2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 8:15 AM by romandesign

Premiere Pro dual GPU: is it better to leave old 1.2Gb GTX 570 along with new 4Gb GTX 960 running in parallel, or just leave the new one?

romandesign

Which combination would give me faster real-time view and faster rendering times with 4K video? I'm building new PC with some parts from the old one (case, PSU, HDDs). I've ordered Gygabite X99 motherboard, Intel Core i7 5820K CPU, 32Gb of DDR4 RAM, Samsung EVO 850 240Gb SSD (for OS and apps) and 4Gb GTX960 GPU. I also have small 22Gb SSD that I use for temp directories, swap file etc. So I can either run 2 GPUs with this setup - one of them left over from the current system (i7 2700K, 16Gb RAM), or I can only install the new one. The main question is wether the two GPUs different in processing power will help each other, or the slower one with less memory is only going to slow the other one.

I've read somewhere that during rendering Premiere Pro will give one frame to the first GPU and another to the second GPU - so does it meant the total GPU speed is limited by the slowest of the two GPUs, or does the slower one still gives some speed boost working in parallel with the new one?

If running both GPUs in parallel is the best, how do I configure them properly for Premiere, so it knows which one to use for live view (the new one) and which only as a "second helper" for rendering?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro dual GPU: is it better to leave old 1.2Gb GTX 570 along with new 4Gb GTX 960 running in parallel, or just leave the new one?
          JEShort01 Level 4

You're got quite a few variables in play here, so I would suggest starting with just the new card in a 16x slot and check out system performance for:

- timeline playback - are you losing any frames using your actual timelines (media, filters, etc.)? You can check with full resolution, 1/2 resolution, etc. too.

- render output - is it OK for your needs? In general multiple GPU cards can help Premiere render speed quite a bit if you are outputting to DVD format, but I don't think a second card will help at all for other formats (Blu-ray, etc.)

And if you are happy with the way things work with just the new card, run with it!

Other notes:

- you only have 24 lanes to play with so putting in both cards will likely downgrade both GPUs to 8x for a dual GPU setup

- using the lesser card to connect to your monitor (and the faster card for CUDA) could potentially help playback if you are getting lost frames with the single card; you would definitely have to test this on your exact system - if the single fast card does not work well for the tests mentioned above

- do you have enough watts in your P/S to support both cards comfortably? There's nothing more frustrating than GPUs not getting enough juice - dreaded blue-screens, etc.

- is noise a factor? In my builds, the GTX 900 series stuff is really silent, so adding prev. generation cards could potentially up the noise level of your whole system

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro dual GPU: is it better to leave old 1.2Gb GTX 570 along with new 4Gb GTX 960 running in parallel, or just leave the new one?
            romandesign Level 1

Thanks. All good points. I have XFX 850W Core Edition Single Rail 12V 70A PSU. It should be able to handle the power requirements. I guess I will have to test it with a single and dual cards and see if it helps or hinders performance. The funny thing I assumed people have already tried it, but I could not find any reports on using two different GPUs vs. single here or anywhere else.