2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 6:50 AM by cchimi

Any change makes/fixes undesired page breaks

cchimi Level 2

I've been dealing with a problem in a book of very large InDesign files (each one ranges from 50 to 300 MB) for about a year now. I've never asked about it because it's not reasonably reproduceable, but as the project winds down I'm curious if anyone has any insight into the tedious task that has taken up probably close to a 100 hours of my life.

What I've found is that, in these files, any change can cause an unwanted page break, and any change can fix it. As an example, I might change the fill color of a character style (and nothing else). This will cause two or three stories to become overset, and when I hunt down the origin of the overset-ness it is a place in the document (usually a table or figure head, but not always) below which the content has jumped to the next page. Usually this piece of text doesn't actually have the character style (or whatever it was) in it. Other culprits include synchronizing cross-reference formats (even if no flowable change occurs because of the sync), adding index markers, or applying visible conditions to text. It always can be fixed by adjusting the space after the offending line up or down by 1 unit (and usually the space after can then be returned to its original value, although sometimes that causes the problem to come back, sometimes a page or two later). I've written a script that does just this, which brings down the time I spend manually fixing the problem (although maybe 30% of the time the location of the break isn't predictable and I have to find and fix it manually).

I don't expect a solution or even an explanation, but I'm curious if this is something others have experienced, and if it is just a consequence of working with large files in ID. Does this sound like it's worth a bug report? I may have to return to this project in a year's time and I wonder if it's the kind of thing that Adobe could/would even attempt to address.

I'm using Indesign CC 2015, but I believe the same issue occurred in ID CC 2014. Can't remember if I've seen it in earlier versions than that.