9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 12:50 PM by Szalam

Can't preview real time when I press spacebar

Alec_Aiello

Whenever I try to look at the effects I added to my video, Ill preview it by pressing the spacebar. It lags like crazy and says in the top right corner Fps (not realtime) ive tried many solutions to fix this issue. The only thing that I found to work is i...

[edited by moderator - you should post a quick sum-up of your issue in the title and post the entirety of your issue in the actual body of your forum post. As it is, your message got cut off because you tried to put the whole thing in the title bar.]

• 1. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sorry if you thought you explained some of this in your post, but as the moderator pointed it out in her (or his) edit to your message, you just posted everything in the title, which means it got cut off.

Are you new to working with After Effects? After Effects is not a video editing program, so it doesn't just play back a video stream. After Effects has to cache a preview into RAM before it can play it back. If you are new to AE, you really should learn how it works first. Here's a good place to start: Getting started with After Effects and some info on the new previewing system introduced in CC 2015: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) - note: this was further improved in updates since then to 13.6 and 13.7.

If that doesn't help you, please provide more information: FAQ: What information should I provide?

• 2. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar
            Alec_Aiello Level 1

I understand I put the question into the title, i'm having some issues because I am working on my school laptop and I don't use adobe forums very often. I use adobe after effects cc 2015 for making instagram edits as many others do as well. I'm just having trouble previewing the video because it lags whenever it plays back and tells me not real time in the top right corner, is this because I don't have enough RAM on my computer? I've tried many different things as well as changing the frame rate and many other things in the composition settings. Still doesn't help previewing.

• 3. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar

You still aren't giving us enough information. What, exact, version number of AE are you using? How are you doing the previews? We don't even know what operating system you're using! FAQ: What information should I provide ?

With the limited information I have, I'm going to guess that you're running El Capitan and an older version of AE. If so, you need the 13.7.1, update. If not, we need more information.

• 4. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar
                Alec_Aiello Level 1

I have a 2015 Imac I just got the latest version of adobe after effects cc 2015, I don't know the the name of the update I have all I want to know is what is causing it to lag and  how to fix it. I just preview the video by either pressing the spacebar or clicking the play button under the preview section in the top right corner.

• 5. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar

Go to the about page and it will show you what version of AE you have. If it's not 13.7.1, update.

You can't just press spacebar and have it play. You have to let it cache first before it will play back in real time.

• 6. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar
                    Alec_Aiello Level 1

Okay I will let you know what version I have when I get home. The preview does play when I press the spacebar but it lags like crazy the first time I play it and then its smooth the second time I play it. Im new to after effects so im not quite sure what you mean by cache. Is it natural that it lags the first time and doesn't the second?

• 7. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar

Alec_Aiello wrote:

Im new to after effects so im not quite sure what you mean by cache. Is it natural that it lags the first time and doesn't the second?

Yes. It isn't only natural; it's expected.

You really, really need to start here. After Effects is terribly complex (even if it doesn't seem like it at first) and simple little things like this will bite your butt a LOT if you don't take a little bit of time now to get an understanding. Don't expect to get it all in a day either. This is the kind of software people can build a whole career out of using, so it will take a while to actually be able to use it properly.

• 8. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar
                        Alec_Aiello Level 1

Thanks for the help! I will definetly look into reading that. I have a lot of effects and I have a few plugins installed but I am sure that there are soooo many different effects and tools I still need to learn. So I will look into reading that article. Thanks for the help!

• 9. Re: Can't preview real time when I press spacebar

Glad to help! I was once just starting out too.

I've found that it's best, when you're first starting out, to just use AE and the native tools it comes with (which are deceptively powerful). Later, once you have a better grasp of how to work with AE, you can start introducing plugins to solve problems you're having. AE is tricky enough to learn on its own without adding complications! Particular and Element are two examples of plugins that you could spend months learning and still not get all of the features down.

And be patient with yourself while you're learning AE. If you really want to learn how to use it, it will likely take you several months. I've been working with AE for over a decade (and in my full time job for over six years) and I'm still learning new things all the time.