6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 4:16 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom Error

tereza14 Level 1

My Lightroom shows a message: "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit". Lightroom will attempt to fix this problem the next time it launches.

Than I have to click OK and it shuts down the program... Tried to restart and ran the anti virus...everything else seems to be fine.

Can you please help?

I need to work on my pictures...

Thanks!

T

• 1. Re: Lightroom Error
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Try the often recommended procedure:

Delete the previews cache.

To delete the previews cache-,

Close Lightroom,

Use Explorer/Finder to locate your catalog ("xxxxxx.LRCAT") and alongside that will be the previews cache (called "xxxxxx Previews.LRDATA").

With Lightroom closed down, delete this Previews.LRDATA folder.

****Do NOT delete the  xxxxxx.LRCAT catalog file!....This is all your work ever done in Lightroom!

Lightroom will create a new preview cache when you re-start Lightroom, and will gradually populate it as you bring images into the Grid or Filmstrip.

You can accelerate this process by selecting the All Photographs collection and then selecting Library>Previews>Build Standard-Sized Previews.....depending on the number of images in the catalog this may take some time, so perhaps best started when you have some down time.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Error
            tereza14 Level 1

Ok, thank you! I am little terrified I am going to accidentally delete

everything I have ever worked on in Lightroom...not exactly the computer

wizard...

I have attached the picture if u wanna approve my next step:)

I am suppose to delete the db folder called previews (there is an arrow on

it), correct?

• 3. Re: Lightroom Error
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

You need to look for file which is ending with the name "Previews.LRDATA" rename the file to "Previews.LRDATA.old"

Once done, launch the Lightroom and check if that works.

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Mohit

• 4. Re: Lightroom Error
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tereza14 wrote:

Ok, thank you! I am little terrified I am going to accidentally delete

everything I have ever worked on in Lightroom...not exactly the computer

wizard...

I have attached the picture if u wanna approve my next step:)

I am suppose to delete the db folder called previews (there is an arrow on

it), correct?

W

hat you say is correct, that is the one to delete.

However images can only be posted via the website, not from email... so your picture never arrived with your reply.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Error
                  tereza14 Level 1

Yes! It worked! Thank you so much!

Tereza

• 6. Re: Lightroom Error
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mohit's instructions are only half the solution.

The preview file you renamed "old" needs to be deleted from your system, it is redundant. The best solution was to remove it rather than rename it.

Now Lightroom will render previews as needed when you scroll, etc. This can be frustrating when looking for files as the previews take time to render.

Depending on the size of your catalog (how many files), you could either select All Photographs and then in the Library drop down menu select Previews and either render Standard or 1:1 depending on your needs. If you have a large catalog then you can render in chunks...