12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 6:56 PM by Kenneth C. Benson

Conditionally display bleed tabs

Kenneth C. Benson Level 4

I have a book with four sections, each section has its own bleed tab. I've made one new master page and divided the outside margins vertically into four equal text frames, each one with its own tab copy. The left page outside margin reads top to bottom, AB1, AB2, BC1, BC2. The right page margin reads bottom to top, AB1, AB2, BC1, BC2.

bleedtabs.png

My usual method now is to dupe this master 3 times and delete all but one text frame for each page. But there are already five versions of this master page (before bleed tabs), so I'm trying to avoid having 5 x 4 = 20 master pages. So I'm trying to figure out a way to use text variables to turn off the tabs I don't want (or to turn on the tabs I *do* want).

Impossible, right? Is the only way to do this just to make 4 master pages? Variables would be so much smoother.

• 1. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hi Kenneth, nice to see you here again.

Are you sure this is really an issue since the tabs get die cut? Does it really matter if the info for the three tabs not used is present and trimmed off?

• 2. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Hi Peter

Good to see you too.

Maybe my screenshot wasn't clear. These are not die cut; they're just bleeds. The image shows 8 tabs, 4 on the outside of each page. But no page will ever show all 4. The first section of the book will show the top tab, the second section will show the second tab, etc. The idea (that I can't quite make work) is to replace the text in each tab with a Running Head text variable (probably two variables, since the text is on two lines) that references a specific paragraph style. Then I can turn the text for that tab on or off with a usage of the style on the main page. Problems:

1) It's hard to use a variable to make a running head display nothing (3 out of 4 tabs *should* display nothing). ID ignores paragraphs with only white space, tabs, etc., continuing the previous paragraph that contains actual text. I found I could use the variable itself in a paragraph alone, and then ID displays nothing. This kind of seems like it ought to cause some kind of programmatic never-ending loop, but it doesn't.

2) Not only do I have to make the text turn on and off, I have to make the tint behind the text turn on and off. I've been playing with giant underlines and paragraph rules to make the tint. Paragraph rules display whether or not there's text, unless you make them the width of the text, then they display no width for a running head that's turned off. But they seem to treat all variables (even the ones that reference some text that *does* have width) as having no width, so making the paragraph rule the width of text has the effect of making it never show at all. Underline works sort of, but I'm having trouble making the underline include some space on the sides of the text.

• 4. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't see an easy way, myself. Obi-wan is pretty clever, though, but I don't think his video is quite the same thing.

Re the underlines extending, does adding spaces work, or using an end cap on the stroke?

• 5. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Thanks, Obi-wan. I watched the video three times. I'm sorry, I don't understand what's going on there. I see that when you change the paragraph style, the tab changes, but I don't understand how. Can you explain it?

• 6. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Spaces work, sort of. They extend the underline. The space on the left pushes the text off-center, which would be fine if the space on the right pushed it back into center. But, for purposes of justification, spaces on the right are ignored. They're there, but they don't affect centering. So I can make a giant underline that's wider than the text, but now the text is off-center inside the underline. Maybe a right indent . . .

• 7. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs
                    Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

If I've understood well, you want this (20 pages as sample):

Capture d’écran 2016-04-01 à 00.13.53.pngCapture d’écran 2016-04-01 à 00.14.07.pngCapture d’écran 2016-04-01 à 00.14.22.png

Right?

• 8. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Yes. How can I do that with one master page spread?

• 9. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs
                        Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

In fact, it's very simple! One master page, 4 variables (one per section).

Idml for you:  Dropbox - FA-2129517_Test_Onglets-idml.zip

• 10. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Mille fois merci, Obi-wan!

This solves my problem using variables in a way I hadn't thought of. What you showed me is that I don't need the variable to populate the bleed tab. I can just leave the text in the bleed tab in white against white and it won't show until I run a tinted paragraph rule over it. You're using an en dash picked up by a character style text variable and displayed in no color with a large paragraph rule under to expose the bleed tab text. The en dash has been made super-wide (430%) so that it occupies the entire frame, which is the same width as the bleed tab frame. And the paragraph rule is set for text width. It has to be text width because a column width rule will display even if there is no text in the paragraph. And you want the rule to display if there is text (super wide en dash) and not to display if there is no text. The en dash doesn't belong in text, so you're hiding it using a GREP rule that puts a hidden character style on any en dash positioned before the paragraph return in that style. So the en dash is in the text and can be picked up by the variable, but it doesn't show in the text. Later, when you want to turn off the bleed tab you're using a space picked up by a character style using the same text variable. Now that there's only a space above the bleed tab, the paragraph rule won't display, and the bleed tab text is no longer exposed.

Totally devious! I love it.

I usually use hidden paragraph style variables (0 lead, color none), and I think this should work that way as well. And I'm thinking I might try two characters (could be any character, I think) set to force justify so I don't have to finesse the character width.

• 12. Re: Conditionally display bleed tabs

Just to confirm: It also works with paragraph style variables. Any two characters set to full justify will fill the width, producing a full width paragraph rule. Any white space character (or no character at all, just an empty return) will produce a zero-width paragraph rule.