1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 2:13 PM by joet082964

InDesign Scripting: Directory full of .AI files, multiple artboards, place to InDesign Template

bobh1196127

Hey guys,

So.. I have something that I'm trying to figure out.

Details:

1. 100+ .AI files

1.1 Each .AI file may have numerous artboards

2. I have a .CSV file containing a listing of all file and their artboards w/ graphic size

3. I've created an InDesign template with multiple 'Master' pages, ranging in sizes which correspond to the graphics from the .AI files, also standardized names for the 'Master' pages

----

What I've currently done was to do all the importing by hand. I would open the InDesign file, copy the 'Master Page(s)' whose sizes correspond with the .AI file's Artboards I'm about to import. After copying the needed Masters, I 'Place' the .AI file into InDesign, to their corresponding pages. After doing that, I rinse and repeat until i finish with the directory.

---

I would like to automate this. If anyone has any insights, or know of any good reading material they'd like to share, thank you.

• 1. Re: InDesign Scripting: Directory full of .AI files, multiple artboards, place to InDesign Template
          joet082964 Level 3

MultiPageImporter will "sort of" do what you want, with a few work-arounds.  The first being, you'd have to save your AI files as PDF instead.  If you can, then here is one scenario.  It's not perfect, but less work than you might be doing now:

• Create your one-page ID document
          • Create additional master pages that match your multiple artboard sizes
          • Run the MultiPageImporter script. It will import all PDF pages into pages matching the ID page one size
          • Assign Masters to the various sizes as needed

This might help if you have a limited number of artboards.

EDIT:  Since you have many masters already made, you could also batch apply those.