9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 8:48 AM by Captiv8r

Quick way to name html files?

The web application for which I'm developing help calls help file names like "list_help". I feel like I'm missing something looking through all of the RoboHelp information. When I rename the topic file, I have to redo it upon updating the framemaker reference. Is there a way to map my topic names to the appropriate "list_help" files that the application calls? Is changing this manually and redoing everytime we update the only way to handle this?
        • 1. Re: Quick way to name html files?
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          What output type are you using (e.g. CHM, webhelp)? The best way forward depends on the answer.
          • 2. Re: Quick way to name html files?
            The single-source layout I'm using is Webhelp pro.
            • 3. Re: Quick way to name html files?
              RoboColum(n) Level 5
              To be honest I don't understand the need to rename your topics at all. Maybe this link will help for the options of calling Webhelp output. The same principles should apply to WebHelp Pro.
              • 4. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Hi Michele

In addition to what Colum said, I would ask if you are also using the RoboHelp Server component. If you are, then WebHelp Pro is the appropriate output format. But if you don't have it, you should be using WebHelp or FlashHelp.

Cheers... Rick
                • 5. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                  As part of Tech Comm Suite, I have the server, but I admit I don't know how to use it. After experimenting, I liked the output for the index and search functions better with the Web Pro layout.
                  • 6. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                    Our application already includes a direct call to the topic, and I don't really want to ask the developers to change that. In this situation, that's the way to go for now. The application will include a separate link for the complete help file, TOC and navigation included, so I'm not that concerned about offering the solution in one of the links you provided to get the reader to the TOC. I want just one topic (or links to a few related topics) from each screen.
                    If I were creating help as straight HTML files, I could just rename the files in the topic properties, but I am referencing Framemaker files and will want to be able to update with future releases. When you change the file name in the topic properties, it does not retain the change when you update to match changes made in Framemaker. I've started working with a support person on that issue.
                    • 7. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                      RoboColum(n) Level 5
                      I just want to check your understanding of what the RoboHelp Server is. It isn't part of the TCS. It is a separate product that some sites use to host their help output in a fashion that provides them additonal functionality (e.g. reports on the help's usage).
                      1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                        I know.
                        Maybe you can answer this question, then.
                        When I generated the project as Web Help (not pro), my index and search shows up as a list of words, with the number of instances next to it and no input text field, rather than as in Web Help Pro, I get the text field and a more normal looking Index and Search functionality.
                        Am I doing something wrong in Web Help that is more intuitive in Web Help pro?
                        • 9. Re: Quick way to name html files?
                          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          Hi Michele

Most likely it's related to the settings found in the intermediate dialogs you see when generating WebHelp in a certain manner.

Try this.
                          Right-Click the WebHelp layout.
                          Choose Properties.
                          Click Next > twice.
                          If your setting for the Navigation Pane Preferred Format is for "Pure HTML", choose a different setting. Perhaps DHTML > Pure HTML and try again.
                          Also I believe if you are outputting for Section 508 compliancy this will change things too.

Cheers... Rick
                          1 person found this helpful