13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 1:57 PM by adamneer

Client can't open my newer version of AE

truetree

I have Adobe CC and have the latest version of AE (13) but my client has AE CS6. They can't open my AE file and I can't save to that legacy format.

I've read in some other forums that you can save to 12 from 13, and then save to 6 in AE 12, but I can't install AE 12 though as

it is not showing in my CC dropdown. I only have 4 apps showing under "View previous versions" and AE isn't one of them. What should I do?

Thanks!

Ken

Screenshot 2016-03-30 14.48.57.png

Screenshot 2016-03-30 14.48.13.png

• 1. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are just not drilling down far enough. Expand the Find Additional Apps section. You should  be able to go back all the way to CS6.

• 2. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
            truetree Level 1

It is expanded. After Effects is not listed.

Screenshot 2016-03-30 16.52.42.png

• 4. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
              truetree Level 1

Thanks Szalam, but I did exactly as that link shows but only 4 apps are shown when I go there. Its weird.

• 5. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                adamneer Level 2

I have to ask - how difficult could it have been for Adobe to make it possible to save down to more than 1 legacy format from within the latest AE?  Illustrator can save an AI file down like 10 years within it's own save dialog, but AE has to have a separate menu item just to save it down a single version.  It's such a waste of hard drive space having to keep a copy of original CC just to open a project to save it down a version (since CS6 is still in heavy use throughout the industry).  Even more confounding, is that despite CC2015 being a complete re-architecture, it can somehow work just fine with CC2014 and vice-versa, yet even going from CS5.5 to CS6 broke file compatibility.  It seems awfully coincidental that once Adobe got customers on a subscription model, projects became backwards/forwards compatible.

And in regards to OP not being able to find a download link for the legacies - it should not require a special how-to page complete with highlighted screenshots to show their customers where to find available downloads.  The CC interface is so needlessly complicated.  Make it easy - list ALL CS6 apps under one umbrella and ALL CC apps under another and so on... Have those bundles listed under drop downs just like the stupid "Previous Versions" and "Find Additional Apps", which are clearly not cutting it.

Oh Adobe, how nice it would be if you could just put your marketing dollars to use in core product development, instead of relying on user-operated forums to clear up your software faults.

• 6. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                  truetree Level 1

totally agree adamneer Its not an ideal experience.

Still no solution.

• 7. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are still not drilling down far enough.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 7.49.17 AM.png

Go to Find Additional Apps, open the drop down, select View Previous Versions: CS6 is shown as just After Effects:

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 7.51.03 AM.png

As far as saving back more than one version that's not likely to happen. It hasn't been very long since we have had the ability to save back one version. The way AE is being updated and the compatibility requirements of effects makes this feature a difficult proposition. It's a lot more complicated than any of the other Adobe apps. Any professional would keep at least two versions of AE on their system at all times. I keep 3. You also should be carefully considering your contracts and agreements with clients so you know you can easily fulfill the delivery requirements before you agree to do the work. If I had a client that came to me today and said that they needed me to deliver project files in CS6 format I would first explain to them that going back that far may involve limiting the creative options I have to do the project and I would ask for more money. Depending on the project it may be a lot more money because to be completely honest with the client I should create the entire project in CS6 using CS6 compatible effects only that the client has and that's going to take more time.

• 8. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                      truetree Level 1

Its working now! I was drilling into the Adobe widget like you suggested, but it was not populating with any more than 4 apps until today. It's very strange behavior.

There was a problem with my Adobe billing and perhaps that is why it was acting funny.

As for taking on clients, I work for a company that has many clients and I do not have any say in who I choose.

When working freelance, I always do as you suggest and only take on work knowing for sure that I can deliver what file format the client wants.

Either way, it is working now. Thank you for your input !

• 9. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                        adamneer Level 2

Oh come on, Rick. Your explanation is exactly the type of BS that Adobe uses to excuse their lack of  interest in backwards compatibility. No one is expecting them to guarantee 3rd party effect compatibility and their internal library rarely changes enough to warrant the breaks in compatibility. Even if you use an effect that didn't exist 2 versions prior, the obvious solution would be to handle the comp, layer or effect like offline media. Let's be honest here,  Adobe knew their customers were likely to work in an environment that wasn't always on the same version. They used this compatibility break as an incentive to get people to upgrade to the latest version. You don't find it just a little suspicious that only once AE was on a subscription model, they were magically able to allow down-saving? Somehow all the limitations you mentioned just vanished between CS6 and CC? The rearchitecture that reduced AE to an unusable mess with 2015 conveniently allowed unhappy users to work concurrently in CC2014?  Having 3 versions installed at once just to deal with file compatibility is a complete waste of over 6gb of root hard drive space. This is undeniable.

• 10. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adamneer wrote:

You don't find it just a little suspicious that only once AE was on a subscription model, they were magically able to allow down-saving? Somehow all the limitations you mentioned just vanished between CS6 and CC?

No. Definitely not. You seem to be operating under some false information.

We've had backwards compatibility before Creative Cloud came around. CS 5.5 could save back to CS5, and CS6 could save back to CS5.5. (See this page: opening After Effects projects from previous versions and saving back to previous versions )

I remember talking with the After Effects team about this when they introduced saving from CS5.5 back to CS5 and they said it took them a lot of work to even do that, but they did it because they knew it was something their customers wanted. They had worked towards adding that functionality as they transitioned the code from 32-bit in CS4 to 64-bit in CS5.

AE is fairly cumbersome code-wise (thus the re-architecture that was begun in CC 2015 taking as long as it is) and it takes a significant chunk of person-hours for each version of backwards compatibility they add. Remember, they can't simply add functionality, but they must test it as well.

The AE team is fairly-small as it is, so until they get a larger group of people working on it, I'm satisfied with taking a couple of steps if need be to save back.

• 11. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                            adamneer Level 2

OK, I will eat my words in the first regard - I forgot about CS6-CS5.5 and CS5.5 to CS5. But I stand by what I said in regards to true backwards compatibility like what we have now in CC2015.  I have no doubts whatsoever that including this functionality is a burden - I don't assume that anything makes it into AE without first being coded and tested by developers.  But I grant Adobe no pardon for having such a small dev team for one of the world's most successful and widely used programs.  Why should I be satisfied with arbitrarily limited functionality?  I've never been one to just "take it and like it".

• 12. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adamneer wrote:

But I grant Adobe no pardon for having such a small dev team for one of the world's most successful and widely used programs.  Why should I be satisfied with arbitrarily limited functionality?  I've never been one to just "take it and like it".

If you've looked through my post history (though, why would you? That'd be weird), you'll see that I have complained about this on numerous occasions as well. The Photoshop team is huge, but the After Effects team (who are building a program that is much more complicated as far as I can tell) is really tiny. Now, a good part of that is because Photoshop's user base is absolutely massive, so Adobe feels like they should put more resources there, but c'mon - that's an insane disparity. (And, you'll note, PSD's have some decent inter-version compatibility.)

So, I will give the AE team slack (and, in fact, commendation) for what they produce with their team. But, yeah, Adobe is NOT off the hook in my book.

Now, I can see some advantages to having a smaller team. You can be more responsive to customer need, you have fewer organizational and committee issues, easier communication, and all that. I think, if I worked for Adobe, I'd prefer to work on the After Effects team vs. the Photoshop team, but as a CUSTOMER, I wonder if I wouldn't rather have a massive team working on the software I use most!

• 13. Re: Client can't open my newer version of AE
                                adamneer Level 2

I completely agree, and I should stress that I don't blame the dev team for any of my complaints, in this thread or others (except I blame the devs for Photoshop's abysmal Pen Tool and poor file optimization).  I find it insulting how miserly Adobe is in regards to AE when you consider how much they spend on marketing and wasteful side-ventures, as well as PS, which I think we can all agree largely plateaued in functionality at CS6.  And for some reason, lately it seems like the only thing they think their user-base is interested in is cloud-collaboration (probably dead last on my list of must-haves).