (Window > Interactivity > EPUB Interactivity Preview). You would enlarge this panel and click the Set Document Preview Mode button at the bottom right. You can test any of the features which Publish Online supports because EPUB uses HTML and CSS just like Publish Online does. You can click on any of your links and make sure they work there.
Here are a couple things which could go wrong:
(1) If URLs work in a PDF in Acrobat and Reader, it may not be using hyperlinks you've created in InDesign. Acrobat and Reader turn what it sees as URLs into active links (Acrobat/Reader General panel).
(2) You can also test your text anchors in the Hyperlink panel using the Go to Source and Go to Destination menu items
(3) Some buttons which work in PDFs don't work in HTML/CSS in EPUBs and Publish Online
What kind of hyperlinks are you using?
Thanks for your reply. Still not having any luck. I'm perplexed. The hyperlinks are URLs and email addresses. I use the hyperlinks panel and all is green. I create the links by selecting the text I want to link and use either Create Hyperlink or New Hyperlink from URL from the Type menu. I have tried both checking and unchecking the Shared Hyperlink Destination box but it does not change the result.
I'm working on a PC, Windows 10.
Did you try previewing in the EPUB Interactivity Preview panel?
- Exactly what happens when you click the links after publishing online?
- Do you get the same result for all links?
Yes - and they do NOT work there either. I also tried other browsers to make sure that wasn't the issue.
Just a note about the EPUB preview - the text formatting goes all cattywampus, but it looks fine in the published document so I did not relate that earlier.
So let's look at one of the URLs. I'm assuming it's going to a website. In my document, I have a URL pointing to the Adobe website. You can see in the text the blue hyperlink "Adobe website". When I open the Hyperlinks panel and click on the Adobe website hyperlink, I then choose Edit Hyperlink from the panel menu. The Edit Hyperlink dialog is shown below. Does your hyperlink look like that?
So, you're creating the hyperlink correctly. Let's look at a couple trouble shooting techniques.
First, try restoring your InDesign preferences. This doc explains how:
I had such hopes! Unfortunately, restoring the application preferences did not work. I discovered one thing - there is one link in the document that works and it's a QR code I created using InDesign's Generate QR Code feature. Give you any clues?
A second troubleshooting technique:
Save your InDesign file as an IDML file (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later). Open the new file and try again.
Saving as IDML did not work either.
I discovered another clue. If you view the published document on the web and click the download button, most of the links work again with a strange caveat - if the link is split over 2 lines of text (as shown in the image), only the first line is clickable. For example, the first link in the image below will behave as a link when I mouse over http://www. But if I mouse over the part on the second line, accuzip.com/updates, it is not a link. The links on the social icons still don't work, no matter what.
I think I've gone as far as I can think of for ideas to test at this moment.
We have a couple of Adobe engineers who patrol the Publish Online topics, so hopefully one of them can help you further. Or, others with lots of Publish Online experience.
You really spent a lot of time today trying to help and for that I say, THANK YOU! Hopefully someone will figure it out. I'm going to take my file home and try it from my MAC. That should tell me if it's a platform or file issue.
Sorry to see your links are not working in Published document, I tried opening your indd link to see your published document but it is not showing up, may be you have deleted it.
Few things to check, make sure your are on latest InDesign version, in ID 11.0 text hyperlinks are not supported in Published documents.
Other thing to see is make sure text hyperlinks are above overlapping objects if any, sometimes we draw objects above text frame and apply transparency on it so text is visible but not actually accessible to mouse events.
If these things does not work please share link of your published document so that I can take a look.
Thanks for taking a look at this. I tried some things and the link got changed. Here is the current link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/6a544918-8523-4cb8-a525-950c4135c7a1
I checked that the text links were above any other objects and I also applied the latest InDesign update. Neither had any effect.
I discovered it has something to do with the text boxes. A different designer created the original document. I have been using the original document and simply inserting new text and graphics. I discovered that if I completely delete the original text box and insert a new one everything works perfectly. I have no idea what setting could be applied to the original text boxes to cause this problem. Here is a link to the same document where I completely replaced the text box on page 3 and the first column on page 4: https://indd.adobe.com/view/f6fc7654-9ed5-47a7-86ce-08ca6ca8e0cd. You will see the links work on those pages.
I sent an email on your ID for more information and indd document. Please provide same, it would help in reproducing the issue.
Thanks Anshul - I sent you a Dropbox link to the file.