9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 7:39 AM by trshaner

Is it possible to have the ability to view the embedded jpg that is contained in the RAW files in the future .

Lukeskywalker73

Is it possible to have the ability to view the embedded jpg that is contained in the RAW files in the future . I tried in the community but there are very old post . The LR previews do not have the clarity that is displayed by the JPG NIKON D7000. For the first selection is most important see correctly the Embedded file.
      Thank you

• 1. Re: Embedded JPG
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not easily. One thing that you should do is to take one image and go into Develop and select the camera standard profile from the calibration section. Then hold your option key and the reset button will turn into set default. Doing this will make the raw files be very close to the default in-camera jpeg rendering. This should take care of your immediate issue at least if you do not tinker with the in-camera settings and don't use any of the special HDR modes in the camera. (dynamic lighting I think Nikon calls it)

If you want the jpegs that the camera made, shoot raw+jpeg and make sure that "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" is checked in preferences, or use exiftool to extract the jpeg previews from the nef files and import those.

• 2. Re: Embedded JPG
            Lukeskywalker73 Level 1

Thanks but if you see another program like Acdsee Pro you can select easily  the embedded JPG or RAW View

• 3. Re: Embedded JPG

Yeah unfortunately not in Lightroom. I wish you could get the embedded Jpegs but you can't. Best solution is to make the camera standard profile the default.

• 4. Re: Embedded JPG
                Lukeskywalker73 Level 1

I've set this but the sharpness is not comparable to embedded jpg appears to browse images in acdsee pro.

• 5. Re: Embedded JPG
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lukeskywalker73 wrote:

I've set this but the sharpness is not comparable to embedded jpg appears to browse images in acdsee pro.

The embedded preview in the raw file reflects "picture style" settings selected in your camera's settings. If that setting applies a high sharpening amount the JPEG preview will appear sharper than the LR's 'Default Develop' Sharpening settings (25, 1.0, 25, 0). The in-camera picture style settings are NOT applied to the actual raw file.

In addition the way the reduced size preview image is created can make the image look "artificially" sharper (i.e. nearest neighbor). The most accurate view in LR is the Library preview with the pyramid Zoom View settings 1:16 through 1:1. Fit or Fill applies a 2nd interpolation that can soften. The "Fit" view preview image in ACDSEE (or any other viewer) may look sharper, but the only way to judge the "actual" image sharpness is to compare the previews in both applications at 1:1 Zoom view (100% size). If you feel LR's 1:1 preview isn't to your liking then change the Detail panel's Sharpening settings as outlined here:

Sharpen an image | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

...and when you Export the image file in LR to create a reduced size image for screen viewng or printing you will need to apply Output Sharpening:

Sharpening in Lightroom Part Three: Output Sharpening | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

You may also see differences in color saturation and contrast in the embedded preview image. As

Lots of other Help and Tutorials here:

Learn Lightroom, get help and support | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

• 6. Re: Embedded JPG
                    Lukeskywalker73 Level 1

But is it possible implemented this function in Lightroom like Acdsee Pro? I think is most easily and immediatly for see the sharpness Thanks

• 7. Re: Is it possible to have the ability to view the embedded jpg that is contained in the RAW files in the future .

Possible sure. You should add your voice at http://feedback.photoshop.com. I am pretty sure there are other threads there suggesting the same thing. This forum is a user to user forum and there are not many actual Adobe engineers around. On the feedback forum Adobe engineers actively look for suggestions to implement and for things to fix. Here it is really about helping people with using Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to have the ability to view the embedded jpg that is contained in the RAW files in the future .
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The real question is why would you even want this feature. All you have to do is set your camera to shoot RAW + JPG then you have what the embedded JPG would look like only bigger.

For one thing all you are seeing in the Library module is a Preview of the image that LR creates. That is until you zoom to 1:1 or larger. So how would you display this embedded JPG and in what module, Library or Develop.

• 9. Re: Embedded JPG
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lukeskywalker73 wrote:

But is it possible implemented this function in Lightroom like Acdsee Pro? I think is most easily and immediatly for see the sharpness Thanks

The embedded JPEG preview raw file was never intended by the camera manufacturer to be used for the purpose of judging image sharpness. Many camera models don't even embed a full-size preview and all use a low JPEG Quality setting. These settings are not user-adjustable and prevent judging the "sharpness" and "quality" of an actual in-camera shot full-size JPEG image file. As has already been suggested the ONLY way to judge the JPEG versus raw file sharpness inside LR is to set your camera to shoot raw+JPEG with the full-size "highest quality" JPEG selected.

The raw file embedded preview exposure, contrast, color saturation and white balance should be very close to an actual in-camera full-size JPEG file. Having an option in the LR Compare mode to view the raw file embedded JPEG preview next to the actual raw file with LR adjustments would be a useful tool for many users.

Just noticed you posted a Feature Request for this capability. I will add my +1 vote and comments.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/view-the-embedded-jpg-saved-in-niko n-raws-files-in-lightroom