4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 11:54 AM by HOTELECHOMIKE

"HowTo" PE14.1 / Movie Menus / Menu Background Requirements

HOTELECHOMIKE

PE 14.1 on a WIN7 PC...

Completing a HD (PAL) video by adding the Movie Menu.  I selected Travel / Countryside and set a couple of movie markers.

Now I'm adjusting the menu background.  Changing the audio works fine.

My intention is to replace the standard background by that from a still photo.  I first just applied a high-res (4128 x 2322) example & whilst it looked OK (see first screen shot below)

once I ran Preview Disc it has black bars @ top & bottom.

MM-1.jpg

MM-2.jpg

I assume that when a physical disc is created it would look the same (with black bars).

I then made a section of the photo with 2000 x 1500 pixels (as is recommended when including photos into HD videos) but this resulted in black margins all round.

Does anyone know what the optimal dimentions of a "still" photo are required for a Menu Background?  I've scanned the documentation but am none the wiser.

• 1. Re: "HowTo" PE14.1 / Movie Menus / Menu Background Requirements
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make the still 1920x1080 for BD and 1050x576 for DVD.

• 2. Re: "HowTo" PE14.1 / Movie Menus / Menu Background Requirements
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I created a still with size 1920 x 1080 and the effect was much as above - it looked OK within the Movie Menu preview but when I ran Preview Disc the black bars were there again.

I have not got as far as actually burning the Blu Ray yet so maybe that would be OK - and even with black bars its not a disaster.

• 3. Re: "HowTo" PE14.1 / Movie Menus / Menu Background Requirements
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make an iso and see what it looks like.

• 4. Re: "HowTo" PE14.1 / Movie Menus / Menu Background Requirements
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Here are the results of today's tests (the finished video is now 12:30 minutes long).

1) Blu-Ray: created a 1.9 GB ISO file.  Burnt to Blu-Ray disc via ImgBurn.

When played back on PC there were narrow black horizontal bars at top & bottom of screen when looking @ the menus but video itself had no margins.

When played back on a Blu-Ray player attached to a TV there was a black margin around the entire menus but again the video itself had no margins.

TBH these black margins are not really a big issue.

When played back on both PC & player/TV the audio (music) I had attached to the main menue & scenes menu played until a menue item was selected.

Video quality was good.

2) DVD: created a 732 MB ISO file (no changes made to the project after (1) above).  Burnt to DVD disc via ImgBurn.

When played back on PC there were no margins when looking @ the menus & the video itself is OK.

When played back on a DVD player attached to a TV there were also no margins.

In both cases the audio (music) I had attached to the main menue & scenes menu did NOT play at all!

I found the video quality to be rather dissapointing (Export & Share only offered SD 576 as best AFAIK).  Can one do anything here?

3) MP4: created a 1.3 GB file.  Plays back fine on a PC.