23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 1:23 PM by The Armenian

Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

The Armenian

The flag to 'Automatically update XMP' is enabled in Catalog Settings.

A recent behavior has developed where Lightroom thinks that the .DNG file is read-only access and can't write to XMP and produces the following message:

Photos have read-only access. (1)

<photo filename>

Lightroom is running Windows 10 (64 bits). None of the files have Read-Only Access checked. Further,

If I create a Virtual Copy of the original .DNG file all changes made to the copy, say in Develop Module appear to update to XMP.

Can anyone shed light on how I fix the issue?

thanks in advance

Vartkes

• 1. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
          dj_paige Level 9

So, do I believe Lightroom who says "Photos have read-only access", or do I believe you when you say "None of the files have Read-Only Access checked"??

To tell you the truth, in this case I believe Lightroom. If you really want us to believe that the file really doesn't have read-only access, we'd need to see some screen captures to prove it. Show us a screen cpature of Lightroom so we can see the file name of the photo selected, and also a screen capture of the properties on this photo file in your operating system.

I don't think virtual copies have any relevance here, they are VIRTUAL, not real files.

• 2. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
            The Armenian Level 1

Here are the screenshots. There is no reason for you to disbelieve me.

• 3. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
              dj_paige Level 9

So the next question is did you perhaps accidentally import the photo into Lightroom using COPY, which would put it in a different folder than K:\Images_2\2015\2015-10-07

If you right-click on the photo in Lightroom and select Show in Explorer, what folder opens?

• 4. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                The Armenian Level 1

I use IMPORT > COPY as DNG to ingest images since I started using Lr several years ago.

Here is the screen capture:

ALSO, notice that there is a file that "appears to be a Ms WORD" file in the same folder. I have no idea what this file is and why it appeared. I tried to open this file in WORD to see what it is. I am unable to attach the .SWP file. When I open it in WORD I find that Parametric values - presumably associated with the _2227.dng is contained in the file. It occupies multiple pages.The _2227.DNG next to it is displaying the same behaviour as the _2222 I used as example above.

I should also mention that not all files in K:.Images2\2015\..... are behaving the same way.

Here is a sample.

• 5. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Some thoughts:

- Is K: an internal/external drive, hard drive/SSD, USB flash drive?

- Applications will sometimes report strange errors when the drive is failing.

- On Windows, even though the Properties window shows Read-only unchecked, LR still might not have write permission for the file.  The most reliable way to ensure you have write access is to click the Advanced button, then the Effective Access tab, then Select A User and type in your username.   If you are running LR as administrator, then type in "Administrator" rather than your username.  (Sometimes people configured LR to run as administrator in the past to workaround other issues, and then they forgot.)   Administrator won't necessarily have write permissions to a file even if your username does.

• 6. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                    dj_paige Level 9

- On Windows, even though the Properties window shows Read-only unchecked, LR still might not have write permission for the file.  The most reliable way to ensure you have write access is to click the Advanced button, then the Effective Access tab, then Select A User and type in your username.   If you are running LR as administrator, then type in "Administrator" rather than your username.  (Sometimes people configured LR to run as administrator in the past to workaround other issues, and then they forgot.)   Administrator won't necessarily have write permissions to a file even if your username does.

sometimes rebooting the computer fixes this problem as well

• 7. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                      The Armenian Level 1

K: is an external drive; WD My Book Duo, 6TB, RAID 1, connected via USB 3.0, The drive is always connected and houses all my data including Lr Catalog and Image folders and much other data. The Drive is only couple of months old. The WD Drive diagnostics show no error or dysfunction. I have used this configuration for the past several years with a previous WD RAID 1 and Windows 7. Now I run Windows 10. I have not seen this behaviour previously; going all the way back to Lr 2!

I will next try out your suggestion for setting the condition. I will write upon the outcome seperately

Thanks MVP

• 8. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                        The Armenian Level 1

Hi MVP and dj_palge,

As you see from the attached snip, in Windows 10 there is no Effectiive Access tab. The Path I took is:

However, I FOUND under Explorer > Advanced Security>...>Effective Access the user Owner has write access to the folder that contains the subfolder that contains the example files that started this discussion. Here is the snip

The intermediate screen between "Advanced Security" and "Effective Access" is the following:

Thank you both staying with me here. This is now confusing me too.

• 9. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                          The Armenian Level 1

Unfortunately, RESTART has not resolved this issue.

• 10. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

Sorry, to get to the Effective Access dialog, you can do Properties > Security tab > Advanced button > Effective Access tab (I forgot the Security tab).  But you got there through another path, good.

Your screenshot shows two things:

1. The owner of the file is S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000, not the username you use to log into Windows (e.g. "vartkes" or whatever).  I've never fully understood all of Windows permissions, but I think this may indicate that your username (e.g. "vartkes") doesn't actually own this file.  The long owner identifier (S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000) indicates that the owner is a user on another computer that doesn't exist on this computer.   Was this file originally created on another computer?

2. When you clicked "Select a user", evidently you typed "Owner" (which is a special group in Windows) rather than the actual username you use to log into Windows.  Redo the steps for viewing Effective Access, but this time click "Select a user" and enter your username.  Post the screenshot.

• 11. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                              The Armenian Level 1

Hi MVP,

Yes the content of the current K: was copied from the previous RAID 1 drive. That drive was then disconnected. This operation was conducted under Windows 7. BTW - my sign-in to Windows name is "owner". I am also the only user.

As you see below the Owner shown in the snip is Administrators - which is the result of me mucking around. Do you suggest that I "Change" it to myself "Owner"?

Here is the snip K:\Images2

Here is the snip from User Accounts

thank you

• 12. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

my sign-in to Windows name is "owner".

Got it.  I was mistaken -- the built-in name is called "Owner Rights", not "Owner"..

• 13. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

You mentioned that not all files on K: get the read-only LR error.  So try this: Check the owner of a file that still gets the error and the owner of a file that doesn't get the error.  I'm wondering if files owned by S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000 cause the error, and files owned by "Owner" don't get the error.   If that's the case, then there is a clean way of fixing the problem.

• 14. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                    The Armenian Level 1

Hi, So shall I change the Owner at the top to "Owner" from Administrators (...) ?

BTW, this drive contains many documents used by various Windows Office, Adobe reader, Ps, Bridge etc and NONE are having this issue, except Lightroom.

However let me know who to set the K:\ and Images and Images_2 folders to change to:

thanks

• 15. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

Let's first verify that files with the error are owned by S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000 and files without the error are owned by Owner (or possibly Administrators).

• 16. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                        The Armenian Level 1

Here is a folder where all three files showing the symptoms

here is the snip from a folder which is not showing the symptoms.

Note that the parent folder for both of these is K:\Images_2. As I indicated in the previous post this parent and K:\ above it have the Administrators (...) as the Owner. Clearly this discontinuity can't be normal operating mode - there again what do I know?

I am going to Restart the machine after I post this image and see if this changes anything.

• 17. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

The owner in both cases is S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000, so that disproves my initial hypothesis.  However, there is a difference in permissions between the two cases.  First case:

Untitled1.png

Second case:

Untitled2.png

I'm wondering if that is the cause.  I've had problems in the past moving external drives between Windows systems that were caused by "Account Unknown" in the permissions.  My suggestion for cleaning this up "right" is to change the ownership of all the folders and files to your current username, i.e. "Owner".  To do that, following these instructions: Take Ownership of a File or Folder..In step 5, make sure to select the Replace Owner On Subcontainers option.  

Try it on a small folder first, and verify the owner changes to "Owner" by going to the Advanced Security Screen.  If eliminates the LR read-only error, then you can do the entire drive.

• 18. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                            The Armenian Level 1

<Take Ownership of File or Folder> applies to Win7 & WS2008 R2. The screens and checkboxes I get on Windows 10 are different. I managed to changed the Access for Users (Vartkes-...) which is Owner to Full Control. However I got and error in the process:

Clearly I screwed up on some checkbox. And the symptom of 'read-only access' remains.

Here are the windows I have to change the Permissions. Let me know what you think I should configure the options.

Now I select Edit... then check Full Control

After OK then Apply,  I get the error for the first file, _1722, then I select Continue, then the error for _1723 and then _1724 come up. So clearly I am NOT checking a box I should. Can you identify what? Here is the error pop-up:

thank you again.

• 19. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                              I managed to changed the Access for Users (Vartkes-...) which is Owner to Full Control.

Actually, "Users (Vartkes-...)" is a predefined group representing all users on your computer, which is different from the single username "Owner".

I think the errors you are getting indicate a permissions problem whose root cause is that the files/folders are owned by an unknown account (S-1-5-21-344391972-2027140478-3135197305-1000).  Here are the steps to change the owner of a folder and it's files (on my Windows 10 system):

1. In File Explorer, right-click the folder and select Properties.

Untitled.png

2. Click the Security tab and then Advanced:

Untitled.png

3. To the right of Owner, click Change, and type "Owner" into the box labeled "Enter the object name":

Untitled.png

4. Click OK.

5. Check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box:

Untitled.png

6. Click OK.

• 20. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                                The Armenian Level 1

I followed your instructions and now starting from K:\ down to the ...\WhispyTrees file containing the three .DNG files that are showing symptoms hane Owner set as owner, exemplified by:

The symptom persists. I am noticing that first layer of folders under k:\ - e.e. Images_2 where the test subfolder resides two levels down, have Read_Only 'checked'.

I unchecked it, hit OK, then confirmed attribute changes to apply to all folders and files in Images_2. It went trough and the progress bar ran for about 5 seconds with presumably unchecking all the Read-Only flags. When I reopen the folder Images_2, the Read-Only is checked again including all the subfolders under. The .DNG files inside the test folder have an actual check rather than the black - box of the folders above. So something is overwriting my request to remove these read-only flags.

going back to the folder that ISNOT displaying the symptom, what I see at the file level is:

Read-only is unchecked. So these two flags are reflecting the behaviour of symptomatic files and non-symptomatic files...

"Someone" is overwriting the Read-only flag ON in the symptomatic files. What can this be?

• 21. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                                  The Armenian Level 1

Hi John, WE SOLVED THE ISSUE!

After changing the ownership of drive (K:\)  and all the folders, subfolders and objects underneath, if “can’t update metadata” persists then check the permissions of the Users(…) for this file in the File Explorer.

If the permission of the Users(…) is anything other than “Full Control” then change it to Full Control by checking it and then clicking OK twice. This should overcome the resistance to update metadata.

I tested this with the three symptomatic files individually, before & after successfully. I also confirmed that it works with other symptomatic files in other folders under K:\Images_2|... Thus for the moment the solution to the issue is summarized as:

1. ownership of the external drive should be the User/Administrator of the machine.
                                                  2. ensure that Users(....) have "Full Control" status for the symptomatic file when looked at File Explorer>Properties>Security>Advanced. If not change the Access by highlight the Users(...), EDIT >>

Check "Full Control", OK to get to the next screen.

Note the Access is at <Full Control>. NOW IT IS CRITICAL TO CLICK <OK> AGAIN FOR THE CHANGE TO TAKE EFFECT.

Now the Metadata update succeeds.

My last reply to you appears to be a dead end and irrelevant.

Thanks John

• 22. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help

That's good news, glad you got it solved.

• 23. Re: Can't save metadata changes into XMP - help
                                                      The Armenian Level 1

Thank you for your perseverance on this matter