17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 6:11 PM by jackr46583522

text flow problems

jackr46583522

I set up a 200 page book set text boxes in the master pages everything flowed well and looked great then suddenly on page 24 when I tried placed the text there is no text frame to flow into- do I have to go back and redo the master page and how does this effect the pages that are already perfect

• 1. Re: text flow problems
          Migintosh Level 4

If the text frame from the master page has been removed from that page, just apply the master to the document page again, click the out port of the previous page and then click onto the page in question. To double-check, place the cursor in the text and select all to see if the text is all in one chain.

• 2. Re: text flow problems
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should not make any text frame on the master for the text flow. Use page margins, these should be adjusted correctly and text will flow into the frame formed by the margin guides.

Exception are primary text frames, but you have to make sure that text flows into those frames. They have to align to the margins too.

• 3. Re: text flow problems
              jackr46583522 Level 1

many thanks

• 4. Re: text flow problems
                jackr46583522 Level 1

Don t quite understand "apply the master to the document page " The text is there but when I try to place it it makes its own frame which does not match previous pages

• 5. Re: text flow problems

Did you read my answer? I have answered these questions.

• 6. Re: text flow problems
                    Migintosh Level 4

jackr46583522 wrote:

Don t quite understand "apply the master to the document page "

In the Pages pallet, you can have more than one master page. If you want to apply a master page to a document page you can do it by clicking on the fly-out triangle at the top of the pallet and choose Apply Master to Pages. You can also drag a master icon onto a document page icon or select a series of document page icons and Option-clicking on a master icon to apply the master to the document pages.

Also, what Willi is saying is that if you want continuous text from margin-to-margin covering the whole page and auto-flow, you don't need a master text frame. If you are familiar with Quark, you may have assumed that because that's how Quark works. Master frames are good if you want the same text frame on only a portion of every page.

• 7. Re: text flow problems
                      jackr46583522 Level 1

THank you guys for your advice.Yes I do want the same text frame on only a portion of every page which flowed well until I got to the last page of the first chapter see snapshotScreen Shot 2016-04-06 at 7.07.20 PM.png

• 8. Re: text flow problems
                        jackr46583522 Level 1

Yes I did thank you- I appreciate you advice

• 9. Re: text flow problems
                          jackr46583522 Level 1

PS. this page 27 is where I cannot flow the text to page 28. By the way, this text is indented as it's a quote. I thought maybe this was the problem but I tried by un-indenting it but it still would not flow. I have checked the master pages and the text frames are still there.

• 10. Re: text flow problems
                            Migintosh Level 4

If you mean the page in your screen shot, click the small red box in the lower right side is the text frame. That's the indicator that you have overset text (more text than the frame can hold). After you click the indicator, the cursor will

change to a loaded cursor, indicating that the nex click will place the next portion of text. If you click into the center of the text frame on page 28, that's where the story will continue.

• 11. Re: text flow problems

You make still the same terrible error.

Adjust your page margins on the master as any text flows along the margin guides, not along manual set up ruler guides.

And your page number frame is overlapping the area inside the margins, that is a no-go. Page numbers have to be on the master, not on the page.

• 12. Re: text flow problems
                                jackr46583522 Level 1

Hi Willi,

Thank you again. I did set up the page numbers on the master pages where they show up as "A" on each page and this automatically numbered all 200 pages with numbers- is this wrong ? Also, following your advice, if I go into the page margins and change everything and how will that effect the pages that are complete or, do I have to start from scratch ? (which I am prepared to do)  What is confusing is the fact that the text flowed perfectly until I got to,page 26, I loaded the curser, and placed it, as I have been doing throughout the document, on  page 27 and the it made a new size frame that did not conform with the single columns text frames on the previous pages, I naturally tried this many, many times .I also checked the links to each page and all these are fine.

Thanks again for your advice

• 13. Re: text flow problems
                                  jackr46583522 Level 1

Hi Migintosh,

Thanks again. Yes, that's what i have been doing throughout this document and  all has flowed perfectly for 27 pages but when I place the loaded cursor from page 27 to 28 it forms a new text frame that does not conform with the previous frames, I have created a number of documents and never come across this before.

thanks

• 14. Re: text flow problems
                                    Migintosh Level 4

There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it based on your screen shot. The margin guides are only visual indicators of what you want to stay within, but if your text doesn't snap to the margins and that's what you want, there's no reason to think you need to do that.

• 15. Re: text flow problems

I disagree.

The margin guides help to flow text into the layout and later, when layout adjustment is activated, you can in one single step change the borders and cause a layout reflow.

Even the page number frames and the running headers frames should snapp to the margin guides to be able to be changed when layout adjustment is activated. So it is really very important to use them. Specially if you have a multipage publication.

• 16. Re: text flow problems
                                        jackr46583522 Level 1

Many thanks- I will start over and see how it goes

• 17. Re: text flow problems
                                          jackr46583522 Level 1

Thanks I will try this