7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 1:44 PM by ikaika777

Need help desperately.

ikaika777

Hi, I've been using Lightroom 5 for a while now but all of a sudden after I finish importing my pictures as soon as I eject my cameras memory card it says, "File cannot be found". Then as I've been trying to figure out what's going on I noticed that only when I put the card back in then my pictures are there to edit, so the problem is that Lightroom 5 is using my cameras memeory card as a external drive. Please help me as I need Lightroom to work normally again and I'm at the end of my rope as I want throw my computer out the window. I'm afraid to delete my pics off the card for fear of losing all my work. Please please please help me.  

• 1. Re: Need help desperately.
          dj_paige Level 9

You must be importing the photos using the "Add" option. You need to import from the camera card using the "Copy" option.

For previously imported photos, you want to use your operating system to copy the photos from the camera card to one of your hard disks somewhere. Then disconnect the camera memory card. Then in Lightroom, reconnect the photos to the version on the hard disk, as explained here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders (see Figure 2)

• 2. Re: Need help desperately.
            ikaika777 Level 1

HI, all I'm doing is what I've always done. I open LR then insert the memeory card into my computer then in library of LR I click on "Import" and it imports the new pics that I just shot. Now when I remove the card it immediately says, "file not found". I clicked on the card on my computer and noticed all my pics have my editing history so LR is using it as a external drive. My LR is not on my hard drive but on a  2 TB Seagate external drive. I cannot figure out how to solve this problem. And I'm not a computer whiz.

• 3. Re: Need help desperately.
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the Import panel, change your import type to Copy instead of Add, and specify the correct destination.  You may need to remove the images you’ve just imported from LR, just don’t delete them from disk.

• 4. Re: Need help desperately.
                ikaika777 Level 1

i just tried to do what you said but now it won't let me re-import the pics. They're all grayed out.

• 5. Re: Need help desperately.
                  dj_paige Level 9

ikaika777 wrote:

HI, all I'm doing is what I've always done. I open LR then insert the memeory card into my computer then in library of LR I click on "Import" and it imports the new pics that I just shot. Now when I remove the card it immediately says, "file not found". I clicked on the card on my computer and noticed all my pics have my editing history so LR is using it as a external drive. My LR is not on my hard drive but on a  2 TB Seagate external drive. I cannot figure out how to solve this problem. And I'm not a computer whiz

Clearly you are not doing what you always have done. You have, as explained above, (accidentally?) clicked on Add to import.

Two people have now explained how to solve this problem. Have you tried that solution?

• 6. Re: Need help desperately.
                    dj_paige Level 9

i just tried to do what you said but now it won't let me re-import the pics. They're all grayed out.

SSprengel clearly said "You may need to remove the images you’ve just imported from LR, just don’t delete them from disk." Then you should be able to import. However you will lose your edits and metadata if you do that. I explained a method above that will not cause you to lose your edits and metadata.

• 7. Re: Need help desperately.
                      ikaika777 Level 1

Ok, it worked. Thank you both for taking the time to help me. Bless you both. You saved me 2 months of frustration. Thank you!!!