5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 1:15 PM by Szalam

gtx 780ti not compatible

josepd88875182

I can't render with gpu and 3min video takes about 3hours with cpu. I have a 780ti how can i use it?

7ba24642d7b13f5fd5303125f425914c.png

• 1. Re: gtx 780ti not compatible
          kulpreet singh Adobe Employee

Hi Josepd,

I am sorry but I do not think GTX 780ti is supported with After Effects.

However, GTX 780 is supported.

After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

• 2. Re: gtx 780ti not compatible
            josepd88875182 Level 1

Why? what is supose i have to do now, buy a 780? ...

780ti is better than 780, why is not supported? There is some trick to make it supported?

• 3. Re: gtx 780ti not compatible
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hang on. Take a step back. Kulpreet is trying to be helpful, but isn't explaining things well.

That card is supported for AE. All you need to run After Effects is an OpenGL 2.0-capable system. That's it.

The current version of After Effects does not use the GPU to render.

Kuplreet is referring to the cards that can be used to accelerate the ray-traced renderer. Now, if you are using the obsolete ray-traced renderer, then AE can use the GPU to accelerate that one effect, but otherwise AE doesn't use the GPU for much (see this). That being said, the current version of After Effects can use most any NVIDIA card to accelerate the ray-traced renderer. You just have to tick the "use unsupported GPU" box to make it work. The reason they're called "unsupported" is that Adobe hasn't tested them. They aren't doing any more testing with the ray-traced renderer. As I said, the ray-traced renderer is considered obsolete. There is a much more powerful tool included with the current versions of AE for 3d stuff. (Here's some good training for it.)

Some third-party plugins for AE (like Element from Video Copilot or Universe from Red Giant) do render on the GPU, but they have nothing to do with After Effects' ray-traced renderer.

So, are you using the standard renderer or the ray-traced renderer?

• 4. Re: gtx 780ti not compatible
                josepd88875182 Level 1

To be honest, i don't know what i am using, but i think is standard render. So, in your opinion, which is the best option to do with a gtx 780ti?

• 5. Re: gtx 780ti not compatible
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

josepd88875182 wrote:

To be honest, i don't know what i am using, but i think is standard render. So, in your opinion, which is the best option to do with a gtx 780ti?

If you're not using the ray-traced renderer (or a third-party plugin that uses the GPU), it doesn't much matter what GPU you've got.

Now, you say it's slow, but three hours might be perfectly acceptable for three minutes. It all depends on what you've got going on. I've had some compositions where it took a couple of minutes per frame! More info about what you've got going on in your comp and your computer hardware might give us a better idea if it's actually slow or not.