I'm using the 2015 CC LightRoom, on a MacBook Air, and a Nikon D750. I've connected my camera to the laptop, as well as my external hard drive. I am able to find all the photos on the camera, and I've selected about 250 of them to import. I click Import to start and the main screen looks positive - it says "Importing files...". This is how I've imported the last 2000+ photos over the past few weeks. But today when I try it just sits in this mode and doesn't change. The little green light on my camera is flashing like mad which I believe means it's transferring data somewhere but the status bar in LR doesn't have even a sliver of a start, and the light on my external hard drive is blinking very regularly and I don't think it's doing anything. I checked the hard drive folder through Finder and there is a new temporary folder started but it's empty which seems to confirm that nothing is importing. Any ideas? I don't have enough disk space to try moving all the photos to my computer first and I don't have a card reader either (maybe I need to get one?). Super frustrating - I just rented two lenses and want to see the photos on my screen to tell which one I like better and potentially take a few more photos to confirm before I have to take them back tomorrow morning. But I can't get the photos to import.
Thank you in advance for your help.
OK, I'm going to answer my own question. It IS working, but unbelievably slow. After 40 minutes there is now a millimeter of imported photos appearing. I will search the forum for faster options, I don't have USB 3.0 unfortunately.
Having precisely the same problem. Using LR 2015 CC 5.5 and El Capitan. Import from camera card incredibly slow. When trying to import some 200 pics the Copy and Import-bar stays still for about half an hour. No error messages. Then suddenly importing starts and is completed in a couple of minutes. Importing wasn't always this slow. The fault appeared a couple of months ago. I tried resetting the catalog according to an advice I found somewhere in the forum. After resetting importing went relatively smoothly. But only once or twice. The next times I opened the catalog the problem was back.
The problem appears regardless of the make of the card or the target folder. On a Windows 7 PC importing seems to be much, much quicker.