3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 10:17 AM by Rick Gerard

After Effects not rendering

jonathanc37658232

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to After Effects and at the moment all I'm trying to do is rotate an Illustrator file in 3D space (by creating shapes from vectors), which I've seem to accomplish fairly simply.

My issue is when it comes to rendering the composition. Each time I add the comp to the render que not much happens, it starts to render and the file is created, but as the render doesn't finish the file size is 0kb....

Here are a few screen shots of my settings, any help would be much appreciated as I can't find a fix anywhere.

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 12.40.32.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-01 at 12.40.01.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-01 at 12.40.16.png

Thanks,

P.S. I've recently changed the CPU allocation to 3GB and still have had no luck

• 1. Re: After Effects not rendering
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you using (down to the last decimal point of the version number)?

Are you using the ray-traced renderer or the standard renderer?

You don't really have enough RAM to use multiprocessing. I'd recommend turning that off. However, if you want to try using it, reserve at least one CPU for other applications (putting that at 0 is a bad idea) and allocate at least 2 GB of RAM per background CPU.

• 2. Re: After Effects not rendering
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I see that your comp is 1080x1080 with a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio.  That is a VERY odd size.

You may not be able to render to some media containers and codecs because your comp is a non-standard size.

What are you trying to do?  What is the application that will next use your rendered file? 

• 3. Re: After Effects not rendering
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you are very new to After Effects you should stick to the standard presets. Your compositions should be HDTV (1920 x 1080) and 29.97 fps unless you know exactly what you were doing. When you set up to render using the Render Cue or the Adobe Media Encoder should be using only the existing presets until you learn about video formats and standards.

It appears that you are sending your projects to the Render Cue using the default lossless setting. Unfortunately you did not spin down either the output module or the render settings so it is impossible for us to know if you've changed anything.

We also know nothing about your composition.

There is one troubling thing in your settings. You have dedicated 100% of the CPU's to AE and that will never ever ever work. That should not even be an option.  Adobe has published an excellent article on optimizing your system that you can quickly find using a Google search for "optimizing after effects" and I suggest that you either reset your preferences and use the default settings which work for all systems that are compatible before you start monkeying around with the settings.

The last point is the same as others have said, make sure your system and AE is up-to-date.

For future reference when you are having problems with a composition select the layer or layers that are giving you trouble and press the u key twice reveal all of the modified properties in that layer. Then start by turning off effects one at a time using the little FX icon or resetting the modified properties one at a time until you find the problemThen start by turning off effects one at a time using the little FX icon or resetting the modified properties one at a time until you find the problem. If you get lost send a screenshot that shows us all the modified properties of the layers in question include a detailed description of your workflow and what you are trying to accomplish. That will give us the best chance to help you solve your problem.