9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 1:01 PM by Szalam

Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?

macbchill Level 1

I'm using a PC with adobe after effects cc and some features are missing. It downloaded like that and I noticed this when looking at the tutorial where features they talked about weren't in my software. How do I get all these features, using the trial by the way

• 1. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, there is absolutely no difference between the demo version and the full version. If it was installed then it has all the same feature. The demo version just expires in 30 days. Second, new features are added all the time and if you are looking at demo's using CC 2015 and you have CC you are missing some features. Third, many demos on the internet use 3rd party plugins that you have to pay for. If you are actually using CC then you probably didn't download the Creative Cloud App and install the latest version. If CC is the only version you can install then your system doesn't meat the minimum system requirements.

• 2. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
            macbchill Level 1

I have an Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-6700HQ CPU which is one of the most powerful graphics cards on the market, why wouldn't After Effects work with such a powerful computer/

[email quote removed... Mod]

• 3. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CPU (Central Processing Unit) and GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) are not the same thing

Is your GPU from NVidia or AMD or ???

• 4. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?

What's not working? Are you expecting Ray-traced rendering or seeing a warning for Ray-traced rendering? If so then the warning is correct because that feature requires a very narrow set of NVIDIA graphics cards. It doesn't mean you can't use it, it just means that you cannot use CUDA acceleration. Ray-traced rendering is no longer being developed because NVIDIA decided to move in another direction and it never worked as well as it should have anyway.

The Intel processor you are describing is not a Graphics processor, it's a CPU and it will work just fine.

So I"ll ask again, what features are you missing? If it's only the Ray-tracing warning then don't worry about it. It will not effect anything but rendering speed with that feature and you don't need to use that feature because it has been replaced by the including of C4D lite and it's much more powerful. I have never done anything with extruding or bending layers using Ray-traced rendering except a couple of experiments because there are much better ways to achieve those effects.

To learn how to use AE start here: Basic AE. Beware of YouTube videos by amateurs that show you cool techniques because most of them demonstrate inefficient workflows that will lead you down dead ends. AE is not a program that you can just open up and use successfully without training.

• 5. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
                  macbchill Level 1

There is no video copilot, no optical flares, no decent effects.

• 6. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
                    macbchill Level 1

It's an intel graphics card

[personal information removed by moderator - Email signatures and personal information]

• 7. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Those are third-party effects.  You have to buy them from Video Copilot.

• 8. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?

No decent effects??? That's not true. 99% of my work, maybe more involve many of the standard effects. With a little skill and knowledge of how to layer and blend pixels there's not much you will find in any example of AE work that cannot be done with standard effects and knowledge of how the program works. Most of the 3rd party effects packages are designed to save you time and make complex tasks easier. Only a handful of effects cannot be fairly easily recreated with a combination of the standard effects that come with AE.

If you want to save time or do something that can't be done in any app then you pay for the extras. That's how the world works. If you are expecting AE to take a standard shot from a smart phone and turn it into something magical with the click of a button then you are looking at the wrong software. AE will never be a click here for the magic app. It's designed for designers.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Features are missing in after effects, what do I do?
                          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

macbchill wrote:

There is no video copilot, no optical flares, no decent effects.

My, my, my. You have much to learn. After Effects comes with TONS of useful and amazing effects! As Rick says, there is a LOT you can do with native AE. Yes, 3d text renders very fast in Element, but you have a lot more power if you make your text with Cineware in AE. Optical Flares is useful, but that's only because it saves time, you can do it all with native AE tools too. I can understand that applying Fractal Noise to a layer might not seem very exciting when you're new to AE, but when you use it together with some of AE's other effects you can use it to create amazing things.

It's better to learn how to use AE first before you start using plugins to it! Otherwise you're just going to get frustrated because, even though you might know how to use Element, you won't even know how to get it rendered properly out of AE!

1 person found this helpful