7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 10:16 AM by poppabear69

Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15

peterkellner1 Level 1

I may need to switch from a macbook pro (latest 15" model highest end) to a dell xps 15 with latest skylake, 32gig ram and 1tb fast hd. This is being driven by some windows requirements (I always run windows in parallels).

Does anyone have experience with premiere on this dell 4k laptop vs on the macbook pro?  Editing performance? encoding performance?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
          poppabear69 Level 1

I just got a XPS 15 as a travel computer.  I want to edit my photos with Photoshop Elements and do a preliminary edit with Premiere Pro CC.

My XPS has the I7-6700HQ quad core, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD, GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5.  I chose the FHD non-touch display, because I didn't like the glossy display for the 4K touch.

I tried it on some 4K files with Premiere CC and it doesn't skip or stutter.

I did a PPBM9 test on it and got the following results:

1.  Your Disk I/O time = 66 seconds.

This means your Premiere disk write rate is 562 MB/sec.

2. The time to encode you H264 timeline = 177 seconds.

3. Congratulations, your system has a MPE gain of 731/52=14.1

On my desktop computer, I have the Samsung 950 Pro NVMe and it has a write rate of 1426 MB/sec with PPBM9.  I don't think the NVMe drive in the XPX has enough PCIe lanes.

It looks like the graphic card works real well.

• 2. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
            marcusg43008078

Hey, I am thinking about buying the same notebook. Can you recommend it for working with Premiere CC? I want to edit xavc-s, Sony Alpha 7 s Mark 2 material. On my 2011 Mac Book Pro Premiere CC is not running well and I am thinking of a windows option.

• 3. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
              marcusg43008078 Level 1

hey Peter,

have you jet bought the dell xps 15 and any experience?

• 4. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
                peterkellner1 Level 1

I bought it and returned it.  I've got the latest macbook pro (2015) and I found it not different enough that that to justify.  The disk is actually slower and the 4K does not work well with windows (font size issues on tons of programs).

Premiere seemed to run well.  encoding was twice as fast as my macbook I think because of the NVidia (CUDA?) drivers.

It had good build quality and I liked the keyboard and mouse but not as much as the macbook.

• 5. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
                  marcusg43008078 Level 1

Thanks for your answer. Does premiere run better on the dell than on the mac book? I am not sure if i should switch to windows. All I want is that the laptop works well with premiere. I still have a 2011 Mac Book Pro. Windows laptops seem to be better machines for the money. What do you think?

• 6. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
                    peterkellner1 Level 1

I did not actually run premiere that much on the dell.  On the 4K laptop screen premiere did not feel as clean but it might be that I was not use to seeing it that way.  If I were to buy the dell xps15, I would definitely not buy the 4k screen and I'd opt for the lower resolution touch (I do like touch).  I ultimately ended up changing the resolution so that font size did not have to be set to 250%.  250% font size makes several standard programs (like Sql Enterprise Manager) totally unusable.  I think any program that relies on point font sizes is a disaster on 4K monitors.  Apple does a much better job with their high resolution.  HTH's.  any other questions, feel free to ask.  I did take the laptop on a 5 day business trip and used it quite a bit.

• 7. Re: Premiere pro on a macbook pro vs dell xps 15
                      poppabear69 Level 1

I have had my XPS 15 for two weeks now and it is working well with Premiere Pro 2015 CC.

On the Dell website, there were lots of complaints about freezes, and BSOD, but it seems like Dell has fixed the problems.  I haven't had a single BSOD or freeze.

Unlike the XPS 13 which has soldered RAM, the DDR4 RAM is user upgradeable to 32GB.  Also, the NVMe SSD is upgradeable.  I don't think the graphic card is upgradeable.  So, you are stuck with 2GB of DDR5 RAM.  I assume opening the back for any upgrades would void your warranty.

The FHD display is non-touch.  I like the display, and unlike the 4K display, I haven't seen any complaints about displaying proper size text..