8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 10:43 AM by SIcsempertyrannis

Double Tabs

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

Working on a file today in CC2014. With invisibles on, I see that two tabs exist before text- -and two tabs exist after text. Trying to delete bc I only need one before and after. Couldnt do it. So  I assumed there was some formatting applied that I dont understand. I created a brand new doc and typed in some text, tried to apply tabs and get the same thing; double tabs. Came home and opened my CS 5 and 6 and tabs work as expected. Is there some preference I need to change in CC?

• 1. Re: Double Tabs
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Screen Shot?

• 2. Re: Double Tabs

Picture 2.png

Hi Willi- -Attached is a screenshot. I posted the views of CS5 and CC2014.

The top view is the way the tabs appear in CS5. 2 tabs shown in invisibles- -2 ticks on tab bar. The bottom image is the way it appears in CC2014. 4 tabs in invisibles- -2 ticks on the tab bar. How do you adjust tabs if they dont correspond one to one?

• 3. Re: Double Tabs
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

It would be good to see the tabulator rule of CC2014 attached (click on the magnet to the right) to the screen shot.

Why do you use CC2014, not CC2015?

Why do you have a right aligned tabulator stop at the right? Wouldn't it be better instead to use a tabulator a shift-tabulator there without a stop?

• 4. Re: Double Tabs

At my place of business we use CS5 to CC2014- -and must continue to do so until we are able to update out system. Currently, we can not. I'm just trying to find out why in CC I see (hahaha) 4 tab invisibles for 2 tab stops. Even if I use shift- ->tab, Im still seeing 4 invisibles? Do you know why?

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.10.31 PM.png

• 5. Re: Double Tabs
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How does this look in the Story Editor?

• 6. Re: Double Tabs
                    Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

You are confusing tab positions set in the tabruler (of which you have one, that is centered) and tabs given on the keyboard (which are four). You can tab four times on your keyboard but you can set only one position in the ruler (or two, or three or... etc), the first tab you set will be hounoured and this is a centered tab here. Then you have a last tab (OR a shift-tab: a shift-tab will not show in the ruler (a right tab will) but as you hit tab on your keyboard it will, of course, show the character for this new tab). In other words: you can delete the tab character in the text you do not need and nothing will change.

In screen shot below you will see a tabbed four times on the keyboard but I did not even set one tab on the ruler (the tabruler is empty!):

Schermafbeelding 2016-04-06 om 18.31.48.png

• 7. Re: Double Tabs

No, I am not confusing the two. I tabbed twice in the text box- -and placed two tab markers on tab ruler. However, 4 invisibles show up in the file.

• 8. Re: Double Tabs

In Story Editor- -it appears as expected- -w/2 invisibles. The only thing I can surmise is that when you apply tabs that have a leader set in CS 6 thru CC2015- -it places an extra invisible in the text box. This does not occur in CS5. I was thinking there was a preference setting to address that.