8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 6:47 PM by whsprague

Elements 13, is this normal?

95devils

I am so frustrated with Elements 13.1.  I have never used any other video software except Elements 12.

I am using two computers (1 laptop and 1 pc)  both are i7 processors with 8 Gb of memory.  One has Windows 7 and one has Windows 10.  Over 3 Tb of free memory on both.  Both exhibit the same problems:

1)     Opening a 23 minute project takes over 8 minutes.  Only media used in the project are in the folder.

2)     When media is loaded it appears to also load rendered files.  But I have to render the project every time I open the project.  Rendering the project takes slightly over 20 minutes.  Is that normal?  Rendering likes to crash at 96% complete (requiring a computer reboot).

3)     Saving the project takes over 15 minutes.  The save dialog box jumps to 8% at 9 seconds.  Goes to 9% at about 3 minutes.  Sits at 9% until 15 minutes then finishes quickly.

I do run shake stabilizer.  I take underwater video.  Running shake stabilizer on a majority of the clips is an all day event.

Creating this 23 minute movie has taken many weekends, any advice?

Jerry

• 1. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
          whsprague Level 4

Can you provide your project settings, how you set up the project and the source of your video?   There may be a mismatch between the clips and the project.  What are the specs for the HDD? 

As is obvious, video editing is hard work for any computer.  Using the shake stabilizer makes it a lot worse.  8 Gb of memory, a "normal speed" HDD and 20 minutes of shake stabilization may be more than your computer can handle with any kind of quickness.

• 2. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

95devils wrote:

I do run shake stabilizer.   Running shake stabilizer on a majority of the clips is an all day event.

That is very resource intensive.

How much RAM do you have?

What processor, how many cores, and what speed?

• 3. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
              whsprague Level 4

Peru Bob wrote:

95devils wrote:

I do run shake stabilizer.   Running shake stabilizer on a majority of the clips is an all day event.

That is very resource intensive.

How much RAM do you have?

What processor, how many cores, and what speed?

The OP wrote that he has an i7 with 8 Gb of RAM.  He did not write about cores, processor speed or disk speeds. 

Do you think that processing individual clips would work?  Open a project, load one clip, stabilize it and output to a intermediate clip with matching specs.  Then with a collection of stabilized "new" clips a final project could be built where the shake stabilizer would not have to be continuously working.   There would be some theoretical loss of image quality, but it might be unnoticable in the final product.

• 4. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?

whsprague wrote:

The OP wrote that he has an i7 with 8 Gb of RAM.

Yup.  I don't know how I missed that.img0370.gif

• 5. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
                  whsprague Level 4

Peru Bob wrote:

whsprague wrote:

The OP wrote that he has an i7 with 8 Gb of RAM.

Yup.  I don't know how I missed that.img0370.gif

Do you think the idea of processing each clip, one at a time, would work?

• 6. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
                    95devils Level 1

Project settings are default.  I simply go File, New Project.

The video clips are from a Sony RX100-2 camera.  They come in as a MTS file, 1920x1080.  29fps.

The processor is at least a i7-4790@3.60Ghz.  4 cores.

Hard drive, not sure of without opening case.  7200 RPM, 6 Gb/sec.

Shake stabilizer, I realize is memory intensive.  But is taking that long to load the project, save, and render normal.

• 7. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?

whsprague wrote:

Do you think the idea of processing each clip, one at a time, would work?

It might be quicker in the long run.

• 8. Re: Elements 13, is this normal?
                        whsprague Level 4

95devils wrote:

Project settings are default.  I simply go File, New Project.

The video clips are from a Sony RX100-2 camera.  They come in as a MTS file, 1920x1080.  29fps.

The processor is at least a i7-4790@3.60Ghz.  4 cores.

Hard drive, not sure of without opening case.  7200 RPM, 6 Gb/sec.

Shake stabilizer, I realize is memory intensive.  But is taking that long to load the project, save, and render normal.

I have the RX100-1 camera and have loved it since they were introduced. 

In PrE 13 the project settings are established when you slide the first clip to the time line.  The AVCHD standard used in those cameras is known to be a little harder on video editing software.   A 7200 RPM HDD is about as good as HDDs will be.   I ended up buying a computer with a HDD and SSD.  The sole purpose of the SSD is video editing and it helps. 

My guess is that between the AVCHD standard, the relatively low RAM (by video editing standards) and the shake stabilizer you are getting a slow down.  My understanding is that deep in the operating system is a trick that I think is called "disk swapping".  Chunks of RAM get moved back and forth to the HDD to simulate having more RAM.  It truly can bring a computer to a near halt.

Before I had my current computer I had a i5 based laptop with no SSD and 6 gigs of RAM.  It ran bad with AVCHD footage.  I maxed out the RAM and it was better.  It still motivated me to retire it and buy what I've got now.  Still I think I could sink it with enough shake stabilization.

Consider preprocessing the shake stabilization one clip at a time, outputing to an intermediate file and combining in a master project. 

Good luck!   There may be something else going on, but I think you don't have enough memory for shake stabilization of AVCHD footage.