27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 12:45 PM by Barbara Ash

Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

benbogart Level 1

I'm just opening a new indesign file.  Several fonts appear as missing, no biggie.  I go to Find Fonts.... Select the missing fonts and search for the correct font (Sylfaen).  Sylfaen shows in the list when I select it it shows in brackets. Change All does something, but the font still shows as missing after clicking.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 3.59.44 PM.png

After I select the correct font and click Change all I get this at the bottom about the font:

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 4.00.12 PM.png

The font is installed on my system and I can use it in other programs, although in other programs it often shows as SylfaenARM.

I've tried adding the ttf file to the InDesign/Fonts Folder, Re installing with FontBook, looking for duplicate fonts etc.  So far I can't get font to work in InDesign.

I'm new here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Fonts listed in brackets are missing, at least as far as ID is concerned. I have vague recollections of having had trouble with Sylfaen in the past.

• 2. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
            Barbara Ash Adobe Community Professional

Quit InDesign. Copy the font to the InDesign font folder. Relaunch InDesign and see if the problem has been fixed.

If you are using Windows, it will probably be located inside C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2015.

• 3. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Didn't read through your full post and now see that you have already tried putting the font into the InDesign font folder.

I have Sylfaen installed on my computer (not in the InDesign folder) and have no problem with InDesign recognizing Sylfaen.

You said you opened a new file in InDesign. If this is a file you created yourself and have specified Sylfaen in one of your text frames, then it should not show up as missing. If this file was created by someone else, they may have a different version of Sylfaen from a different font foundry in which case even if the font has the same name it may not be exactly the same font.

• 4. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

If you do indeed have a different version of Sylfaen, you can download SylfaenARM at http://www.myfontfree.com/sylfaen-myfontfreecom96f31025.htm

• 5. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                  benbogart Level 1

Yes, thats what I'm saying.  InDesign says its missing but its not.  Other programs use the font with no problem.  I've also tried various ways of adding the font to no avail.  Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                    benbogart Level 1

Barbara,

The problem is really that I can't get InDesign to recognize Sylfean in any form.  I have the original font file used to create the document but that won't work.  I've converted it to other formats, but InDesign won't recognize it.  I've tried the link you sent to SylfaenARM but InDesign won't recognize it.

So the real question is how do I get InDesign to recognize the font?  It is installed properly in FontBook (I'm on a mac).

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

InDesign should be recognizing Sylfaen.

More than one font installed with the same name can cause problems. You could check to make sure you don't have more than one Sylfaen font installed -- like both a TT and a PostScript version.

Try right-clicking on the font file, choose Properties, and click on Advanced. If there a check mark on "Encrypt contents to secure date", remove the check mark.

Another thing you could try would be to change Sylfaen to a different font, one that InDesign recognizes. Save, close and reopen your document. Then change the previous font back to Sylfaen and see if that fixes the problem.

Does any of this help?

• 8. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

If you package your file, does InDesign copy the Sylfaen font into the fonts folder?

• 9. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                          benbogart Level 1

Sylfaen is installed only once on the system.  I've tried multiple versions of the file but always uninstalled any other versions first.

I'm on a mac, so no properties on right click of the file.  I do have Get Info, but there is no "Encrypt contents to secure date"

I can change the text to another font.  When I change it back the Sylfaen font does apply, but still shows as missing

When I package the file, the Sylfaen font is not there.

The strange thing is that all the other programs on my system recognize and let me use Sylfaen.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

• 10. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Can't think of anything else at this time. If you send me your InDesign file I will take a look at it and let you know my findings. I use both Mac and PC, and can open it on my Mac.

• 11. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                              red_aussie Level 1

Hi Ben. Try this: go to the website Fonts2u.com; there is a tool that converts the fonts from ttf to otf. As the font is a Microsoft font that was created over 15 years ago, it may not have the right settings. Open fonts are more compatible to both mac and pc. Good luck.

• 12. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Great suggestion from red_aussie.

If that doesn't work and you have any choice in the matter, you could try a similar font such as Menhart Pro.

• 13. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                  benbogart Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion red_aussie.

I had tried converting the font before to otf, but just to make sure I did it again with the Fonts2u.com tool.  I uninstalled the ttf version and installed the new otf version but no luck. InDesign (and only InDesign) will not recognize the font.  EVERY other application on my mac uses the Sylfaen font with no problem.  I'm dreading the thought of having to do this project in Quark (which does recognize the font).

Incidentally, the date on the font is 2001 and it did come from a pc so that may be the problem.  Now to figure out how to fix it.

• 14. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

You've tried it all, so I don't know if this would fix it, but fontpalace.com shows a free download for TrueType Sylfaen font for Mac.

• 15. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Got your message. Google Drive says I need permission to download, and that a request for permission was sent to you.

• 16. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                        benbogart Level 1

Sorry about that.  Should be good to go now, although I have made some progress.

I downloaded a font editor and changed the name of the font and converted to otf.  After doing this InDesign recognizes the new font.  Now I have a new problem.

The font only has one style - Regular.  In the file there are multiple versions of the font, Bold, Italics, etc.  Those fonts never existed so somehow there must have been a way to make a font bold, even if there wasn't a bold version of the font available.  I can't seem to do this now in InDesign.  Is it possible?

• 17. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                          benbogart Level 1

Ahh, but I can download these fonts online!  Groovy.  I might be all set.  I just need some time to test.

• 18. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Good. I'll wait to hear from you as to the results of your testing.

InDesign, as opposed to other programs, does not do computerized bolding or computerized italicizing, so you must have those font styles installed on your system for InDesign to recognize them.

• 19. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

There may not be a bold or italic style available for Sylfaen, and that may be the cause of the problem. Found out that Sylfaen was updated around 2003-4 and renamed Nyala, but Nyala does not seem to have a bold or italic style either, just regular.

You can fake bold in InDesign by putting a thin stroke on the text, and you can fake italic by skewing the text, but of course it doesn't look as good as having the style itself.

• 20. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                                benbogart Level 1

Ok, thanks for the support here.  I seem to be on a path to success now.

I'm pretty disappointed that InDesign doesn't do phaux bold while every other program does.  Anyway, thanks everyone for your help!

• 21. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

There's a reason why InDesign doesn't do faux bold and italic. Sometimes they cause problems on output at a commercial printer or when saving as PDF, especially if there is transparency involved. InDesign is trying to protect you from that.

Good luck, and let us know how you fare.

• 22. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                                    red_aussie Level 1

Hi Ben and Barbara. As I don't know which OS and Indi version is been used, I can suggest to start a basic troubleshooting. Is it the problem caused by software or file? For a starter: in the Application folder where InDesign is installed, in the folder "Fonts" there should be a file "AdobeFnt16.lst" that is a font list used when saving the file that describes the fonts used in the work session - delete it as is created again; and yes, you can have multiple copies of the same font in the OS and Applications. Usually I used to get this type of errors in Illustrator or Photoshop but with the latest versions they seem to have disappeared. As Ben says that the problem is only in InDesign, to me is file related not necessarily software. Also I would try trashing the preferences and before opening the problem file, create a blank page and type anything and change to the font to Sylfaen: if ok, it is a file problem. If the problem persists, open the file and check that the Paragraph & Character Styles don't have this font, or change them to something else; I have had issue with them previously. Also, change the font to something else and export the file as *.inx, and IDML: reopen and save with a complete different name, than replace the font. As I said before I don't think is InDesign problem as other software are ok. Have you tried in Illustrator if the font outlines? Have you seen in Fontbook is the specific font has any errors next to? Not every font has all styles: been a Microsoft font tt, it would have only style 'normal' as it was mainly for Office where you could make bold italic etc within the software. Was the original file coming from an old Windows indesign version?

Please Ben, let us know how you sort it out.

• 23. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Ben said he is using Mac OS and the current version of Indi CC 2015.

Maybe this info will be helpful . . .

I found that when I opened the InDesign file that Ben sent, I had the same missing font problem.

I copied the text from Indi, pasted it into a simple text editor, created a new file in InDesign, copied the text from the text editor into the new InDesign document, and then applied Sylfaen Regular to that text -- there was no missing font error. And when I packaged the file, Sylfaen font was copied into the font folder.

This leads me to believe that there is a problem with the InDesign file, which may be corrupt in some way, rather than with the font itself.

• 24. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed
                                                        red_aussie Level 1

Hi Barbara, I do agree with you that the issue is with the file and not the software. I have outlined before how to test the problem. I would like to test it myself and see where the issue is within the file (if you can please provide me with a link to download); I'm confident the problem is with styles, either imported or native in the file and/or the way the font is saved within the file. In regard to Mac OS, is it the latest version? Some older OS-X did have issue with fonts.

• 25. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Ben would need to answer the question about OS and provide the link to his file.

• 26. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Ben,

If you haven't already solved the problem, I think your best course of action at this point would be:

1. Save the Indi file as .idml; no need to change fonts before saving.
                                                            2. Open the .idml file in InDesign.
                                                            3. When the font error appears, click Find Fonts. In the Find Font dialog box, change Sylfaen Bold (which doesn't exist) to Sylfaen Regular (the only style available for Sylfaen), put a check mark on Redefine Styles, and click the Change All button.

As I mentioned before, if you want the look of bold, you'll need to add a thin stroke and redefine the corresponding Paragraph Styles accordingly.

• 27. Re: Installed fonts are missing and cant be changed

Ben,

How are you doing with this issue? If any of the suggestions were helpful or answered your questions, please mark them as 'Answered' or 'Correct' so that others will know.

Thanks.