13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 11:21 AM by trshaner

Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

David Rayden

Hi all,

Last night I imported >10,000 pictures from my wife's iPhone (I know! crazy numbers, and I had to almost fight her for it, as she uses it daily, but has no space recently.)

The last import I did on 29th February clearly didn't work, as there were almost no iPhone pictures in Lightroom: rather foolishly I hadn't verified as there were only warnings about one picture and video not able to be imported.

So, I was faced with >10,000 again, and I left it churning away, and came back to what appeared to be a success. Building previews crashed Lightroom. I could see the files, but it was giving me errors about loading the previews.

Lightroom 20015.5 - Mac OS-X El Capiran, fully updated. Import via iPhone to USB. Catalogue and files on USB3 (NTFS) external drive via Paragon software driver; with quality cables and no issues with hardware at all as far as I can see.

Now the horror!

Lightroom appears to have:

1) On 29th February - duplicated thousands of my existing photos with a file naming convention: "._filename" - see attached picture. The files are only 1kb in size and cannot be opened, but the original is, thankfully, intact.

These photos are not iPhone photos and were not part of that import, so why it did this don't know! (Are they some sort of sidecar files?).

The duplicate files are DNG/jpg/ORF and any other it found.

2) Yesterday, imported unreadable files. They exist, but cannot be read by LR, or other viewers on Mac or PC.

The pictures below show first 1) the odd files in Lightroom that have duplicated names - they appear as pictures but cannot be opened, 2) their sizes, and 3) the search result with the filename string showing they exist together in the directory.

LightroomImport ImportSample.PNG

LightroomImport Rogue file size.PNG

LightroomImport Rogue file size-2.PNG

The next two are the new files. They are larger, appear to be successful copies, but are unable to be opened. The only successful file is the movie, and this is the thumbnail you can see. (My wife's yoga class.)

LightroomImport ImportSample-2.PNG

LightroomImport residue.PNG

Now I know enough about computers to know that there are many possible issues. However, I am stumped and, having read so many posts on iPhone issues, cannot find any that appear to match this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David.

Message was edited by: David Barber - corrected last picture upload.

Message was edited by: David Barber - adjusted title as it was misleading - the "._" is the prefix for all of the problem files.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
          dj_paige Level 9

I can't explain what happened, but the 1K files are not usable. They are corrupted somehow beyond repair. Just delete them. If you managed to export them, you need to delete the from Lightroom as well.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They are not pictures. The ._NAME files are apparently created when files are copied to a drive (or memory card?) that isn't HFS formatted. You can 'Remove' the ._NAME files from LR, but do not choose 'Delete form disk' since they may be needed by the Mac system.

How to stop Mac OS from adding hidden files to ... | Apple Support Communities

strange file name--what is it?

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
              David Rayden Level 1

Hi, thanks for the input.

Are you saying the MAC is pasting these ._NAME files across my NTFS Hdd? Your link was informative about not deleting them; thanks.

Lightroom is seeing these ._NAME files. It would be nice if adobe gave us an import filter - I could use a wild-card to exclude. (With big red flag on Import that filters are in use!)

Update on the issue.

I'm uploading test files on my PC, as my install is Desktop(Windows 10) Notebook (MacBook Pro).

So far, from *my* iPhone 6 to NAS via LR for Windows has uploaded >814 files, but there are 886: Why could that be?

However, using Synology's "DS Photo" app, all 886 successfully uploaded.

Question: Why do al apps only upload from "Camera Roll" - the "PhotosStream" has more?

I suspect it's

1) The third party Paragon drivers. I've just reinstalled the latest from Paragon.

2) The cable - I'm using another one.

3) The iPhone - let's hope not!

4) A corrupt catalogue in addition to other issues; or caused by. (Building a new one now.)

I'll update after I've tried her upload from my PC to NAS, but seeing as my phone "lost" 60 photos via this route, I don't hold much hope or faith in this. [Edit] - There are only 8 PNG files, so not sure why it's struggling with the others.

It seems the Synology iPhone uploader works better; which is a shame for Adobe, I would suggest.

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. Any ideas spurred by the latest info would be appreciated. Should I mark this as "Answered" and open another for the upload issues, or can I keep it all here?

Regards,

David.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
                David Rayden Level 1

Thanks for the input, but it seems the Mac OS-X needs these files.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

David Rayden wrote:

Are you saying the MAC is pasting these ._NAME files across my NTFS Hdd? Your link was informative about not deleting them; thanks.

Reading further the ._NAME files are created by the Mac system, but are "hidden" on the Mac system. On the Windows system they are NOT hidden so they seem to appear out of nowhere.

David Rayden wrote:

Lightroom is seeing these ._NAME files. It would be nice if adobe gave us an import filter - I could use a wild-card to exclude. (With big red flag on Import that filters are in use!)

Easy to do! At the bottom of the Import module select Sort> File Name. All of the ._NAME files should now appear together at the top of the thumbnail list view. Select just those files by clicking on the first ._NAME file and then SHIFT click on the last ._NAME file and then "uncheck" any one of the ._NAME files. They should all now be unchecked and all others you want imported checked.

David Rayden wrote:

Update on the issue.

It seems the Synology iPhone uploader works better; which is a shame for Adobe, I would suggest.

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. Any ideas spurred by the latest info would be appreciated. Should I mark this as "Answered" and open another for the upload issues, or can I keep it all here?

It sounds like you are talking about a LR Mobile issue with uploading Smart Previews. Regardless, you are talking about a separate issue from the ._NAME files so yes please create a new post for this issue. If satisfied with the solution for the ._NAME files please mark as answered to help others.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
                    David Rayden Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for that. I had to reinstall Lightroom as it was playing hell with all sorts of crashes and problems, but even after rebooting and reinstalling 2015.5 is giving me slow responses, weird issues with panels not populating.

FYI, and the thread, LR stopped seeing those ._NAME files after the reinstall, just hasn't stopped crashing.

Also, I have the original iPhone pics with their original names IMG_Number, but can't be opened, and their counterpart untitled_Number, which can be opened. Weird stuff indeed.

I'll try and nail it down and open another thread.

Thanks again for your time and assistance, it's appreciated.

David.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

David Rayden wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for that. I had to reinstall Lightroom as it was playing hell with all sorts of crashes and problems, but even after rebooting and reinstalling 2015.5 is giving me slow responses, weird issues with panels not populating.

It sound like those Mac ._NAME files are causing some issues with the LR catalog. I suggest you REMOVE (not DELETE FROM DISK) all of the images that appear blank (i.e no preview image). Before you do anything further backup your LR catalog: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/back-catalog.html#Backupacatalogmanually

In the Library module left-panel under Catalog click on 'All Photographs.' Make sure 'Sort' above the filmstrip is set to 'Filename.' Select all of the blank images, hit the Delete key, and choose REMOVE. Backup the LR catalog file again and make sure the two options shown below are checked. Reopen LR after completion and see if the crashes and other issues are now resolved.

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
                        David Rayden Level 1

Help!

I have deleted, reinstalled, set up a new "User" and twice tried a new catalogue, but LR is crashing before finishing. Twice, it completed the "Import" of 73,000 photos, and then showed no previews, just blanks.

The files are there. If I click on one, it will show in the library or develop module, and I can adjust it, but when I return to the library, the preview are not there again and disappear! Really off behaviour.

I have a log of failed imports that, thankfully, included the unreadable files. I may have to manually remove them! I think the number of unreadable files (over 11,000) are the failed iPhone import that led to this whole mess. I'm never importing from an iPhone again, as all her iPhone 6 photos are the problem here.

What else can I look for as, at the moment, I have no stable catalogue! I deleted my backups as I thought a clean slate was needed! (I don't mind the time, but something is stopping the import/catalogue build.)

David.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

In LR Preferences> Performance tab uncheck 'Use Graphics Processor.'

Also, when importing the iPhone files uncheck the ._NAME files as I outlined in my reply #5 now marked 'Correct Answer.' Create another new catalog and try importing fewer of the iPhone image files, perhaps 100. In the Import module Grid view unselect the ._NAME files so they aren't imported into the new catalog file. Make sure Sort is set to 'Fielname,' which should push and group all of the ._NAME files to the top of the grid. See if that stops the crashing. If so try importing some more of the remaining image files in larger groups, following the same exact procedure! Keep track of the files imported by recording folder names and file numbers. Also check 'Don't Import Suspected duplicates' and 'New Photos' as shown below:

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
                            David Rayden Level 1

I'm off to bed as it's past midnight here.

My first job is to switch to the more powerful* Windows 10 desktop and try to import to a new catalogue from thus NTFS drive. The drive has just passed several integrity checks (Including WD's own software) after a Win-10 scan and repair - presumably due to the LR crash on the Mac.

Assuming this works, I'll back up the catalogue and see what the Mac makes of it.

I'll update tomorrow if work allows. For now, thank you once again for your assistance.

Regards,

David.

*Edit: More powerful is perhaps an overstatement. Intel Core i5 4278U 2.6GHz with 3MB cache VS the desktop Intel Core i5-760 Processor 2.8 GHz 8 MB Cache on the desktop. It's certainly chugging along perceivably faster than the Mac did, and the previews are instantly appearing. 11,400 since I posted this, and smooth as silk scrolling and playing. I don't think the graphics processor plays a part, but the four cores vs 2 seem to help. Both have 8MB RAM.

Now I'm torn between keeping the PC and not buying the iMac 27". But the screen is so lovely......

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

David Rayden wrote:

My first job is to switch to the more powerful* Windows 10 desktop and try to import to a new catalogue from thus NTFS drive. The drive has just passed several integrity checks (Including WD's own software) after a Win-10 scan and repair - presumably due to the LR crash on the Mac

If you have the iPhone picture files copied onto an NTFS drive there is no need to keep the ._NAME files on it. You can use Windows Explorer to select and delete them from the drive before trying to import the picture files into LR. If they're in multiple folders do a search on ._ select and delete the files showing. Sort by filename or Size (since they are smaller) to make sure you haven't selected any actual picture files. This should eliminate them as the cause of your issues.

David Rayden wrote:

Now I'm torn between keeping the PC and not buying the iMac 27". But the screen is so lovely......

Just keep in mind that there have been many posts in the LR forum from users with performance issues on Macs with 4k and now 5K Retina displays. GPU support is supposed to help, but apparently not on some systems. I'm using an NEC PA272w display with 2560 x1440 resolution, integrated display calibration, and many other features on a five-year old Windows 7 with no issues.  Adobe may "fix" these issues in future updates, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Juts an FYI.....

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.
                                David Rayden Level 1

Thanks. It worked.

I used Windows 10 search feature for "Tiny" files, as my pictures are not <100K and that bought up all of them >60,000. Also, there were "broken" or "corrupt" copies of her iPhone images, again thousands, with the seemingly impossible feat of having the same filename and extension in the same directories! The corrupt versions were easily identified as they wouldn't show a thumbnail. To be safe, I imported in batches of years while I cleared out the files, and now have a fully clean database on Windows 10.

I put it in the Mac, and the catalogue was looking in G\, whereas the Mac has the drive name. A name change in Windows should sort that out.

The Mac freaked and was slow as it did something with the catalogue. I'm going to check tomorrow what new files, if any, are on the drive from the Mac. FWIW, I now think my NAS put those files on their, as I took the NAS storage to a HDD, to now use the NAS as backup. I have since learnt that the NAS builds it's own thumbnails and data, which is where the rogue ._NAME and .db files likely came from. (Synology DSM OS is Linux.)

So, the whole problem seems to have been:

1) Synology placing far too many files that Lightroom wanted to try and import.

2) Corrupt file transfer from the iPhone making .jpg files that were unreadable.

As for Mac/PC, I can say I love the MacBook Pro as a laptop, and there are lovely UI touches from the Mac, but anyone who says Macs are problem free and better has never used Windows from Win7 onwards. (I've had it from Win2.1, and all incarnations since.) I may just stay with a PC from my desktop. That Mac and Windows don't share a modern common file format that just works is a terrible burden for cross-platform users. If Adobe were on Linux, I'd be there, as it otherwise gives the best of all platforms, IMHO. I may even go Linux with VM, as modern desktop processors can handle it.

Thanks again for your assistance.

David.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5 failed import - ._filename unopenable 1kb "jpg" files.

Glad you finally got it sorted out! At least you know what needs to be done in the future when importing files from Mac to PC on the NAS.  I'm not sure what the problem is on the Mac side, but please post anything you discover to help others who land here with a similar issue.