8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 3:44 PM by dj_paige

Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?

pat agonia Level 1

Hello.

I am having no end of issues with one Lr Catalogue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4imuwyyt0kdgku/quicktime%20Lr.mov?dl=0

This is a 90MB recording of my onscreen actions. Screen grabs below.

Unfortunately there is no audio, I don't know why, I've been into System Preferences and everything checks out, even to the point where I am dictating this text through the on-board built-in microphone. But it won’t work in Quicktime for some unfathomable reason.

Now matter, for some reason, you will see when I open up the Lr Catalogue, my 1800+ images can't be viewed so I need to start a new catalogue, collect the pictures from another hard drive (Samsung Nov 2) and load them into a new Catalogue on a different HD (Jan 2016).

This is one of the reasons why I don't have one major catalogue because losing entire catalogues happens quite regularly, I probably lose one in every 10 new catalogues, but have no idea why, nothing is different each time, but these 10% failures just never open up again and I have no idea why - that's one of the reasons why I've never established one single catalogue for everything -  it / they would quite simply fail.

What is going so wrong? Any pointers?

Thank you.

Screen grabs.

1) Open Lr Catalogue, called Nothing / Untitled.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 14.33.50.png

Lr opens.

1878 images, none of which can be viewed.

I have some 25 images 1-5 str rated, I've uploaded some to FB and Instagram, but now, revisiting the Lr Cat', all the images are missing.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 14.34.20.png

So, I go to one of the two offboard HD's, New Folder, call it Lakes 31 March Windermere Lr / Untitled and click Create.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 14.35.08.png

Lr CC opens, top L, in the From Options, I point at the other HD, select the RAW folder, and the 1800+ images and over on the R panel, I apply settings and metadata, none of which changes much. Then Click the To in the top R.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 14.35.58.png

This then takes me to the New Folder I had set up, on HD Jan 2016, the folder (just visible) with the sub folder (?) Untitled, then I click Choose.

What then is different to the hundreds of other Lr Catalogues? Nothing. Yet I have to re load maybe 10% of all my catalogues.

This is the third attempt at this set of images.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 14.36.54.png

The reason why I do not have one master Catalogue is that with my track record of things not working, I can not afford to loose all my catalogues, which is in all probability what would happen. A pessimistic but entirely honest view of how PC / Mac's do not seem to work well for me.

Any constructive thoughts would be welcomed.

• 1. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lr opens.

1878 images, none of which can be viewed.

I have some 25 images 1-5 str rated, I've uploaded some to FB and Instagram, but now, revisiting the Lr Cat', all the images are missing.

There is an exclamation point icon at the top right of the rectangle around the image. This indicates that Lightroom cannot find the photo, most likely because you have moved or delete or renamed the photos (or the folders that contain them) outside of Lightroom*. In order to see your photos in Lightroom, you need to follow these instructions to tell Lightroom exactly where the photos are located: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

* — on Windows computers, this can also happen if the drive letter changes of the hard disk that has your photos

• 2. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
            pat agonia Level 1

This is how the old Lr Catalogue looks:

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 17.21.06.png

You'll see, there are no dng images.

This, then, is the new catalogue:

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 17.30.50.png

At the bottom, typically of this list of dng's in the (new) Lr Catalogue.

It is as though the system wipes the dng files out leaving me with a catalogue, but no images, as you can see in the first screen save.

I have not moved the Lr catalogue nor the file or tampered with the drive in any way. That's why it frustrates me so, there's something going wrong, but I am not seeing it.

Thanks for your help, again.

• 3. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
              pat agonia Level 1

The odd "ra" looks like this, some stray images, no idea why, they're from the upload.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 17.53.58.png

• 4. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
                dj_paige Level 9

It is as though the system wipes the dng files out leaving me with a catalogue, but no images, as you can see in the first screen save.

I have not moved the Lr catalogue nor the file or tampered with the drive in any way. That's why it frustrates me so, there's something going wrong, but I am not seeing it.

Thanks for your help, again.

It's not a good idea to store your photos in the same folder as the catalog ... however ... that probably isn't the problem here. As I said, you need to reconnect the photos in Lightroom using the link I provided. The fact that you think you haven't moved or tampered with the files is somewhat irrelevant, the exclamation point indicates Lightroom can't find the files, and you have to reconnect.

• 5. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
                  pat agonia Level 1

i am not storing them there, that is wher LR puts them by default, always does, I have no control over that, surely?

Lr  can not be reconnected as the dng files no longer exist, that 2nd new catalogue screen save shows the directory, how things are laid out by LR in the folder, you can see the newly imported dng files, meaning somehow LR has done away with all the files it originally imported on Friday. They no longer exist.

THe original RAW files are all held on a 2nd HD offboard, as the screen save tells us initially, they exist as Nikon and Sony and Leica RAW files and that is why the new LR Cc catalogue can be reloaded as a new Catalogue.

On import, they 3 types of RAW files are converted to dng's, something the Leica is quick to load up with as their RAW format is dng by default.

THanks

• 6. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
                    dj_paige Level 9

i am not storing them there, that is wher LR puts them by default, always does, I have no control over that, surely?

You are in control of everything that Lightroom does, including where the photos are stored.

Lr  can not be reconnected as the dng files no longer exist, that 2nd new catalogue screen save shows the directory, how things are laid out by LR in the folder, you can see the newly imported dng files, meaning somehow LR has done away with all the files it originally imported on Friday. They no longer exist.

Have you used your operating system to search all of your hard disks by file name for these DNG files? Have you looked in the trash?

As I said, Lightroom does not do things on its own to your photos. It does only what you instruct it to do, which may include you instructing Lightroom to perform default actions. However, even if you instruct Lightroom to delete your photo files, Lightroom will not delete your photo files without confirmation from you (in other words, you cannot ACCIDENTALLY instruct Lightroom to delete your photos)

THe original RAW files are all held on a 2nd HD offboard, as the screen save tells us initially, they exist as Nikon and Sony and Leica RAW files and that is why the new LR Cc catalogue can be reloaded as a new Catalogue.

You could restore the DNG files by using the free Adobe DNG converter and reconnect these to Lightroom, as I have described.

At this point, I would strongly suggest you view some introductory materials on Lightroom, which should get you a better understanding of Lightroom and avoid these problems in the future.

Free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 7. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
                      pat agonia Level 1

tthanks, but I use the same procedure every time.

I have closed down my Mac as it is almost midnight, but I can assure you the images no longer exist where they once resided.

why this happens is a mystery and I apprecaite the whole concept of what you put in is what you get out but others have been viewing that QuickTime recording and are baffled by this.

nothing has changed, but still the Catalogue can not see the 1800+ images as they have no longer exist.

No other LR catalogues have been established since Friday, cept the most recent this evening to reload the original RAW files.

I Will have a look in the trash in the morning but I did check and there was nothing there at midday.

THanks

• 8. Re: Catalogues not loading - can anyone tell me where I am going wrong please?
                        dj_paige Level 9

I have closed down my Mac as it is almost midnight, but I can assure you the images no longer exist where they once resided.

Yes, that's exactly what Lightroom is saying. But if you can find them elsewhere on your hard disks, you can rectify the problem. Have you done a search of all of your hard disks using your operating system's search feature?