2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 8:27 AM by Szalam

Why are After Effects CC text animations not starting off screen?

DHowardM Level 1

I have a couple lines of text that I want to add a text animation to.  When I add an animation preset, the text should jump off the screen, then animate onto the screen to the position I set it at to start.  The problem is that the starting position for all of the animations isn't off the screen far enough; it's still visible.  The text animates to the correct position when I RAM preview.

I figured out how to adjust the starting position to off the screen, but I don't want to have to do this for every preset just so I can preview them.

Is this a known bug?  Any fixes out there, or do I need to wait for a patch?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why are After Effects CC text animations not starting off screen?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This requires that you understand a bit about text animators and at least a little bit about how to work with layers. There is no patch that will fix something that is not broken. There's no easy way for an animation preset to know what kind of text you are starting with or what your comp size is going to be.

The easiest way to get started is to select the layer that is giving you problems then press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. This is the Straight In by Character preset and it looks to me like you need to adjust the position value for X:

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.23.11 PM.png

• 2. Re: Why are After Effects CC text animations not starting off screen?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many of the text animation presets were created back when standard definition was the standard. So all of them will likely start on screen. Now that we're all working in HD or greater, you might think it would be nice if they were updated. You could even file a feature request to ask for that. However, it's probably better for you to move them to where you would need them in YOUR project. If they updated all of them to work with 4K, yet you have your text sitting at the bottom of a 1080P comp, any text animation preset animating from below is going to suck. An animation preset has no way of knowing wherein the composition you've placed the text - that's not how they work! There is never going to be a "correct" amount that applies across the board.

You can apply an animation preset, tweak it for your needs, and then save your own version of it. I see the built-in presets as demonstrations and spring-boards to get you going your own way and not as something to just be pasted in with no customization.