4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 5:21 AM by andrea imbrosciano

help about cross Reference Type indesign

andrea imbrosciano

hi dear,

i have a question. Is it possible not show the number of the page when the cross-reference is in the same page? by attached a sample. thanks a lot! This is really important... so pls let me know. Andrea Imbrosciano

Cross Reference Type indesign.png

• 1. Re: help about cross Reference Type indesign
          Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

It would be helpful to know what you've done so far. You can use cross-references in InDesign to reference something that is on the same page. Have you inserted a cross-reference in your document? The cross-references panel can be found by choosing Window > Type & Tables > Cross References and you'll need to make sure that you've used styles throughout your document as this is how InDesign pulls the content for the cross-reference. Looking at your screen shot, I'm sure you've already used styles so you should be set. When you create a new cross-reference, you pick the style that contains the content that you want to reference and then the specific text that you are referencing. You can also tweak the cross-reference format to display exactly what you want.

• 2. Re: help about cross Reference Type indesign
            andrea imbrosciano Level 1

Chad really thanks for your answer! Now i'm trying to use your suggest. Another thing, imagine that i have 10 cross- reference (tab.10, tab.11, ecc..) and i need to change the order of the number or the contents of the reference.... it's manageable in this way?

what happen if i delete some reference? Again thanks everybody would help me! Andrea

• 3. Re: help about cross Reference Type indesign
              Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

Hi Andrea, if you remove the text that you're referencing, the cross-reference will show as "broken" in the Cross-references panel. At that point you can navigate to the reference using the icons in the bottom-left corner of the panel and delete the reference. Regarding changing the order of multiple references, they'll appear in the order in which you create them. If I understand what you're trying to do, you want to combine or almost concatenate references. (See tab. 10, tab.11, and tab 12) on page 102. You'd need to play around with the cross-reference formats to see if you can achieve the results your looking for. I've done this in the past but usually end up with a sort of workaround. There's no easy way to reference multiple areas of text.

• 4. Re: help about cross Reference Type indesign
                andrea imbrosciano Level 1

you're right, now i'm trying to create a bulleted list using numbers to automatically give a order at the various table but it seems not the best solution. OF**!!! If i could create automatically a list inside the paragraph!!!!