21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 6:07 PM by gt_byrd

After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview

gt_byrd

So my Machine specs:

Asrock X99 extreme6/ac MOBO

64gb DDR4 Patriot Viper RAM

intel i7 5820k CPU

Msi GTX 980 Viceo Card

Samsung 500gb SSD=OS & AE

Samsung M.2 256gb sata ssd drive=work files

intel 80gb SSD cache & Scratch Disk

In preferences, I have allocated 59gb of ram for After Effects. But when attempting to use ram preview to playback comps it only uses 20-30% of that allocated ram. I would be fine with that except the previews are not real time.

Small comps obviously will playback within a few minutes, but larger comps can take 30 minutes or more to playback. I am at a loss. I get the same performance from my 6 yr old laptop with i7, integrated graphics, and only 8gb of ram.

I built this PC for video editing and some gaming. It handles the gaming like it's child play. after effects is the only program not running the way it should. Any Ideas?

• 1. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What was the clock speed of the processor on your old laptop? And how many cores?

What is the clock speed of your current processor? And how many cores?

What, exact, version of AE are you using?

Here's the thing, unless you're using a certain few third-party plugins (like Element or Red Giant Universe) or you're using the obsolete ray-traced renderer to create 3d geometry natively in After Effects (which isn't the best idea these days), AE doesn't use the GPU for much at all. So you can probably ignore the GPU in your comparisons. GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

As far as RAM goes, AE uses as much as it needs up to what it's allotted. It mostly uses it to cache your previews. But it is unlikely to make a huge difference in speed of rendering.

The bottleneck is likely your CPU. If you're using CC 2015, it's probably only rendering on one core. Thus, if your clock speed is similar between your machines, the rendering speed will be similar. The difference between the machines will be how long your RAM preview can be (you'll be able to cache much longer previews with 64 BG of RAM vs. 8!) and how fast GPU-dependent things will render (if you use Element, you should notice a big difference).

The reason I specified "if you're using CC 2015" is that AE CC 2014 uses an old feature called multiprocessing. The After Effects team is in the middle of creating a more modern way of using multiple cores, but they haven't finished yet. So, CC 2015 doesn't have multiprocessing (among other things - see this: features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7) ).

AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to do certain things. If you don't have CC 2014 installed, here's how: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

My suggestion would be to work with your project in CC 2015 (because it's a lot snappier to work with) and then render in AE CC 2014 with multiprocessing enabled because (depending on what you have in your scene) it will likely be faster. You can open project files created with CC 2015 in CC 2014 with no problems.

• 2. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
            gt_byrd Level 1

OKAY! Thanks! so basically go back to AE 2014. I need to figure out how to do that.

My laptop speed is 2.4ghz 4 cores HT=8 threads and my Desktop is 3.3ghz 6 cores HT=12 threads

So basically I wasted money on the GPU and Ram, could have gone cheap on those because AE doesn't use them.

Wow. That sucks.I do have red giant installed but only use it on projects that need a certain effect. I was initially told by an adobe AE "chat" CSR that having red giant installed was the problem even if it wasn't running. If that is the case then AE has major problems.

I know you say AE CC 2015 is snappier. But really it isn't if I can;t even look at the project to see if what I am doing are what I want. If I get better Ram Preview speed in CC 2014 that makes it faster. w/out Ram Preview how do you even know what a project looks like?

And Like you said AE doesn't even use the GPU. Don't get me started. In this day and age everyone talks about how GPU makes editing faster, graphics faster, even on all the AE documentation it mentions using Cuda for faster speeds. Then in preferences it says it doesn't use Cuda. How is that possible? It is 2016 why is the GPU not doing some work here? Couldn't adobe almost double, or more than double the speed of editing by utilizing GPU?

But if what you say is correct, then there is nothing I can do. Disappointing news, but very helpful. Thank you.

• 3. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
              BartonGarrett256 Level 2

And although it's a very basic issue, make sure you are on Windows Pro, the 'Home' version limits RAM useage to something like 16GB, regardless of how much is installed.  I found that out the hard way.

• 4. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                gt_byrd Level 1

Really? this is the first I have heard about this. I am on windows home. It shows all my ram in the system screen. I will investigate this as well. I don't really want to reinstall windows to go pro. But I want to use all of my ram. Again, why would they put artificial brakes on people's systems? I knew I had read where windows couldn't use more than 64gb. Which is why I put 64gb in my motherboard instead of the 128gb it could handle. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: just did some research and the first few pieces of info I have seen says windows 10 home x64 can use up to 128gb while windows 10 pro and above can use up to 2tb of ram. Will keep researching this. Now windows 7 maxes out at 16gb until you get to pro and it jumps to a weird and rare 192gb ram.

• 5. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                  BartonGarrett256 Level 2

And it's getting close to product release season, NAB is just days away, so maybe this will get fixed soon.  But a lot of us got bit last year by upgrading right at release, there were nasty problems with the first releases. For some reason known only to God they did all the products at once then went on a company holiday.   

• 6. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                    gt_byrd Level 1

Yeah, I tend to upgrade as soon as they are available because my thought is why would a company put out a new version that is inferior. Just doesn't make sense. But I guess it happens.

• 7. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                      BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I am on Windows 7 Pro, I know for a fact Windows 7 home is limited to 16GB. I found out the hard way and upgraded.  It does not tell you, it just ignores anything past 16. I do not know about Windows 8 or 10, or if you can even still buy 7. 

• 8. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                        BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Last year was a complete disaster, do a search on upgrade 2015 in the forums.  It killed a lot of people on deadline, both Pr and Ae.   I will wait until the roar dies down this year.

• 9. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                          gt_byrd Level 1

You're correct. Windows 7 home has that 16gb limit. They got rid of it in Windows 8 and 10. I was wrong and Windows 10 home can handle up to 128gb. Glad I was wrong about that or I would have spent more money and put 128gb in there. haha

• 10. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview

gt_byrd wrote:

OKAY! Thanks! so basically go back to AE 2014. I need to figure out how to do that.

I gave you a link for how to do that in my post.

gt_byrd wrote:

So basically I wasted money on the GPU and Ram, could have gone cheap on those because AE doesn't use them.

Not necessarily a waste! Premiere Pro uses the GPU a lot (and some very useful AE plugins do too) and AE does use the RAM (for caching your previews and other things). It's just not a big boost to rendering speed after a certain amount.

gt_byrd wrote:

That sucks.I do have red giant installed but only use it on projects that need a certain effect. I was initially told by an adobe AE "chat" CSR that having red giant installed was the problem even if it wasn't running. If that is the case then AE has major problems.

I've never had an issue with Red Giant.

gt_byrd wrote:

I know you say AE CC 2015 is snappier. But really it isn't if I can;t even look at the project to see if what I am doing are what I want. If I get better Ram Preview speed in CC 2014 that makes it faster. w/out Ram Preview how do you even know what a project looks like?

It's faster to interact by a good bit, so I can keep working without having to wait for it to render. You can preview many things at smaller than full resolution if you need to see what it looks like. I've been using AE for over a decade, so I've got all kinds of tricks from back when computers weren't very powerful...

gt_byrd wrote:

And Like you said AE doesn't even use the GPU. Don't get me started. In this day and age everyone talks about how GPU makes editing faster, graphics faster, even on all the AE documentation it mentions using Cuda for faster speeds. Then in preferences it says it doesn't use Cuda. How is that possible? It is 2016 why is the GPU not doing some work here? Couldn't adobe almost double, or more than double the speed of editing by utilizing GPU?

GPU makes some things faster (like editing, but you use Premiere Pro to edit, not AE). Now, there are many things in AE that the GPU could accelerate, but you can't just say, "Okay, GPU, you do this work." It does need quite a bit of code work. The AE team has said that they are looking into ways to use the GPU in future versions to accelerate things.

• 11. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

You've got too much RAM allocated.   Don't allocate more than 75% of your RAM.  Also Obviously make sure your cache disk is not full. This is just for preview.  Final rendering is done on your CPU

• 12. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                gt_byrd Level 1

Thanks for the help. I did some more research and I see there was some great improvements made to the "preview" system in AE that will help some people. Like the live preview. I'm flip flopping in my mind of staying or going back. I watched a youtube video last night where a guy had both 2014 and 2015 going. But it was on a MAC. But that would be a solution I'd be interested in. I have plenty of space.. Still looking into it.

• 13. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                  gt_byrd Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I may try that. I knew we did this back when resources were smaller and we didn't want to take resources away from windows and such. I figured it would be fine now to break that limit because windows shouldn't need more than 6gb or ram to run while I am using any adobe program. But you may be right. I will try it. What is funny is I was getting realt time playback when I only had 32gb of ram installed and had allocated 28gb. Then I added another 32gb and it stopped. But as it was pointed out to me, between me adding the ram is when I upgraded versions of AE and preview changed with the program's architecture.

• 14. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview

gt_byrd wrote:

Thanks for the help. I did some more research and I see there was some great improvements made to the "preview" system in AE that will help some people. Like the live preview. I'm flip flopping in my mind of staying or going back. I watched a youtube video last night where a guy had both 2014 and 2015 going. But it was on a MAC. But that would be a solution I'd be interested in. I have plenty of space.. Still looking into it.

I highly recommend having both AE CC 2014 and AE CC 2015 installed. (The After Effects team at Adobe have suggested that too.)

I work in CC 2015 since it's much snappier and has improved expression error handling (among other things) and then I go into CC 2014 to render it with multiprocessing or to preview particularly heavy comps if I can't strip them down for whatever reason.

AE CC 2015 is the first step in a major re-architecture, separating the renderer from the UI for the first time in AE's 20+ year history. This is a big job and it's still in progress. It's a necessary step for improving After Effects performance, but it's taking a while (and multiple versions) for them to get through it. So, during this time of transition as they're introducing elements of the new architecture, sometimes it may be easier to use the older version to get a task done.

• 15. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                      gt_byrd Level 1

I understand now, what they are doing. I just hear so many people, adobe included, talk about how much MORE RAM! or a BETTER GPU! makes AE perform so much better. when really I would get the same performance out of this current version as if I had spent $1k less on ram and a slightly lesser gpu. Even though I know my GPU is an enthusiast card and not a workstation card. Even when I was on youtube last night watching videos about the current version versus 2014 People kept saying More Ram! and Better GPU! will make this run great! and I am like it won't though. until they complete the build out of the application to take advantage of Ram and Gpu. When I go into preferences it says there is no Cuda support and suing the GPU won't help anything. But the adobe website says that it is hardware accelerated using the GPU.

they should just be honest and say "hey, we made some cool stuff. But because we are changing things we took a step back in some areas. Here is what you need to run AE at max and nothing more will help." I have been an adobe user since photoshop 1. I was in high school and my stepdad bought it for his work. I used it to make a flyer for a Halloween party I had. I have used their products ever since. I will try everything I can to tweak my system correctly.

• 16. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                        gt_byrd Level 1

Like I just noticed, when I watch people use and speak about the preview window added in 2015, they have an option to render preview frames or by length. I don't have that option. was it taken out with an update?

• 17. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview

gt_byrd wrote:

Like I just noticed, when I watch people use and speak about the preview window added in 2015, they have an option to render preview frames or by length. I don't have that option. was it taken out with an update?

Yes, it was removed in the 13.6 update. As the After Effects team is changing AE's underlying architecture, they've been tweaking with the new previewing system a lot based on user feedback. Some improvements have made it SIGNFICANTLY better. See this page for some info on what changed in the preview system: what’s new and changed in the After Effects CC 2015 (13.6) update (it wouldn't hurt to also read this: what’s new and changed in the After Effects CC 2015 (13.7) update )

gt_byrd wrote:

When I go into preferences it says there is no Cuda support and suing the GPU won't help anything. But the adobe website says that it is hardware accelerated using the GPU.

The problem is that there are many different things you can use the GPU for. AE is hardware accelerated. There's a preference option to use hardware acceleration for the UI panels etc. (which you should probably turn on). And, as has been mentioned, the ray-traced renderer is massively accelerated if you have an NVIDIA GPU. (It's uselessly slow without one). If you have an NVIDIA GPU and your card isn't one of the ones they tested, you can just tick the "use unsupported cards" option and it'll work. Granted, the ray-traced renderer is now obsolete, but if you ever want to use it, a GPU makes a huge difference.

gt_byrd wrote:

when really I would get the same performance out of this current version as if I had spent $1k less on ram and a slightly lesser gpu.

In standard out-of-the-box AE perhaps, but MANY rather useful third-party plugins (Element, Optical Flares, ShapeShifter, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, Red Giant Universe) are accelerated by or entirely dependent on the GPU. So don't think you made a bad choice. In fact, the card you've picked is better than almost any Quadro as far as Element goes. You've done well! I mean, bang for the buck with Element the GTX 970 might be a better buy, but if you're doing massive scenes with it, you'll be glad you got the card you did.

And lots of RAM is helpful too! You get a long HD scene and you want to preview it in full res, you'll be grateful for all of that RAM!

gt_byrd wrote:

they should just be honest and say "hey, we made some cool stuff. But because we are changing things we took a step back in some areas.

They did say that...almost exactly that. See their blog post here: features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (and here: known issues in CC 2015 )

Seriously, you have purchased a decent machine for AE. I'd consider using your 256 GB hard drive for AE's cache and put footage or whatever on a different drive, but otherwise it's looking really good!

• 18. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                            gt_byrd Level 1

Thanks for everything. I see what you're saying. Sorry, I'm without power at the moment. 75 mph winds knocked a tree onto my powerline. So I have dealt with that.

Yeah, I will figure it all out you've been helpful.

• 20. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                              gt_byrd Level 1

Fore sure. Everything is back on. 6 ft 150lb limb fell onto the power line and pull it from the pole. But $300 later it is all fixed. haha have a great day.

• 21. Re: After Effects only using 20-30% of allotted ram and getting very slow ram preview
                                                gt_byrd Level 1

Update: Thanks to everyone for their help. I installed AE CC 2014 and my real time ram preview is back to real time or close to it. Even complex projects are previewed real time in less than a minute as opposed to 30 minutes in AE CC 2015. I just didn't realize that the update was different. Thanks again!