3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 8:18 AM by Ann Bens Branched from an earlier discussion.

Re: slow motion / fast motion in Premiere Elements 13

rickh18818946

Hello,

I am quite new to video editing.  Shoot with GoPro Hero4.  Learned GoPro Studio.  Wanting to expand my work I've now got PE13.  I use exclusively the Expert mode.

Question 1 - When making a slow motion piece in GoPro Studio, you can Enable Flux which takes considerable time but adds frames based on information from previous and next frames to make a very nice smooth slow motion piece.  In PE13 I've tried using Time Remapping as well as Time Stretch and neither appear to add frames.  Is there a way to do this in PE13?

Question 2 - (remember, I'm a newbie...silly question but..)  When beginning to edit a number of clips, the program prompts you to Render your timeline to create a smoother play back.  Does Rendering reduce the quality of the end result video? Does it matter if you Render or not?  Do most folks Render immediately?

Question 3 - (remember? newbie..lol...SO much to learn) When recording video you can select 30fps/60fps/120, etc.  In GoPro Studio you can change a clip shot at 60fps to 30 which slows it down, etc.  Where can I read about how that is all done in PE13?

Thanks very much for your time in answering,

Rick

• 1. Re: slow motion / fast motion in Premiere Elements 13
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. PE13 does not have a sophisticated slow/fast motion feature.

2. Rendering the timeline only means it makes preview files to make smooth playback.

3. If you want to use slomo (with footage with high framerate intended for that purpose) in PE13 you interpret the clip to the framerate of the timeline then drop it in the timeline (e.g. 120 fps to 60 or 30 fps.) Interpret footage right click on clip in Project Assets and set Assume this Frame Rate ...

• 2. Re: slow motion / fast motion in Premiere Elements 13
            rickh18818946 Level 1

Thanks very much Ann, that helps...appreciate your answer.

Very disappointed however that professional software can be out done in any area by a basic free software.  I guess now I'll have to figure out how to move a slowmo clip from GoPro Studio into PE13.

This seems like such a popular thing to do in so many videos.  Many vehicle tv commercials will show a tire blasting thru a water/mud puddle, etc, and slow that clip down dramatically for a second to show a very smooth splash.  You see this done so many times in so many applications.  Is there another technic to do this, that I haven't discovered yet?

• 3. Re: slow motion / fast motion in Premiere Elements 13
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would not consider Elements professional software and one cannot in anyway compare it to Gopro Studio.

Once the clip is slowed down in GPS it is saved as a Cineform avi or mov which you can import into PE13.