17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 4:47 PM by mary_winter

InDesign CC crashes on Launch

justins17940840 Level 1

This looks to be a common problem that I'm not alone in.  It started today, opened InDesign and immediately failed.  Tried clearing preferences (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT) on opening, nothing.  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing.

I'm on Windows 10 - Surface Book.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
          justins17940840 Level 1

Let me specify by saying that I didn't have any issues on Friday (April 1) utilizing InDesign.  No updates were performed to Windows nor CC.  I didn't attempt to use over the weekend.  This morning first thing - doesn't open.

As I'm on the Surface Book which has HD display issues I have altered my Registry Keys for Photoshop and Illustrator to force non-HD so that I can utilize my pen/touch screen more for them when I'm hooked up to external monitors, but I have used InDesign after I made those changes with no issues.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
            justins17940840 Level 1

I tried right-click RUN AS ADMIN with no luck.

I did log in as ADMINISTRATOR and it will open and run fine.  As reading on others with similar issue, deleting the windows profile and reissuing it makes it work fine again.

Why did this all of a sudden happen though?  Can I fix this without deleting me entire profile?

• 4. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's probably a problem with the permissions o the two preferences folders. See Adobe InDesign CC 2015 - Program has stopped wo... | Adobe Community

• 5. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                justins17940840 Level 1

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the response.  I originally tried the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT twice prior to posting with no results.  I did follow your link to renaming the SavedData and Defaults files and attempted this however I'm still getting the same results as before.

• 6. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch

That link talks about replacing the prefs folders with working copies or fixing the permissions.

There's also this, but it seems less likely for you: InDesign crashes on launch on Windows

• 7. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                    justins17940840 Level 1

Peter I'm unsure what you are trying to say by your first sentence statement.  The link you sent me talks about deleting/renaming the SavedData and Defaults files which are your preferences files (Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences).  I first attempted the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT again but as that didn't work again, I did your recommended actions which was to delete/rename the files.  I renamed (both files - SavedData and Defaults) by adding a 2 at the end of each file and when I tried to launch InDesign again it created new ones as you stated.  This did not solve the problem.  Am I missing something here?

Your secondary post with the Typekit crash error for the CopyDLL file did not work as well.

• 8. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch

If you read the whole thread you'll see that you may need to create a new user, then copy the preferences folders from that working user to the user that is having problems.

• 9. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                        AnshulJain19 Adobe Employee

Hi Justin,

If you are seeing this issue after updating InDesign to latest version i.e. 11.3, please follow steps given in below link, it should help you resolve the issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash_on_launch.html

Thanks

-Anshul

• 10. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                          justins17940840 Level 1

@ Peter Spier

I copy and replaced the ADMINISTRATOR SavedData and Defaults files (where I had no issues opening up InDesign) into my user (where I had issues).  This did not fix the issue..

@ AnshulJain19

Peter already suggested this and I attempted it.  This does not solve the issue.

I did however do another Google search for "Adobe InDesign crashes on Loading Trackers" and found this gem: InDesign CC crash on starting trackers

where someone stated to delete all of the content inside of the VERSION## folders (C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\  & C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\) for Roaming/Local.  I figured at this point what's the harm and now it's working!

Peter you may want to advise on your very nicely explained post that this could be a solution as well if InDesign is failing on "loading trackers".

Thanks for your help.

• 11. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch

The instruction in the link were to replace the entire FOLDER in each location in order to reset the permissions correctly.

• 12. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                              justins17940840 Level 1

@ Peter Spier

I mean this in the utmost respect... but what are you smoking?  Your clearly state FILES that need to be replaced/renamed and not FOLDERS.

"When InDesign starts to behave strangely, the number one suggestion for troubleshooting is to replace (or trash, reset or restore) the application preferences. This will remove corrupt preferences and replace them with a new set of default preferences, and often end bad behavior.

There is a quick and easy method for doing this using the keyboard: close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. There are two downsides to this method, however. First, you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow), and second, anytime you replace the preferences you will lose most program customizations, and using the keyboard method leaves you with no backup to restore them when the problem turns out to be something else.

My preferred method is to CLOSE INDESIGN and do a “manual” prefs replacement, which consists of finding and renaming the two files which make up the preference set: InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData. BOTH of these files should be replaced at the same time. You can delete them, but renaming or moving them will give you the opportunity to copy them back in the event that new prefs doesn’t cure your issue. When you restart ID, the program will look for these two files, and when they are not found, a new default set will be written."

"UPDATE: I just ran across a situation in which overwriting the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData files failed to restore functionality to the tools on a single user account on a multiple user system (the other account was fine). This is an absolute first and I've been using the technique for years, including replacing these two files on this system which is used by the student newspaper where I was a professor, in order to customize or restore preferences every semester. What did work was to use the keyboard method first, then close InDesign and manually replace the two files to restore the prefs to the proper settings.  -- Peter"

Where do you EVER mention deleting the entire folder on this thread?

I only bring this up in an effort to correct threads for best possible usage for others users who might experience the same issues.

• 13. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch

No, you've confused two different threads here (and you are not the only user who has made this mistake). The Adobe InDesign CC 2015 - Program has stopped wo... | Adobe Community link talks about folder permissions, new users and replacing folders. In that thread I provided a link to Replace Your Preferences, but not so that you would replace the preferences, which is not the problem, but so that you could see the paths to the folders, which are hidden by default.

I suspect that looking at the "correct answer" designation you made the presumption that replacing the prefs was itself the correct answer, and forgot that I referred you to the parent thread. Do you think it would help folks like you if I unmarked that as correct?

• 14. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                                  tims14924469 Level 1

We were able to delete cache files (Mac OS X) for InDesign (without having to reinstall InDesign) to restore functionality:

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/CCX Welcome/.lockfile

Restarting InDesign (without having to restart the computer) brought InDesign back.

• 15. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                                    ralfderwolf Level 1

I had the similar Problems (after update to 2015.4 on Win10 on a Mac in a LAN) except I could open InDesign while pressing (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT) and deleting the prefs but the problem remained and finally I reallized that the libraries are causing the Problem. If I closed them before shutting down InDesign I can easily restart the progam now. So closing the *.indl files before shutting down InDesign solved my Problem; well actually this is not a solution but a work around. But don't forget it otherwise you cannot Launch InDesign again...

closing indl before shutting down InDesign.indl before shutting down InDesign.JPG

• 16. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                                      justins17940840 Level 1

Peter, sorry for the delay but you are right.  I confused the two.

Not sure if it would help folks, may have helped me get to the answer faster.

• 17. Re: InDesign CC crashes on Launch
                                        mary_winter Level 1

I am having a hard time with both illustrator and Indesign crashing. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, removed the cache.

My monitor will also go from screen image to black and back again...no sure what is up. Anyone have ideas?