7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 12:41 PM by Prithivi_Prepress Branched from an earlier discussion.

PDF exported too Large

Prithivi_Prepress

Now I am using indesign cc. Still this PDF size issue is persist. Can Adobe or some will answer why the size is huge and how to avoid this?

• 1. Re: PDF exported too Large
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've branched this to a new discussion. You replied to one that was started years ago.

Please post the exact details of what you're seeing and what your definition of too large is.

• 2. Re: PDF exported too Large
            Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

When exporting to PDF, what are your settings in the export to PDF (print) dialog box?

1. What overall preset are you choosing?

2. What version of Acrobat are you choosing?

3. Bleed or no bleed? What are your bleed distances?

4. Biggest factor: What resolution of images are you choosing? What compression?

5. What output color space are you choosing? And why?

6. Font subsetting: 0 for the whole font, or 100 for an abbreviated font embedding?

• 3. Re: PDF exported too Large
              Prithivi_Prepress Level 1

Thank you BobLevine for moving my post to new thread and answering my question.

1. What overall preset are you choosing? - Custom
              2. What version of Acrobat are you choosing? – Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3)
              3. Bleed or no bleed? What are your bleed distances? Yes, with Bleed
              4. Biggest factor: What resolution of images are you choosing? What compression? - My document don't have any image, it is a simple plain text

4.png

1. What output color space are you choosing? And why?

5.png

1. Font subsetting: 0 for the whole font, or 100 for an abbreviated font embedding?

6.png

And overall when I moved all pages to a new document and export the pages, then the PDF file size dramatically reduced to around 1:10 (size of pdf form original document).

In my original document I have used around 200+ character/paragraph  styles, 30+ object styles and 50+ table/cell styles. And there is no additional colo in swatches. There is no image and is a plain text article. Is these things affects PDF files size due to XMP data copied in PDF file when we export?

• 4. Re: PDF exported too Large
                Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

What happens when you try Acrobat 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc?

• 5. Re: PDF exported too Large
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't mentioned what the file size is in this thread, but the 600 ppi resolution is certainly more than you need for any typical image printed on an offset press, and you would likely get better compression using JPEG with Maximum Image Quality. There's no way any image artifacts from a maximum quality compression will show up on press. You are also forcing all images into CMYK, which will make a larger file because of the extra channel. If the document images are RGB, the conversion to CMYK could happen at output instead of export.

• 6. Re: PDF exported too Large

All are with same size (not even a byte). If I removed meta data from file (delete metadata) it reduces the file size 10X.

Capture.PNG

But I am wondering that removing meta data will affects any further usage of PDF file for some other process and is there any way to control it from indesign itself (by exporting option and not by post script to pdf)?

• 7. Re: PDF exported too Large

There is no image in my original document and it is just 10 page plain text (Table of content), so I think it is not the problem here