1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 7:55 AM by rhendrix876

acrobat xi standard crashes when opening multiple files

alexg67238987

I recently installed Windows 10 Enterprise (64 bit) on Dell Optiplex 9010 PC with 16 GB RAM as a clean new install.  After re-installing my Acrobat XI Standard registered version that came with my Fujitsu scanner, I am UNABLE TO OPEN MULTIPLE PDF FILES AT THE SAME TIME due to crash. 

I ran the update - currently running 11.0.15 version.  I also changed the Screen Reader Options / Page vs Document to "Only read the currently visible pages" but is still crashing. 

Does anyone know of another setting that needs to be looked at when running Windows 10 so that I can open multiple files at the same time without crashing?

• 1. Re: acrobat xi standard crashes when opening multiple files
          rhendrix876

Alex, I ran into the same problem.  I believe this happens because of some conflict with Accessibility features.  I suspect you have some other software running on your device that has enabled accessibility features.  I was able to reproduce the issue using the following steps:

+++++++++++++++

steps to reproduce

+++++++++++++++

1. install Adobe Acrobat Pro XI on Win10 vm

2. run windows narrator.exe (enables listening for Accessibility events)

3. open pdf documents as fast as possible, usually takes about 15 open documents

4. crash occurs with this error in application log:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          4/13/2017 11:25:35 AM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      w10-p15-mcafee

Description:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 11.0.7.79, time stamp: 0x536b812b

Faulting module name: MakeAccessible.api, version: 11.0.7.79, time stamp: 0x536b7f3b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001e95f

Faulting process id: 0x5d0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b48351dd79cd

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\MakeAccessible.api

Report Id: 6e48746f-b30c-4138-8b05-7da18700808c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

++++++++++++++

Workaround: Disable accessibility for Adobe:

I have been able to prevent the issue by renaming the Accessibility plugins for Adobe, details are in this article:

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2011/08/19/acrobatreader-how-to-disable-the-reading-untagg ed-document-dialog/

I renamed the following two files, once renamed, I am unable to recreate the crash:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\Accessibility.api

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\ReadOutLoud.api

renamed to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\Accessibility.api.bak

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\ReadOutLoud.api.bak

If you ever need the accessibility features, you can rename them back.

+++++++++++++

So my big question here is, can we have Adobe look into this issue?  Many software tools leverage accessibility tools and this crash prevents users that require accessibility from using Adobe efficiently.

Thanks