22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 1:56 PM by trshaner

Reducing a file size in Lr?

allanw77817543

I'm trying to Edit In a file from Lr to PS. The file is a huge 18943 x 13411 and won't transfer to PS, rolling beach ball keeps going forever. Can I reduce the file size in Lr so that it will?

• 1. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi allanw ,

You need to resize the image while exporting and then reimport the optimized image in Lightroom to be able to edit it in Photoshop.See How to export photos from Photoshop Lightroom 

Lightroom Export Image Sizing and Sharpening

You may refer How to Properly Resize Images in Lightroom

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try 1) closing all apps, 2) shutdown your system, 3) restart your system and 4) open just LR. This will free-up the maximum amount of memory for use by LR.

if the issue persists open the file directly from inside PS not LR. You will not see your LR edits applied, but you can still apply PS edits to the image file. Once complete save the file without renaming and it will appear back in LR with both the PS and LR edits applied.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
              Bob Somrak Level 5

I don't think a 18943 x 13411 file should cause this problem as that is not a huge file.  I just tried one of my test panos that is a little bigger than this and it transferred to Photoshop easily using  Edit In.  What are your machine specs?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                allanw77817543 Level 1

Hey Bob - got it now. Re-started my Mac and it worked, albeit it took 9 minutes to get into PS. Thanks for the reply.

• 5. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                  allanw77817543 Level 1

Thanks Akash - very helpful. Didn't need to resize in the end - re-starting my Mac did the trick. Allan

• 6. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                    allanw77817543 Level 1

Thanks for the response trshaner - sorted now. Even with just Lr live - it still took 9 minutes to load up in PS. Allan

• 7. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

allanw77817543 wrote:

Thanks for the response trshaner - sorted now. Even with just Lr live - it still took 9 minutes to load up in PS. Allan

I upscaled an image file in PS to 18943 x 13411, imported it into LR CC2015.4, used Edit in PS, and it took 15 sec. to open in PS. A 16 bit/color 18943 x 13411 image is very large (~1.5 GB of bit map memory). On my system (12 GB memory) with just LR and PS open with the 18943 x 13411 image file a total of 9.4 GB memory is being used. If your system has 8 GB or less of memory then that explains the issue. PS will use it's scratch disk space to open and process the image file if there is insufficient memory. This will slow down PS significantly since hard drive disk speeds are much slower than memory (RAM).

SUGGESTIONS

1) How was the 18943 x 13411 image file created and why is it this size? If it was created from a resized (i.e. upscaled) camera image file you should process the image file at it's original size in PS and LR. Once processing is complete you can Export the final TIFF from inside LR using 'Resize to Fit' in the Export module 'Image Sizing' to create an upscaled 18943 x 13411 image file.

2) Add more system memory (12 GB total, or more), which will also resolve the issue. PS

• 8. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                        allanw77817543 Level 1

One and all. Thanks for the replies. Feel a bit foolish here - I've Updated PS from 2014 to 2015 and the problem has been solved. I've just moved the image via Edit In from Lightroom to Photoshop and it took about 20 seconds!

TRS: This file is large because the original image is a 10x8 inch transparency that I have scanned onto a DVD at 50 meg. I wanted to preserve as much detail as possible, in keeping with the large format experience. The reason I wanted to Edit In PS was to add a sky. The original sky is useless but the rest of the image (Sleat Harbour, Isle of Skye) is a dream. I wanted to add the sky through Layers in PS.

Once done, I can then print the image measured in feet rather inches!

Newby at all this - I was much happier in a darkroom! (Alas, cibachrome is dead.)

• 9. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

allanw77817543 wrote:

One and all. Thanks for the replies. Feel a bit foolish here - I've Updated PS from 2014 to 2015 and the problem has been solved. I've just moved the image via Edit In from Lightroom to Photoshop and it took about 20 seconds!

Unfortunately there have been bugs introduced with each version update (and some fixed). Looks like there was one in the PS CC 2014 version you were using. When a new update is rolled-out I read the LR and PS forums over a few weeks to see if users are experiencing any issues (i.e.bugs). For example I won't be updating to LR CC 2015.5 due to numerous issues reported here and no new features I need. YMMV

allanw77817543 wrote:

TRS: This file is large because the original image is a 10x8 inch transparency that I have scanned onto a DVD at 50 meg. I wanted to preserve as much detail as possible, in keeping with the large format experience. The reason I wanted to Edit In PS was to add a sky. The original sky is useless but the rest of the image (Sleat Harbour, Isle of Skye) is a dream. I wanted to add the sky through Layers in PS.

That explains the size...no problem! I'm not sure what you mean by "scanned onto a DVD at 50 meg." Since this is an original scanned image file you may want to try using 'Edit Original' to open the file in PS. That way edits applied in LR remain non-destructive rather than "baked-in" using 'Edit a Copy with LR Adjustments.' I do this with my film scans and go back and forth between LR and PS (Edit Original) to do dust spot removal, content aware fill, etc. You can't see the LR edits in PS, but it isn't necessary to do the work I just mentioned.

allanw77817543 wrote:

Newby at all this - I was much happier in a darkroom! (Alas, cibachrome is dead.)

I used to do Ektachrome and Cibachrome reversal printing of 35mm slides back in the 70s and 80s. I'm now going back and using a DSLR scannerless process for both positive and negative film, which provides very fast capture (<1 sec). Here's an article reprint: Dropbox - Scannerless Digital Capture and Processing of Negative Film Photographs.pdf

• 10. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                            allanw77817543 Level 1

TRS: wow - there's a shed-load of stuff I do not know about digital capture and post-processing!

Thanks for the reply/response - very helpful indeed. (Shall read the link you sent soon.)

Re "scanned onto a DVD at 50 meg" : apologies, I was not precise. The sky in my image was rubbish, bland  and  over-exposed somewhat. (Should have had a grad grey with me.)

In an effort to fix it (being unable to salvage it in ciba days) I sent the 10x8 Provia tranny off to Tim Parkin at Professional Drum Scanning: Joe Cornish is a customer of his so I thought he must be pretty good at what he does. He says in his web blurb that he can draw out the best in an image, so long as there is density there in the first place. So he did his best, the drum scan was slightly better but no where near right, a lost cause I'm afraid. Anyway, what he did was drum scan my 10x8 tranny at 2000dpi (this was a year ago) onto a dvd (cd too small apparently) and sent it back to me. Apologies again for not being accurate in describing things.

In the early hours of this morning I successfully Layered a 3rd party sky (as in someone else's photo) onto my Sleat Harbour image. The result is all I hoped for - so long as you don't look too closely at the A3+ print: the sky has barely perceptible vertical running lines down the sky. Probably due to the jpg sky being a much smaller a file than my Sleat Harbour image? Not sure on that one.

I've used Lightroom 6 for the last 6 months or so - my first intro to post processing. I must say I like it a lot.

Anyways, thanks TRS for the time and effort you've taken in responding.

Allan

• 11. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                              allanw77817543 Level 1

Hi Akash

You may have spotted the replies I have been getting on the issue of length of time in transferring from Lr to PS. I think we've resolved that issue now. But I have another problem, only revealed last night.

Having successfully Layered in a sky onto my Sleat Harbour image, I now want to send the new image with the lovely sky to friends and family. So, I went to File and clicked on Duplicate, so as to leave the original file untouched for printing. Problem is - nothing happened, except to say that nearly all the top bar menus went to faded grey - including the Duplicate one. I've left the issue until this morning in the hope that the Duplicate window might magically appear so that I can then Resize and then send via email.

In the top bar menus: File is completely faded grey,.In Edit - everything is faded grey except Cut Copy and Clear. In Image, everything is faded grey: and so on throughout all the other menus.

Any ideas?

Allan

• 12. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

Sounds like something in the CC 2015 upgrade may be causing the lockup. Go to  Help About Photoshop CC....and make sure you have the latest update installed. Here's what I see:

What OS version, 32 or 64 bit, and how much memory do you have installed?

You can create a reduced size sRGB JPEG inside PS without creating a 2nd copy using Duplicate. Inside PS 'Save' the current layered file with edits. It will now appear inside LR with both your PS and LR edits if you used 'Edit in PS' from LR to get the original file into PS. If not you can right-click on the folder in the LR Library module and choose 'Synchronize Folder.' You now have the option to use PS or LR's Export module to resize the file and convert to sRGB to create an emailable file. LR's Export module has an Email feature: Emailing Photos from Lightroom - YouTube

• 13. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                                  allanw77817543 Level 1

TRS: I have  the same Photoshop version as yours : . 2015 1.2 release..

My iMac (21,5 inch Late 2012) has El Capitan Version 10.11.4 installed and has an Intel Core 15, which I believe is 64 bit.

The Memory is 8 GB. (Will think about increasing it though.)

I'll follow your advice above and see what happens.

Allan

• 14. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

allanw77817543 wrote:

The Memory is 8 GB. (Will think about increasing it though.)

Yep, that's probably the issue. Photoshop creates three bit map copies of the open image file and multiple Cache Levels for Undo purposes, which reside in memory. Opening a Duplicate will double (2x) the amount of memory used by PS. Using the method I outlined you can avoid creating a Duplicate.

• 15. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                                      allanw77817543 Level 1

Can I simply purchase extra Memory - or is it major surgery on my Mac?

• 16. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

Yes, but you'll need to replace the current memory (2 x 4GB DIMM) with 2 x 8GB DIMM. A 32GB kit is also available, but I seriously doubt you'll need that much memory. I'm using 12GB and have yet to run into any issues, even with multiple apps open (LR, PS, Bridge, InDesign).

iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Late 2012): Memory specifications - Apple Support

allanw77817543 wrote:

or is it major surgery on my Mac?

I quick look at the below video shows how to do it, but it isn't a "simple" process.

21.5-inch iMac (Late 2012-2013) Memory Installation Video - YouTube

Here's what you'll need to upgrade to 16GB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1600DDR3I16P/

You can also investigate the cost to have it done at an Apple Retail Store:

https://locate.apple.com/

• 17. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                                          allanw77817543 Level 1

TRS: Again, thanks for all your replies.

I'll organise an upgrade to 16GB as soon as.

Could you help me with another small point. I want to delete an image from PS. There doesn't seem to be a button to select to do so. Is it as simple as dragging something to the trash?

Allan

• 18. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

Do NOT delete, rename or move image files from outside LR. They will appear with a '!' missing file icon and have to be relocated manually to reconnect them in the LR catalog....DON'T DO THAT! Only do this from inside LR using its tools.

• 19. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                                              allanw77817543 Level 1

Okay TRS: I am duly warned!

So, if I delete the copy that I've transferred from Lr (delete in Lr that is) will the file in PS be deleted automatically?

Or will the image simply stay in PS for eternity?

• 20. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

OK, we need to clear up some of the basic differences between LR and PS.

When you import files into LR they will appear in the Library module under 'Folders.' LR Folders view is NOT connected to the Windows Explorer or Mac Finder file system. LR uses its own database for file location. Files and folders are only visible after being imported, which enters them into the LR Catalog database. The files remain on the hard drive at the location they were imported from with Add, moved to with Move, and copied to with Copy selection. When loading camera image files from a memory card the only option is Copy as DNG and Copy. LR will not allow you to import image files that are stored on what is considered "temporary" removable flash media such as memory cards and USB thumb drives. When you delete, rename or move a file or folder with Windows Explorer or Mac Finder (or anything but LR) the LR Catalog database entry is no longer correct and the files for all intents are "lost" inside LR.

Missing Files « Julieanne Kost's Blog

allanw77817543 wrote:

So, if I delete the copy that I've transferred from Lr (delete in Lr that is) will the file in PS be deleted automatically?

When using 'Edit in Photoshop' the image file data is loaded into temporary memory (actually three copies for undo) and opened in PS. This is true whether using Edit Original, Edit a Copy, or Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments. If you decide to abort the PS editing session simply close the file without using Save or Save As. The temporary copy is removed from memory and the "original file" remains unchanged in LR and on the hard drive.

If you used 'Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments' and 'Save' in PS, it will now appear as a new file inside LR. If you no longer need the file simply delete it inside LR and close the file if still open in PS. If you used 'Save As' inside PS and renamed the file it will NOT automatically appear back inside LR. You will need to right-click on the containing folder in LR and select 'Synchronize Folder.'

One last point that is important to understand.

Lightroom is a non-destructive editor that never modifies the image data in the original imported file when making edits. You can also use 'Virtual Copies' to create copies of the image file with different edits. Virtual copies reside only in the LR catalog as "editing data' which requires very little drive space.

Photoshop is a destructive pixel editor that must apply its edits to the original file (i.e. Save), or to a new file copy (Save As), which is then written back to the drive location. However there are some workarounds to do non-destructive editing in PS:

Nondestructive editing in Photoshop

That's enough to chock a horse....but that is what it is!

• 21. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?
                                                  allanw77817543 Level 1

TRS: thank you for the response and in-depth attention to detail you've given to my questions. I have a long way to go!

Allan

• 22. Re: Reducing a file size in Lr?

I've been using PS since 1994 and still have a lot to learn! New PS features keep being added and since using LR in 2007 I find myself needing PS less with each each new version. For things like processing color negatives I still rely very heavily on PS, but do my final toning and color adjustments inside LR. Check out the article at the Dropbox link I posted to see an example.