5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 9:02 AM by JimHess

Catalog and Preview size?

roberth94304522rhau

I have 106,000 images in 2006 folders -total size 766 GB on a NAS.  I want to use Lightroom CC on two Windows computers.  One at work with the NAS, the other at home connected to the work network by VPN.

I plan to put the catalog and previews on a memory stick or external SSD.  How big are the catalog and SmartPreviews likely to be?

• 1. Re: Catalog and Preview size?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The size of Smart previews would depend on the content of the images. You can check on the size of the catalog by going to Pictures/Lightroom and look at the properties for the catalog. You can also create a set of Smart previews and look at the size of that folder as well. I am skeptical of performance on your home computer under this arrangement.

• 2. Re: Catalog and Preview size?
            roberth94304522rhau Level 1

The images are all .jpg and are a mix of originals from SLR -about 1.7mb each, CAD renderings -about 50kb each and images from iPhones.  I am new to Lightroom and have not started importing so I don't have those files yet.   I would like to set up the catalog and preview locations on the external USB device right from the beginning.  I think I would prefer a memory stick to an external drive.

• 3. Re: Catalog and Preview size?

Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will reply. I have used an external hard drive to transfer the catalog and images from one computer to another. But I haven't tried using a flash drive. If you have Lightroom set up on both computers now the way you want it set up, you might experiment with other images to see how well it will work. Otherwise, keep watching this thread for some better informed responses.

• 4. Re: Catalog and Preview size?
                roberth94304522rhau Level 1

I have Lightroom CC set up on one computer and on my iPhone.  I did a test import but didn't test putting a catalog on a flash drive.  Haven't put Lightroom on the other computer yet.   I am sure I will need a bigger flash drive than I have.  I asked another question on the forum regarding using Lightroom on two computers and they suggested a 128 gb flash drive. I wouldn't mind buying one but want to be fairy sure it will be big enough for the catalog.when I do the import.

• 5. Re: Catalog and Preview size?

All I can say is that, based on the information you have provided, "I think" a 128 GB flash drive should work fine. Are these images that are going to be supplied to you by a client, or what? If the flash drive doesn't work, you can purchase a relatively small USB-powered external hard drive. I have a 1 TB USB 3 external hard drive that is powered through the USB, and it is small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. The only way I would be able to give you any numbers on what to expect would be to create the type of catalog you are anticipating to create and then give you the results. Seems to me that you can do that yourself just as easily, and then you would know what to expect.

Even though the files are small, I suspect performance on the home computer is not going to make editing very comfortable or enjoyable. I think that is probably the first thing you should try. I don't know what your timeframe is on completing this project. But you can at least install Lightroom on the office computer and set up a test catalog to see if the performance will be suitable. If it isn't, then all of these other concerns are without warrant.