3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 1:37 PM by Jao vdL

Using Lightroom CC on two pcs, two locations over VPN

roberth94304522rhau

I am new to Lightroom CC and need to do all the import work etc.

I have 100,000 images on a DIskStation at work. I will do the initial import there,where the PC and the external DiskStation are on the same network.   I would like to do most of the subsequent work on Lightroom at home where I have the DiskStation mapped as a drive over a VPN.  Internet connection at home is FIOS but at work it is DSL.  I can remote into the work computer but the screen refresh would make the work painful.

I use dropbox to keep other data synched between home and work but I would imagine the catalog for 100,000 images is large.

I used to carry an external HD with all the images between home and work but that was dangerous, even with backups and I decided that the images should stay at work on the DiskStation.  That is backed up to another 5TB drive.

Is there a way to make this work well?

• 1. Re: Using Lightroom CC on two pcs, two locations over VPN
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Is there a way to make this work well?

You can make this work, but probably not "well" One issue is that you can't open a lightroom catalog file over a network connection. It just won't work. You can, however, use images on a networked drive, even if its mounted through a VPN connection. So the typical way you would do this is to have two separate catalogs, set them both up to write xmp metadata files and then when you move between machines, you do a synchronize on the folder where your images are and the edits you did on the other machine should come over. A second way is to put the catalog on a large USB stick or SSD (tiny nowadays) and simply take that with you but leave the images on your networked drive. You can get a 128GB USB 3.0 stick for $30 from amazon nowadays, which is enough to store even a very large catalog + previews. As long as the networked drive is mounted at the same path on both machines this should work. The last but less reliable way (can lead to corruption) is to store the catalog in a drop boxed folder. You have to be super diligent then to always quit lightroom when you leave one machine and to give it time to synchronize before opening it on the other. This is quite dangerous but some people work this way.

• 2. Re: Using Lightroom CC on two pcs, two locations over VPN
            roberth94304522rhau Level 1

I asked this question another way and got an answer from dj_paige that catalogs cannot be on a USB 3 (flash drive).  Can someone confirm on way or another

• 3. Re: Using Lightroom CC on two pcs, two locations over VPN
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It works for me but it probably depends on the operating system and the flash drive and whether the OS marks it as removable media or not. This is remarkably non-standardized so just takes some experimentation perhaps. It works for me on Mac OS X El capitan and Yosemite for example but I have never tried to do this on Windows. I have used a standard USB3 flash drive and a mini SSD. The latter works fantastically as it is almost as fast as an internal SSD drive but it is more expensive. I can even stick a SSD card into my card reader(built-in to my MacBook Pro) and put a catalog on the card (it's exFAT formatted by my camera) and it works perfectly. I can even open it in Lightroom from another machine without any problems. So this should all be possible but you might have to play around a bit.