4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 11:59 PM by HOTELECHOMIKE

PE13 pan and zoom duration settings

ianb98654678

I am adding stills to a project and having issues with controlling duration.

The default still duration is set at 6 seconds. 

view 1 - the still on timeline before I use P&Z tool - duration is exactly 6 seconds as imported

pz1.jpg

view 2 - open pan & zoom tool - it shows pan time of 6 seconds plus 12f hold at each end. 

pz2.jpg

view 3 - open the  P&Z settings and it shows hold 12f and 5 seconds pan - why is it 6s in the screenshot above ?

pz3.jpg

view 4 - P&Z has been applied and the still is now 7 seconds. 

pz4.jpg

The new duration is the original length plus the start and end hold times. If I adjust the hold times within the tool the duration changes again.

Seems that to get it back to 6 seconds duration I need to move the end keyframes back, then adjust the still length on the timeline,  which is very tedious.

My main question - Am I missing a setting that explains why the P&Z setting of 5 seconds pan becomes 6 seconds on the timeline ? 

Also,

My preference would be to adjust the hold times according to content - eg by scrubbing the value as needed - but without changing the overall duration.

Is there a setting to constrain overall duration while hold values are changed only with reference to the start and finish of the duration ?

thanks for any advice...

Ian

• 1. Re: PE13 pan and zoom duration settings
          HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

That looks like Yellowstone?  Not been there but we got some good footage at Bumpass Hell (Lassen Volcanic park) back in 2014...

On the subject of "Pan and Zoom" I found the following helpful: Premiere Elements tutorial: Creating a motion path with the Pan & Zoom tool | lynda.com - YouTube

In particular the advice at 3:40 in the tutorial to disable the 1-second HOLD I found to be useful (I agree with him that it looks better without).

You might like to try that.

What I have not yet worked out is: if you have applied pan-and-zoom and then decide to make the clip longer the additional clip time is without motion (I had hoped that it would just extend the pann-and-zoom over the entore frame).  Only way I found was to reset the pan&zoom and recreate it again.

• 2. Re: PE13 pan and zoom duration settings
            ianb98654678 Level 1

Hi

It is Geysir in Iceland.

I have seen the video mentioned and at times I do disable the hold, particularly if I am animating a still amongst video. In this case I am animating for a slide show and I often prefer to dwell on parts of a pic.  Ideally, I would like to tweak the hold for each pic as appropriate without changing the overall duration.

Re your question - I think the issue is that when you extend or shorten the still on the timeline, the pan time and hence the relative positions of the keyframes do not change.  If you want to make it longer, you could try first extending the still (ie to right), then open pan & zoom tool and grab the diamond at end of the pan and drag it to the end of the clip.  

rgds

• 3. Re: PE13 pan and zoom duration settings
              HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Iceland - after posting i had my doubts about Yellowstone.  Anyhow - Iceland is "on the list" as places to visit (is closer to Europe...)

I also use pan& zoom for slide shows attended to the end of a video.

Will try your suggestion re extending..

• 4. Re: PE13 pan and zoom duration settings
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1
                Re your question - I think the issue is that when you extend or shorten the still on the timeline, the pan time and hence the relative positions of the keyframes do not change.  If you want to make it longer, you could try first extending the still (ie to right), then open pan & zoom tool and grab the diamond at end of the pan and drag it to the end of the clip. 

I confirm that the above works (I did previously have HOLD set to zero).