9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 2:05 PM by trshaner

"make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect

beno8702961

i'm trying to get lightroom to automate the noise reduction depending on what ISO i use in the camera

i shoot with a canon 6d and the free software that comes with the camera - the recently overhauled digital photo professional - does this very well

i've followed the instructions how to do this in lightroom preferences, and i've even installed an update of the software, but nothing is happening : every image remains at the (absurd) default setting of 25 for colour and 0 for luminance

please help ! i have 750 wedding photos to process and doing noise reduction for each image will add an extra 750 minutes.

yawn and thanks

• 1. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
          Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

I presume you have set the import defaults for the camera first before selecting the ISO setting?

• 2. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
            beno8702961 Level 1

not sure how one would do that

so i guess that means i haven't

clue?

• 3. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
              beno8702961 Level 1

oh. i DREAD that i now understand what you mean

am i supposed to figure out the correct noise reduction defaults for each ISO setting on the 6d and then save them ? and ONLY THEN lightroom will apply these as defaults to other images i import shot with the same ISO?

this seems like a hellish amount of work and would require me to make decisions about noise reduction

doesn't lightroom have a way of applying some standards on import based on its understanding of my camera rather than on MY understanding of it? i guess there must be rather a lot of us using the same tools?

• 4. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Default Develop Settings are specific to RAW files. Select a raw file shot with your camera with a specific ISO setting then make any other adjustments you may wish to be part of the default develop settings then use the Lightroom menu to set thee default. Do this for each ISO setting that you will be using.

If you do not wish to use the Lightroom Default setting for noise reduction then you need to set your own defaults.

• 5. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "doesn't lightroom have a way of applying some standards on import based on its understanding of my camera rather than on MY understanding of it? i guess there must be rather a lot of us using the same tools?"

That is exactly that they do when they create a profile specific to your Camera Make and Model for developing the raw files. That is why there is always a wait for support to be added when a new camera model is introduced.

Quote "this seems like a hellish amount of work and would require me to make decisions about noise reduction"

Yes, if the defaults they have selected do not meet your taste that is what you would need to do. Lots of tools provided. There are also additional profiles available in the Develop Module, Camera Calibration panel to emulate some of the special selection from your camera.

• 6. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

beno8702961 wrote:

am i supposed to figure out the correct noise reduction defaults for each ISO setting on the 6d and then save them ? and ONLY THEN lightroom will apply these as defaults to other images i import shot with the same ISO

Rather than use 'Make defaults specific to camera ISO settings' why not use the Filter bar to adjust images with "like ISO values" in groups. Adjust the first image and then Sync just the NR settings to the remaining images in the Filter group. Move on to the next ISO setting group and repeat. If you only used  a few ISO settings this should take very little time and then you can move to the image dependent adjustments.

How many ISO settings did you actually use? If you used an in-camera 'Auto ISO' setting you'll have many different ISO settings. In this case you can select multiple ISO settings in the Filter Bar and adjust them in similar noise performance groups, such as ISO 100-400, >400-800, >800-1600, >1600-3200.

Keep in mind that you may have to separately adjust images that are under-exposed (i.e. Exposure setting >1.0) and/or have have a high Shadows setting (>50). These images will require higher NR settings even when using 'Make defaults specific to camera ISO settings.'

• 7. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                      beno8702961 Level 1

thank you, wise gentlemen, for your input

i understand your suggestions

HOWEVER : when i import into canon's DPP, the noise reduction applied automatically is appropriate for the ISOs have i shot at. yes, there may need to be some tweaking, but generally the lovely camera manufacturer has made it possible for me NOT to have to do much work

is there no way to do this within lightroom..? the app sees that i've shot an ISO 12800 image on a 6d and applies some appropriate noise reduction on the way in..? given that the setting is always the same otherwise, it seems clear that the adobe standard module is doing NOTHING in this regard

(just so you understand my reluctance to set the defaults myself, i have something of a mental block when it comes to noise. if i let an app do it for me, fine, i can live with the loss of detail. but if i have to make the decisions myself, i become consumed with doubt. that's why i want a manufacturer or a software developer to give me a starting point. zero for luminance and 25 for colour is CLEARLY ridiculous when you think of an ISO 100 shot in perfect light compared with some mad thing shot without flash in a wedding venue with lanterns at ISO 12800. )

• 8. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

beno8702961 wrote:

(just so you understand my reluctance to set the defaults myself, i have something of a mental block when it comes to noise. if i let an app do it for me, fine, i can live with the loss of detail. but if i have to make the decisions myself, i become consumed with doubt. that's why i want a manufacturer or a software developer to give me a starting point. zero for luminance and 25 for colour is CLEARLY ridiculous when you think of an ISO 100 shot in perfect light compared with some mad thing shot without flash in a wedding venue with lanterns at ISO 12800. )

You aren't going to get that kind of automation from Lightroom. If you're a professional photographer you should know what needs to be done at each ISO setting. And it shouldn't take you all that long to make the settings and create those defaults specific to each ISO setting. In my opinion, that's the big advantage of using Lightroom. You have total freedom to customize those settings to what you want.

• 9. Re: "make defaults specific to camera iso setting" doesn't have any effect
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

beno8702961 wrote:

HOWEVER : when i import into canon's DPP, the noise reduction applied automatically is appropriate for the ISOs have i shot at. yes, there may need to be some tweaking, but generally the lovely camera manufacturer has made it possible for me NOT to have to do much work

is there no way to do this within lightroom..?

Actually there is a way to make LR behave similar to DPP. LR's Noise Reduction is ISO aware and a Luminance NR setting of 25 applies much less NR to an ISO 100 image than to an ISO 3200 image. The problem is that the Default Develop setting for Luminace NR is 0, nada, nothing!

Try changing your Default Develop settings. Click on the Master Reset button at the bottom of the right-hand Develop panel. Next change the Luminance NR setting from 0 to a setting of 15-25 and go to menu Develop> Set Default Develop Settings> Update To Current Settings. You can leave the Color NR default setting at 25, which should work well with most images. If you see Color Noise in your high ISO images try changing the default setting to a higher value and perhaps with a higher the Smoothness setting like 70. I've found the Color NR control is fairly benign to image quality at higher settings. You'll need to determine the default Luminance NR setting by testing both low ISO 100 and higher ISO setting images to find a "balanced" setting. I just tried it with a few Canon 5D MKII  ISO 100 and 3200 image files and a Luminance setting of 25 seems to work well. The ISO 100 image suffers no reduction in Sharpening and the ISO 3200 image appears noise free compared to a 0 setting. Keep in mind using ISO settings above ~3200 with most of today's DSLRs may require some additional TLC even with this method. Give it try and determine that for yourself.