7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2016 1:01 PM by Jao vdL

Import failed but did not tell me

alfonsov31097035 Level 1

I did an import last night from a memory card and followed my usual workflow, correctly ejected the card with no error, and thought everything was fine. This morning Lr tells me all the images are missing. When I ask it to find the folder where it thinks the images are, it names the memory card, which I foolishly formatted. I have changed no preferences. All imports have previously gone to a folder with the name corresponding to the date, in the import path. Again, I changed no preferences or anything. Why did LR decide not to import as it has always done? I am up to date on LR Creative Cloud. Is a random readjustment of the import preferences a new "feature"? Brilliant!

• 1. Re: Import failed but did not tell me
          dj_paige Level 9

It sounds like you accidentally used ADD instead of COPY when you imported. If that's true, and you have erased the card, then you might want to try something like Recuva to get the pictures restored on your card (Note: I have never tied this software, but I have heard others say good things about it).

You might also want to change your workflow regarding not erasing the card until you verified the file is on your hard disk and a proper backup has been created.

• 2. Re: Import failed but did not tell me
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have noticed that Lightroom sometimes resets these dialogs after updates. If your lightroom recently updated itself through CC that might be what happened. It's important to check the dialog. It's also an important workflow element to wait to erase your cards until your computer has made a backup of your image files. You want your images to be in at least two other places - on your working disk on your computer and on your backup) before you erase your card.

If you can't recover the images from your memory card, there are ways to get the preview images (which are jpegs) out of your Lightroom catalog so that you have at least something. If all you did is format the memory card, there is a large probability images can be recovered.

• 3. Re: Import failed but did not tell me
              alfonsov31097035 Level 1

I did nothing different from what I usually do. I will vehemently deny user error.

• 4. Re: Import failed but did not tell me
                alfonsov31097035 Level 1

jao, I suspect this is the case. But WHY?? I have several active catalogs for different purposes. The only reasonable import default is a folder with the date in the name, in the same path is the lrcat file. If anyone from Adobe reads this, get your act together. This is the only reasonable default location, provide a dialog if the user wants to save elsewhere, and stop changing these  things on updates.

• 5. Re: Import failed but did not tell me

I have no clue. I do know that this forum while a lot of people here are willing to help, is not actively read by Adobe engineers. If you want to make sure you are heard, go to Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community. There are lots of Adobe engineers there looking for bug reports and feature requests.

• 6. Re: Import failed but did not tell me
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

Is this card formatted in the camera and has photos from a camera?  If so, than ADD and MOVE should not be an option for import.  If it is a card formatted in the computer and has photos copied to it than Lightroom might treat is as any other drive.   As dj_paige said, no matter what happened, you should always check if the transfer is correct before formatting the original data source. 

• 7. Re: Import failed but did not tell me

That's a good point Bob. With a card in a card reader or camera, it should not even give you the option to add. However, I have noticed that Lightroom sometimes shows two entries for a the same card in a card reader in the left part of Import. One at the top (which is what you should select) and one amongst the connected hard drives. If you select the card from the bottom list, it will likely assume it is not removable media but a connected hard disk and default to "Add". It should also not give you the option to eject the card afterwards if this happens. I've also seen that with some card readers it always thinks it is a connected hard disk instead of removable media and it won't even show at the top of the list.