6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2008 8:41 AM by C_McLain

Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4

C_McLain
      I am still using Dreamweaver 8 and was wondering what the main differences are between 8 and CS4? I was told awhile back that there wasn't much of a difference between 8 and CS3, but now with CS4 out, I'd like to know how much of a difference there is.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
          Level 7
          C_McLain wrote:
          > I am still using Dreamweaver 8 and was wondering what the main differences are
          > between 8 and CS4?

Download the trial version and try it for yourself.

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
          "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
            Level 7
            David Powers wrote:
            > Download the trial version and try it for yourself.

I realize that sounds like a brush-off, but there has been considerable
            discussion in this forum about the perceived merits (or otherwise) of
            CS4. Some people insist it's a "minor upgrade". I personally believe
            it's the most significant upgrade since DW MX in 2002. The best way is
            to try it yourself, and form your own judgement.

--
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
              Level 7
              I just wanted to pipe in....and, with all the complaining LOUD about CS4, I
              really like it.

"David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
              news:gijvfg$8c6$4@forums.macromedia.com...
              > David Powers wrote:
              >> Download the trial version and try it for yourself.
              >
              > I realize that sounds like a brush-off, but there has been considerable
              > discussion in this forum about the perceived merits (or otherwise) of CS4.
              > Some people insist it's a "minor upgrade". I personally believe it's the
              > most significant upgrade since DW MX in 2002. The best way is to try it
              > yourself, and form your own judgement.
              >
              > --
              > David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
              > Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
              > "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
              > http://foundationphp.com/

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
                C_McLain Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                David Powers wrote:
                I realize that sounds like a brush-off, but there has been considerable
                discussion in this forum about the perceived merits (or otherwise) of
                CS4. Some people insist it's a "minor upgrade". I personally believe
                it's the most significant upgrade since DW MX in 2002. The best way is
                to try it yourself, and form your own judgement.

I did try and do a search before posting to find some past discussions about it, but I got several errors after trying to search, so I decided to just post instead.

I'd love to hear more about why you believe it's the most significant upgrade since Dreamweaver MX though. Is it because of new features? If so, what kind of features?

I'd hate to install CS4 only to come back here and complain about it like so many others.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
                  Level 7
                  C_McLain wrote:
                  > I'd love to hear more about why you believe it's the most significant upgrade
                  > since Dreamweaver MX though. Is it because of new features? If so, what kind
                  > of features?

Like MX, the immediately obvious change in CS4 is the user interface.
                  It's an evolutionary change, so you can configure it to work almost
                  exactly the same as before; but you can also save much more screen real
                  estate by collapsing panels to icons. However, the really significant
                  changes for me lie in the following new features: Related Files, Live
                  View, Live Code, Code Navigator, and a small - but great - improvement:
                  vertical split view.

> I'd hate to install CS4 only to come back here and complain about it like so
                  > many others.

It seems that you either love it or hate it. The Related Files feature
                  can be disconcerting until you get used to it. It's a new toolbar at the
                  top of the Document window that lists all external JavaScript files,
                  style sheets, and server-side includes attached to the current page.
                  Select any of them, and Dreamweaver reveals the contents of the related
                  file in Split view, while continuing to display the main file in Design
                  view. You can make edits in the related file, and the effect is
                  immediately reflected in Design view when you press F5 or click anywhere
                  in Design view.

Live View uses the WebKit browser to render your page in a
                  standards-compliant browser inside the Document window. It's not
                  intended as a substitute for testing in other browsers, but I find it
                  speeds up primary testing and development.

The Code Navigator gives you an immediate summary of style rules that
                  apply to a specific part of the page. Mouse over the selectors displayed
                  in the Code Navigator, and you see the details of each rule. Click one
                  of the rules, and you're taken directly to the code, ready to edit it.

Other features include code introspection for JavaScript functions and
                  objects, a vastly improved way of creating Spry data sets, and the
                  ability to share your screen with up to three other people. There's also
                  support for a hosted CMS called InContext Editing. Some people think
                  InContext Editing is brilliant. I have tested it, and will probably
                  never use it again. It doesn't fit my needs, and I think it is likely to
                  result in considerable maintenance problems.

One final thing: if you're looking for improvements to Dreamweaver's
                  server-side features, there aren't any. No changes were made to server
                  behaviors, apart from removing support for ASP.NET and JSP.

--
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver 8 vs CS4
                    C_McLain Level 1
                    Thank you David, that is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Now it's time for me to try Dreamweaver CS4 for myself :)