9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 6:28 AM by José Zillich

import from apple photos?

VL415

Just got lightroom and want to import my old photos which are currently in iPhoto and photos by apple.

Went under file, plug in extras, import from iPhoto library.

But the plug in tells me it supports libraries maintained with iPhoto 9.5.1 and later.  It says my library is older and errors may be encountered.

Before I proceed, I thought I see if anyone else has a better way to do this.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: import from apple photos?
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you wanting to achieve??
          To see the photos in Lightroom with iPhotos applied corrections? To see the original files? To share the files between Lr and iPhoto???

Answer these and we can give different methods.

• 2. Re: import from apple photos?
            VL415 Level 1

import with applied corrections if possible.  As nothing "lives" in LR, I assume I could go back to photos and see them (probably will not).

• 3. Re: import from apple photos?

I dont see any problems using the script and haven't heard of any.

• 4. Re: import from apple photos?
                jonathanp41403920 Level 1

I have a similar problem and would be grateful for advice please. I'd really like to start using LR6 instead of iPhoto.

Any thoughts please about how to get all the latest versions of my photos "freed" from Apple? i.e. I have over 17000 photos in the OS X package, many of which I've edited and many of which I've added titles and keywords. They're all arranged in Events in iPhoto. if I just export the masters, I'll lose all the edited photos (which are the photos I want to keep, along with just the masters of photos I haven't yet edited).

I have further challenges to get to LR6 which are that I'm still on iPhoto (but a version old enough that isn't supported by the LR importer - just fyi, I hadn't updated it due to concerns about later versions of both iPhoto and the OSX I'd read from others on user forums. LR also needs me to upgrade my OSX but in doing that, I run the risk of iPhoto being replaced by Apple Photos which I don't want.

I also don't want to lose the titles and keywords of photos I have in iPhoto when moving to LR6, and I've read that the Events will be lost too

One step at a time though.........if I can find an answer to my first question above that might help me sort out a migration path to LR6

If my only option results in me only having my 17000+ photos in LR6 unsorted into events (even folders would do) and without the edits I've made, or the titles and keywords I've added, I think I'll end up stuck where I am

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: import from apple photos?
                  jennyk61227661

I have same issue too. My seven day free trial is about to expire, and I still can't get my pictures from iPhoto to import.  When I open Lightroom and go to import pictures from my "photos" folder on my hard drive, it is empty.  If anyone figured this out, please let me know!

• 6. Re: import from apple photos?
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

That is because Apple store the iphoto images in a Package folder call iPhoto Library.iphotolibrary and it is in your Pictures folder.

Right click on it and select Show Package Contents and look for the Masters folder. You will need to Copy or move that Masters folder to another location on your drive. Then you can import from that folder.

Or Adobe make a plugin to directly access the iPhoto images. Here are instructions and links in the instructions to the plugin.

How to transfer photos from iPhoto or Aperture to Photoshop Lightroom (Mac OS)

The plugin is integrated into LR 6/CC

• 7. Re: import from apple photos?

Just Shoot Me wrote:

That is because Apple store the iphoto images in a Package folder call iPhoto Library.iphotolibrary and it is in your Pictures folder.

Right click on it and select Show Package Contents and look for the Masters folder. You will need to Copy or move that Masters folder to another location on your drive. Then you can import from that folder.

Or Adobe make a plugin to directly access the iPhoto images. Here are instructions and links in the instructions to the plugin.

How to transfer photos from iPhoto or Aperture to Photoshop Lightroom (Mac OS)

The plugin is integrated into LR 6/CC

Don't Move the Masters folder from the package until you have completely finished with iPhoto - moving it will break you Library with probable data loss.

1. Check the script linked above and see if the works with your version of iPhoto.

2. If not you need to then decide if you want to carry over the edits/etc from iPhoto.

3. If you don't need the edits, etc - yes show the package contents as instructed above. Make a copy of the Masters Folder in Pictures. Decide where you want the files to end up and in what folder format (I use yyyy-mm-dd).  Next just drag the Masters onto the Lightroom icon and import using the "Add" option at the top to keep them in that Masters Folder as they are or you can use Move to create a new Folder structure.

Read this: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/ first for the best description.....

• 8. Re: import from apple photos?
                        krat96 Level 1

Importing via Masters folder as suggested above is the quickest solution, but it has couple drawbacks: it doesn't preserve all metadata (location is especially important for me) and most problematic for me - doesn't preserve album structure. What I want is basically convert my Photos folder/album structure into folder structure in Lr (each year is its own folder containing albums from that year where each album also includes datecode in the form of 'YYMM-DD name').

The only solution I found was to setup auto import folder in Lightroom, then use that to export an album from Photos to that folder, switch to Lightroom, wait till auto import was complete, and finaly rename the new folder in Lightroom to the name of the Album. This had to be repeated for each and every album, so you can imagine it's time consuming and not fun to say the least... However to help me maintain my sanity, I created 2 Keyboard Maestro macros, one for exporting an album from Photos and the other for taking care of renaming in Lr. They work like this:

1. First macro exports all photos from selected album to Lr auto import folder and copies the name of the album to clipboard.

2. Then when Lr moved all the photos I launched second macro which renames newly created auto import folder by using previously copied album name.

3. After each year was complete, I created new year folder in Lr, then tweaked auto import settings so that it generated autoimport folder inside this new folder (this is optional, it's very easy to manage folders in Lr afterwards too, especially since I use datecode in their name, but still found it nicer to have folders created where they belong)

Used that to import >20000 photos from ~1200 albums from past 16 years, preserving all metadata as well as keeping desired structure in Lr... Still took me quite a bit of time, spread over couple evenings, but at least the macros did all the painstainking work of clicking, typing and pressing buttons, all I had to do was launch them and wait to be completed. Besides it was also fun going through the old photos.

If anyone wants to try this route, I can send them my macros for headstart (you need to own Keyboard Maestro https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/ (can't recommend it enough, use it daily for various shortcuts) - and you'll likely have to adapt the macros to suit your own workflow)

• 9. Re: import from apple photos?
                          José Zillich Level 1

Although this query was marked as "answered," and the posting tagged as the correct answer is really helpful, the real answer is NO. There's no way to import the Photos library into Lightroom, preserving all the edits done in Photos and into a new Lightroom library. You can import the original pictures, and even build the same album structure investing the time and effort described here, but all the adjustments you made to your pictures in Photos won't transfer. I called Adobe support and they confirmed my fears, please do the same and call 800-833-6687. 

2 people found this helpful