12 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2006 3:07 AM by ericsalinas-qbTsby

Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects

Hobbis CoolBytes Level 1
      I wonder if Macromedia have an offical response to this? Basically, all future versions of Internet Explorer will disable the active x flash player!!!

http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedfaq.html
        • 1. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
          Level 7
          "Hobbis CoolBytes" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e10h79$193$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I wonder if Macromedia have an offical response to this? Basically, all
          >future
          > versions of Internet Explorer will disable the active x flash player!!!
          >
          > http://developer.apple.com/internet/ieembedfaq.html

Basically ... that is a gross exaggeration. It doesn't disable activex
          controls at all. Flash Player etc will all still work in IE. Please read
          up on the facts first before scaring everyone with such comments.
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
            Hobbis CoolBytes Level 1
            Ok, I'll tone down my comments a little with some facts: The flash player will still be able to play, but if the movie involves user interaction such as buttons etc, then the user is required to allow the movie to accept this interaction by clicking on the movie.

I think what I'm really after is Adobe's offical response to Microsoft's plans to implement the new feature in IE.
            • 3. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
              Level 7
              Basically .. if you don't make an appropriate change to your web page, then
              if your visitor wants to click on your movie, they first have to click on
              the movie (ie one extra click). Unfortunately, this also applies to other
              mouse interaction (like followers etc). Also, if the movie is
              non-interactive, then it still plays ok.

There are simple solutions already available with minimal addition to
              existing HTML .. but I too am also am interested to hear what Adobe and
              Apple recommend, and if that differs from what Microsoft recommend. I'm
              sure there will be something soon.

• 4. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                Level 7
                look here for a good site with simple solution and links to the various
                'official' solutions.

http://activecontent.blogspot.com/
                --
                Jeckyl

• 5. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                  BOSTONFLASHER Level 1
                  Gross exaggeration? When your web sites (our four sites) are created with Flash menus, Flash players, Flash slideshows, Flash openings...NOTHING is an exaggeration! (easy for you to say) The MS IE changes have impacted virtually everything we have done. While the "simple solution" is helpful for those with plenty of time on their hands, it does require a LOT of extra work on dozens of pages. The sudden and unexpected changes by MS in how IE handles Flash was done with apparently no consideration for millions of people who use Flash. If I wanted a border around all my flash objects, I would have created one. I am irritated at this rather indifferent cavalier attitude to what is a major problem for many like us who are self-employed and create our own sites, but who are not cyber-geeks.
                  • 6. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                    Level 7
                    "BOSTONFLASHER" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:e3l2q4$80u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > While the "simple solution" is helpful for those with
                    > plenty of time on their hands, it does require a LOT of extra work on
                    > dozens of
                    > pages.

There is no solution that requires no work. Sorry .. that's jsut the way it
                    is. The simple solutions such as those at http://activecontent.blogspot.com
                    are going to be the best you can do re least work required. They only
                    involve adding three lines of tag to your existing web pages .. so its not a
                    BIG change. Yes .. it means work for you .. but that's just the way it is
                    and you'll have to put up with it.

> The sudden and unexpected changes by MS in how IE handles Flash was done
                    > with apparently no consideration for millions of people who use Flash.

It is not a change that just affects Flash .. it affects every activex
                    control that interacts with the user

> If I wanted a border around all my flash objects, I would have created
                    > one.

That's a very silly comment

> I am irritated at this rather indifferent cavalier attitude to what is a
                    > major
                    > problem for many like us who are self-employed and create our own sites,
                    > but
                    > who are not cyber-geeks.

That is why the simple solutions that require no changes to the existing
                    tags (just adding some simple pre-defined lines to existing HTML) are so
                    useful.
                    --
                    Jeckyl

• 7. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                      BOSTONFLASHER Level 1
                      Jeckyl...Simple solution or not, your "so what-big deal" response to this is cavalier. I stand by my comment about a border around my Flash objects. You dismiss it as if it's nothing. It is not a silly comment...it's reality. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I am busy and I don't want to waste time FIXING a problem created by someone else. Obviously I have no choice. Apparently some people have lots of play-time on their hands.
                      • 8. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                        Level 7
                        > Jeckyl...Simple solution or not, your "so what-big deal" response to this
                        > is
                        > cavalier.

I never made a 'what-big deal' response. Read my reply again.

I explained that it requires work from you as a web developer to ensure your
                        site works seamlessly with Internet Explorer (as it now is). My response
                        was, rather, a 'whether you like it or not' response .. and that's simply
                        how it is.

> I stand by my comment about a border around my Flash objects.

You mean your flippant remark about adding them yourself if you wanted it?
                        That simply shows your complete ignorance of the issue. The change was not
                        so you would have an automatic border around activex objects .. that's not
                        the point of it, its just a side-effect of the change required to prevent IE
                        infringing the stupid EOLAS patent.

> You dismiss it as if it's nothing.

No .. YOU were dismissing it as nothing (or almsot monthing) .. as just a
                        border around your control. Its a much bigger issue than such a
                        trivialising remark suggests.

> It is not a silly comment...it's reality.

Indeed .. and you under-stated the nature of the reality of the effects of
                        the change. Obviosuly you don't see it as big a deal as it really is.

> I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I am busy and I don't want to waste time
                        > FIXING
                        > a problem created by someone else. Obviously I have no choice.

Exactly .. NOONE wants to have been placed in this situation. NOONE is
                        happy about it (least of all Microsoft).

So now you have to do some work to remove the border you don't want. Tough
                        .. complaining about how you don't like it isn't at all helpful.

> Apparently some people have lots of play-time on their hands.

No .. we are all in the same boat .. we just don't make flippant remarks
                        about it.

And .. despite your attitude, I will give you the link to a page that lists
                        the simple solutions as well as links to the more complex 'official'
                        solutions.

http://activecontent.blogspot.com

Jeckyl

• 9. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                          Hobbis CoolBytes Level 1
                          I love reading this thread!

Meanwhile, I have made a work around and it is used on this site:

http://www.webvucms.co.uk/admin

It wasn't that hard to work around it didn't take much time to implement.

It uses a bit of Javascript and if you look at the source code, you'll be able to download my Javascript file that does most of the work although this really is just a slight variation on the current test script from Adobe.

BOSTONFLASHER I can fully understand your fustration on this matter but it's not really Microsoft's fault. Someone took them to court over and they (Microsoft) lost so now they have to do it this way.

• 10. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                            ericsalinas-qbTsby Level 1
                            I'm in the same position as BOSTONFLASHER, but it seems that we just have to deal with it. I already posted about this annoying problem 2 months ago and they replied me:

What do we do? We sit back and enjoy the quieter, less annoying web. ;o)
                            http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=189&threadid=1125410

that's the attitude we all want!

i guess what bostonflasher was asking is: rather than telling everybody to recode and type javascript on every single SWF file, even though you have 35 in one page (a page with flash content using tables, to avoid using old frame-style pages), make it already FIXED from inside the authoring program, that is, as all we know, Flash 8 exports HTML, the big question is, WHY DOES THAT HTML DOESN'T EXPORTS THE HTML WITH THE JAVASCRIPT FORMAT? same thing in Dreamweaver 8, if you add or embeed an object (i'm not typing "swf" again cause then the escuse will be: "it's not only swf, also quicktime, etc!") why does the HTML CODE doesn't adds them up already with javascript, and if that is a legal issue with MS, then maybe a simple Extension for Dreamweaver or Flash or Both that may have that OPTION to let developers to use it or not

• 11. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                              Level 7
                              > i guess what bostonflasher was asking is: rather than telling everybody to
                              > recode and type javascript on every single SWF file, even though you have
                              > 35 in
                              > one page (a page with flash content using tables, to avoid using old
                              > frame-style pages), make it already FIXED from inside the authoring
                              > program,

It is if you get the update from Adobe

> that is, as all we know, Flash 8 exports HTML, the big question is,
                              > WHY DOES THAT HTML DOESN'T EXPORTS THE HTML WITH
                              > THE JAVASCRIPT FORMAT?

It does when you get the patch from Adobe .. or rather, it will fix the html
                              code for you

The other techniques are more for fixing existing pages, or if you do your
                              own HTML coding (ie don't just use the plain vanilla swf-only html that
                              Flash produces).
                              --
                              Jeckyl

• 12. Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer will disable all Active X objects
                                ericsalinas-qbTsby Level 1

my mistake, i didn't know that there was a patch released on may 9, thanks!!!