4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 7:15 AM by paulobarbosa74

Advice for Graphics Card and CS6 setup

paulobarbosa74

Hi,

I'm really new to After Effects and Premiere and I need some advice regarding the graphics card to use.

My Adobe version is CS6 and after reading the supported graphics cards list, I know there are some cards that will not work with After Effects, at least regarding the 3D Ray Traced engine, which is now obsolete.

I was thinking on buying a used GTX760/770, but if I purchase a GTX750 what will be the outcome? If I understood properly the only thing that will happen is that, I can't use the 3D Ray Traced feature, but the card will still work both with After Effects and Premiere. Is this correct?

Another question is, do I really need the 3D Ray Traced option, or can I just use a third party plugin?

I'm a bit confused with this and the graphics card is the only thing that I need to purchase now. I'm from Europe and I have been searching for a GTX760/770 in Amazon Spain, Germany, UK, Ebay, but since they are used, some sellers don't ship the items to my country Portugal, or the products are a bit overpriced.

Regarding my computer it's an i7 Skylake based system with 16GB of RAM.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Regards,

Paulo Barbosa

• 1. Re: Advice for Graphics Card and CS6 setup
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

paulobarbosa74 wrote:

I was thinking on buying a used GTX760/770, but if I purchase a GTX750 what will be the outcome? If I understood properly the only thing that will happen is that, I can't use the 3D Ray Traced feature, but the card will still work both with After Effects and Premiere. Is this correct?

After Effects doesn't use the GPU for much of anything besides the ray-traced renderer. Premiere will use it for a lot. You would have to check with folks in the Premiere forum to see if that older version of Premiere will support that newer card. (It probably will if you do the ever-popular "hack" of adding your card to the supported cards list.)

paulobarbosa74 wrote:

Another question is, do I really need the 3D Ray Traced option, or can I just use a third party plugin?

It depends on what you're trying to do. I don't personally know of anybody who used that feature in a professional capacity. There are much better solutions out there for most tasks. Again, if you really want to use the ray-traced renderer on CS6 with that card, you could do the "hack" I mentioned previously for AE too.

But I wouldn't worry about the ray-traced renderer. As you mention, the AE team isn't developing it anymore so you would be learning how to use an obsolete tool.

• 2. Re: Advice for Graphics Card and CS6 setup
            paulobarbosa74 Level 1

Hi Szalam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I will check the Premiere forum as you suggested. Regarding the Ray-traced renderer for what I saw there are better options, like Element 3D for example.

I saw the compatible GPU list of the plugin, and the GTX750 is there, just need to confirm that it works with Premiere.

Again thank you for your help!

• 3. Re: Advice for Graphics Card and CS6 setup
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No problem! Be sure to mark the "correct answer" to close out the thread.

And, yes, Element 3d is an excellent plugin. It renders faster and has more features than the ray-traced renderer did.

If you ever upgrade beyond CS6, the current versions of After Effects come with a Lite version of Cinema 4D for free. So you get a LOT more power!

• 4. Re: Advice for Graphics Card and CS6 setup
                paulobarbosa74 Level 1

Thank you Szalam, I will consider it as well.