29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 2:14 PM by ManiacJoe

info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

xxxy78106064

Hi,

I'm Victor, an italian guy that loves take photos during free time! Searching on net I found some discussion about lightroom & settings.

In these days I'm working to make better my workflow: I would like to realize the default settings for the serial camera and ISO function: I have a Nikon d700 (old but good for me), what could be the "good" default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO?

Here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/653425

I found how it would be the right way to make default settings:

" I have two cameras and have set up "sample iso" images for each at all available ISOs.  I keep these raw files in a special folder.  Each camera has differing possibilities so the number of images will vary (my D700 has 38 I believe).  "

Please, please, some-one can help me? I need these default settings for NIKON D700 to use always during importing pics, just like starting point....could you send me a table with these value in function of ISO? or better you could send me the *.xmp settings files that are in the folder

C: \ Users \ USER \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ Defaults

let me know please, if you could help me it would be great for me! people that have NIKON D700 help me!

thanks again a lot, I'm happy that I foud someone that can help me!

Victor (from italy!)

• 1. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I love my Nikon D700.

Trying to set some presets based on the ISO used is not something I have ever tried. The amount of noise reduction and sharpening needed depends on more than just the ISO. You also have the amount of light available, and the white balance does make a difference.

I do a lot of event and sports shooting. As a result I go to the same venues repeatedly. I have setup a preset for each venue. That way I can create the preset based on the ISO, lighting, WB, noise reduction, and sharpening.

If I don't have a preset for that venue, or I need a new one, I will pick an image from the collection develop it, save its settings as a new preset. Then I will tweak that preset using 2-3 more images from the collection, then I will go to the Library module and apply that new preset to the rest of the images in that collection.

• 2. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
            xxxy78106064 Level 1

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply!

I know that the amount of noise reduction and sharpening needed depends on more than just the ISO, but LR permit me to set parameters in function of ISO.

I usually don't take picture in similar venue like you, but different kind, different locatiomn, so I need a simple preset based on the ISO, lighting, WB, noise reduction, and sharpening just like a start point to develop later each pics.

Please, if you or some-one have a "start" preset to apply function of ISO please help me & if you can send me it! Let me know, I'll hope you answer me soon!

Thanks

Victor

• 3. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
              xxxy78106064 Level 1

Hi, please some-one can help me? let me know, thanks!!!!

• 4. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

Take a look at these examples:

Dropbox - LR_preset_examples.zip

See the _read_me file for details.

• 5. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                  xxxy78106064 Level 1

thanks a lot for your anser, I saw your template, thanks!!

please, read this conversation:

A new take on Auto Noise Reduction & Sharpening???

development setting instead presets.

I asked him but I'm not able to contact him.

Please, could send me the *.xmp settings files that are in the folder

?

let me know please, if you could help me it would be great for me!

• 6. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                    xxxy78106064 Level 1

thanks a lot for your anser, I saw your template, thanks!!

please, read this conversation:

development setting instead presets.

I asked him but I'm not able to contact him.

Please, could send me the *.xmp settings files that are in the folder

?

let me know please, if you could help me it would be great for me!

• 7. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

I have previously seen that thread. Was there anything in particular you had questions about?

Is there anything particular in the XMP files you are looking for? I did a quick look at the two files I have and saw nothing exciting in them except for these two lines in the Preferences.xmp file:

crs:DefaultsSpecificToSerial="False"

crs:DefaultsSpecificToISO="False"

• 8. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                        xxxy78106064 Level 1

ok,

false and false means that you don't use custom settings for the serial camera and ISO function.

if you have 5 mins please read here:

that explain how create settings for the serial camera and ISO.

development setting instead presets, that make a better and faster workflow when you import pics in LR.

If you could read it and help me to make it, I'd very glad! thanks & greetings from italy!!

• 9. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                          zoladd Level 1

Hi Victor,

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with your request.  I'm guessing that you want to kickstart your Lightroom learning experience or maybe just speed up your Lr processing.  I am not sure that getting other people to give you some defaults they may use is the best way to do that.  There are many Lr tutorials on the web and in books that will teach you a lot more than just using some defaults others have created for their own purposes.  And by creating your own you will learn a lot more about how to use Lr than just by copying someone elses.

For your information, I have used ISO based default profiles previously, but stopped using them, instead preferring just to use development presets for my different shooting situations.  I have also created Camera Profiles using ColorChecker Passport and DNG Profile Editor.  When I shoot indoor sports I use the same approach as mentioned by ManiacJoe above.  If I shoot at a new venue I start with some default and adjust, trial it for a few photos, and then make a new preset and apply it to the rest of the photos from that session.

When I first started with Lr I used AutoTone and the Lr presets for Sharpen - Faces and Sharpen - Scenic for sharpening.  I did not like any of the colour and effects presets so rarely use them.  I experimented only a little bit with noise reduction and have incorporated a few common settings into my develop presets which works ok for my indoor sports but this seems to me to be less effective for more general shooting and landscapes etc., so these I do by hand now although I have some common starting points.  I created a bunch of presets for white balance but find they did not help that much for general shooting.  For indoor sports I have WB built into my standard preset for the venue, although some venues have skylights which affect the WB (more or less sunlight) and so the preset values are of less use on cloudy days.  Also, some venues have lights of multiple colours, or change in colour, and again a preset is of limited use in these cases.

I also found that my preferred processing and thus develop presets changed based on the Camera profiles used (eg Adobe Standard, Camera Neutral, Camera Landscape, Portrait, etc).  This seems to have decreased now that I am more often using the profiles I created ColorChecker Passport.

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                            xxxy78106064 Level 1

I'm trying to use  development setting instead presets, because this should make a better and faster workflow when import pics in LR: for different iso e.g., the sharpness and noise recution should be already ok!

Thanks to your comment, you said that you had used ISO based default profiles previously, but stopped using them, instead preferring just to use development presets for different shooting situations. why? don't you think exist a default value for noise reduction and sharpness in function of different iso? so, you import your pics as you shooting, just with your personal profile color (i use neutral v4 on my nikon d700 and on my LR). what camera u use? let me know, thanks a lot!! vittorio

• 11. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                              xxxy78106064 Level 1

I'm trying to use  development setting instead presets, because this should make a better and faster workflow when import pics in LR: for different iso e.g., the sharpness and noise recution should be already ok!

Thanks to your comment, you said that you had used ISO based default profiles previously, but stopped using them, instead preferring just to use development presets for different shooting situations. why? don't you think exist a default value for noise reduction and sharpness in function of different iso? so, you import your pics as you shooting, just with your personal profile color (i use neutral v4 on my nikon d700 and on my LR). what camera u use? let me know, thanks a lot!! vittorio

• 12. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                fricco-vit

Hi to all!

I'm also interested in it, same camera (Nikon d700), same LR version (5.7.1).

what could be the "good" default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO?

Can u help me? I need these default settings for NIKON D700 to use always during importing pics, just like starting point....could you send me a table with these value in function of ISO? or better if u have did it, could you could send me the *.xmp settings files that are in the folder

Thanks a lot, I wait for a your answer!

• 13. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

I don't do my noise reduction based primarily by ISO values but do so based on the ISO and WB and light availability. That said, my ISO to noise reduction seems to run a strong pattern for my local high school gyms:

ISO 3200 : color 10, luminance 15

ISO 4000 : color 15, luminance 20

ISO 6400 : color 15, luminance 25

ISO Hi1 : color 20, luminance 30 (actually shot as ISO 6400, boosted in post).

When viewed at 100% zoom, the images will still look noisy; no one will do that in the real world. For the D700, 50% zoom is more realistic for what end users will see from a print or web screen. This resolution reduction naturally eats a lot of the noise so that NR values can be much lower than expected.

• 14. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                    fricco-vit Level 1

Hi ManiacJoe!

thenks a lot for your answer!

Anyway I'd like to know default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO, starting from ISO 200 to highest....please can you help me? can anyone help me?

Values u sent me are interesting, but if u can I need values for each iso step...for the old nikon d700! please help me, thanks a lot!

• 15. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

Sorry, I don't process my image that way.

I don't recommend others do it that way either.

• 16. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                        Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

fricco-vit wrote:

Anyway I'd like to know default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO

There aren't any default values.

Image editing is not an exact science, a lot depends on personal preference.

And there are variables, like the sharpness of the lens (sharp lenses need less sharpening), the aperture used (small apertures will cause reduced sharpness due to diffraction), how the image was exposed (an underexposed image will need more noise reduction).

You will have to, like the rest of us, figure this out by trial and error.

• 17. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                          fricco-vit Level 1

Ok,

thanks a lot, I understand what u mean...it's only that here:

JW Stephenson explains the right way to make default settings:

" I have two cameras and have set up "sample iso" images for each at all available ISOs.  I keep these raw files in a special folder.  Each camera has differing possibilities so the number of images will vary (my D700 has 38 I believe).  "

So I'd want to use these default settings for my NIKON D700 during importing pics, only like starting point....

Else, if u explain me that there aren't any default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO, which are "fixed" parameters that I can use just like start point during import photos?

enable profile corrections + remove chromatic aberration + neutral camera calibration ? I think I can flag these 3 options for every pics that I import (instead I'll set sharpening and NR for every pic in different way ).

any other things that I can flag or I can fix during import? Let me know please, thanks again!

Ps: if you have 5 mins, read the link I post above in this post, I think it could be an interesting way to import pics, only to create a starting point to then process pics.

cameraD2XMode2.pngLightroom-Lens-Corrections-Basic.png

• 18. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

fricco-vit wrote:

Ok,

thanks a lot, I understand what u mean...it's only that here:

JW Stephenson explains the right way to make default settings:

" I have two cameras and have set up "sample iso" images for each at all available ISOs. I keep these raw files in a special folder. Each camera has differing possibilities so the number of images will vary (my D700 has 38 I believe). "

So I'd want to use these default settings for my NIKON D700 during importing pics, only like starting point....

This is one way to get a base for your edits. It is not the only way. It would seem that many of us would even say it is not the preferred way.

Else, if u explain me that there aren't any default values for NR, Sharpening, CA, to be inserted according to the ISO, which are "fixed" parameters that I can use just like start point during import photos?

enable profile corrections + remove chromatic aberration + neutral camera calibration ? I think I can flag these 3 options for every pics that I import (instead I'll set sharpening and NR for every pic in different way ).

That is similar to the way I do my initial import: Camera neutral profile + lens corrections.

After that I apply develop presets specific to the conditions of the specific image. For outdoor shots, I have presets for sunny, kinda-sunny, late-sunny, cloudy, rainy, backlighted. For indoor shots I have presets for the venues that I am repeatedly shooting at.

For new indoor places, I will pick 2-3 images that are representative of the conditions and create a new preset that works for that location.

• 19. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                              fricco-vit Level 1

Ok, thanks a lot for your reply.

I wanted use the JW Stephenson approach because LR allow it, so I thought it could be the best approach...maybe I wrong.

So ok, when u import pics you said u apply Camera neutral profile + lens corrections: u flag also "remove chromatic aberration"? I use enable profile corrections + remove chromatic aberration + neutral camera calibration: could it be ok or have I to add some flag?

And ok for using preset: u said you have preset  for outdoor shots, presets for sunny, kinda-sunny, late-sunny, cloudy, rainy, backlighted: please, if I don't ask u too much, could u send me them? I think u have d700 too (I love my d700, old but good!), so them could be ok also for me! let me know, thanks a lot again!

• 20. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

The great thing about using presets during the import process is that you can add any develop setting you want.

These are the outdoor presets I use when processing my beach volleyball tournaments. Each tournament is a little different based on the weather, so the presets are always being tweaked for that one tournament.

Dropbox - z_Beach_raw.zip

• 21. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                                  fricco-vit Level 1

Nice!!

thanks a lot ManiacJoe!!

Do u think I could use these presets also with landscapes? have you got any other presets that u could share with me please?

Thanks a lot again, u're helping me too much!!!!

ps: are u using a d700 too?

• 22. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

I use those presets as a start for my landscapes, too.

Yes, still using the D700 until I save enough dollars for a Nikon D5S in two years.

• 23. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                                      fricco-vit Level 1

Nikon D5s !

I really love my Nikon d700 and also if it's old I love its files!! (u don't like hevy files too)!

Thanks for the presets, if u have any others please send me them, and also if you have any other special settings for our d700!!

thanks a lot again!!

• 24. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                                        fricco-vit Level 1

ok,

so u confirm me that I can use: enable profile corrections + remove chromatic aberration + neutral camera calibration?

when u import pics you said u apply Camera neutral profile + lens corrections: u flag also "remove chromatic aberration"?

Just to start the workflow, could these options are enought, or have I to add some flag?

Let me know as soon as u can, thanks!

• 25. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

In the Import dialog, you can pick any saved develop preset you have to be applied during the import process.
                                                          In that develop preset, you can have any combination of develop settings you desire. 

I do not have "remove chromatic aberration" turned on during the import because my photos usually have no CA in them.

I use very few settings in the import because I use the same import preset for everything. I later apply more specific presets for different types of photos in the Develop module or from the Library's "quick develop" panel.

• 26. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                                            fricco-vit Level 1

ok thanks a lot!

Can I also flag "remove chromatic aberration" during the import also if my pics don't show CA? It should no modify nothing, right?

• 27. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

You can turn on the CA removal if you want. That will change your photo just like any other setting you pick changes the photo.

• 28. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!
                                                                fricco-vit Level 1

ok, but if I turn on the CA removal for all pics during import, the pics that show not a lot of CA, will be modify a lot turning on this flag?

• 29. Re: info about nikon d700 LR5.7.1 default settings!

Modified a lot? No.

Modified a little? Maybe.

That is why I don't turn it on for everything, just what needs it.