17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 8:30 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Force last text in column to bottom of column

Kenneth C. Benson Level 4

I need something like Shift-Tab (a right indent tab) but vertically. Something that absorbs all the extra vertical space and pushes the last paragraph (or paragraphs) to the bottom of the page. I don't want to use 27 paragraph returns or 67 pts of space above, because this document keeps changing. I decided there is nothing like this and settled for pasting my end-of-column text into a footnote. This works well enough except for the footnote number, which I don't need. I can delete the footnote number manually. So I should be happy, right? This will work well enough as long as the author doesn't decide to use some real footnotes (this is one of those books-in-such-a-hurry-I-have-to-start-before-the-author-is-finished).

1) Is there a more elegant way to accomplish this (a vertical Shift-Tab that I just haven't discovered yet)?

2) Is there a way to set a custom footnote number style (i.e., one that is blank)?

I fully expect the answer to both questions to be no (or resounding silence), but I'm frequently wrong when I assume I know everything.