5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 1:38 PM by wobertc

i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?

michelg77482007

I cant't read the library " photo" with LR in my IMAC  ?

• 1. Re: i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have no idea what that means. Have the images been imported using Lightroom?

• 2. Re: i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?
            Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Michelg,

Could you please let me know the exact version of Lightroom installed on your computer ?

Also what is the exact issue that you are facing in Lightroom ?

Regards

Tanuj

• 3. Re: i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Macs 'hide' images in a "Photos" library -not accessible to Lightroom.

If this is your problem, then refer to this thread- can photos stored in the new Apple Photos be quickly transferred to Lightroom? I am not at all happy with this new apple "fix".

• 4. Re: i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?
                michelg77482007 Level 1

my version is 2015.5 WHEN I WANT IMPORT THE LIBRARY   of " PHOTO"  DOESN'T APPEAR  in the list

OK  IT IS MY PROBLEM

I HAD THOUGHT TO CREATE A NEW FOLDER BUT I DON'T WANT HAVE TWO AND SAME FOLDER FOR ALL MY  PICTURE

YESTERDAY I PHONE TO APPLE  " THEY  tell me " we don't know this problem "  !!

thank you for your answer            excuse for my bad english

• 5. Re: i CAN't read the library of "photo" in my IMAC WITH LR ?
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

If you do not want "two folders the same" then you will need to abandon Mac Photos (see note 7. below). Apple are the ones 'locking' your images away in hidden libraries!

I have made notes from other kind people on these forums, as follows-

The Photos app operates using a library, like iTunes. When it imports photos it's not immediately obvious where they've been stored. In fact they're buried inside the ‘Photos’ library; to find them you do the following.........

*Just a warning on the following - don't disturb the folder or file structures in the Photos library - if you want to move your image files elsewhere I suggest that you copy them from the library and paste them where you want them (see step 6 below)

1. Open Finder and navigate to the Pictures folder on your hard drive.
                  2. Locate your Photos library folder - it has an icon like the Photos app and the file extension .photoslibrary.
                  3. Right click on the Photos library folder and select 'Show Package Contents'
                  4. Now you will see a whole host of folders, including one called ‘Masters’ which is where your image files are stored by the Photos app
                  5. You'll find as you drill down into the folder structure that things are arranged by year, then months in subfolders then days in a further subfolder then finally the folders containing images. These latter folders are labelled as the precise time of the import e.g. 20151212-092245 is my latest one.
                  6. If you wish to recover your image files and store them in another location then select the files, copy them and finally paste in the new location rather than moving the originals from the library.
                  7. If ultimately you decide not to use the Photos app and want to delete the copy of your images stored in the ‘Photos’ library then always delete your images from within the app itself and not directly from Finder.

ALTERNATE METHODS-

1.     Daniel Sterchi May 10, 2015

You can export your photos from within the Photos App. There is a point under File - Export - Export unmodified original. After that you can import them from the filesystem into LR.

2.      Laura Shoe

Here's another approach:

In Finder, right-click on your Photos library, and choose Make Alias. In Lightroom's Import dialog, choose the alias as the source, and choose Copy in the top center to copy your photos out of the library.

Note that this will import the unedited originals as well as JPEG copies (previews) with your Photos editing work applied. If you don't want these previews, instead of choosing the alias, expand it and choose just Masters