19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 4:07 PM by ECBowen

I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

fernandob50529930

I'm into Photography and now I start using adobe premiere pro but my old computer is lagging too much (with lightroom works okey and photoshop but with premiere pro NO)

My specification

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula

RAM: Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 14GB

Processor: Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz 8 MB Cache

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB DDR3

Using premiere pro with just images works fine but know im importing 4k 30 fps videos and there is my problem. I understand the computer i have is below the adobe specifications thats why im going to start upgrading.

For now i will like to fix the lag im having on the playback sequence.

If I upgrade the graphic card can i fix the lag ?

I don't want to upgrade the entire computer right now, I just want to fix that lag for now. Im not a professional photographer and nothing like that, is just a hobby i have so i think I dont need a kick *** computer, maybe in the future, not now.

Thanks you very much.

• 1. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Fernando,

Moving to the Hardware forum.

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think your best bet might be to invest in storage.  Converting your media to Cineform, you will see a marked improvement in the editing performance.  However, those files aren't small.  You'll need a very large, very fast hard drive to store them on.

• 3. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That would help but that platform cannot really push a 960 GTX 4Gb card for example. It doesn't hurt to get 1 and see if you think the performance is acceptable to you but 4K is really going to require a current Z170 system at the very least for many workflows.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
                fernandob50529930 Level 1

Jim_Simon wrote:

I think your best bet might be to invest in storage.  Converting your media to Cineform, you will see a marked improvement in the editing performance.  However, those files aren't small.  You'll need a very large, very fast hard drive to store them on.

I have the 4k videos on that SSD but i still have that lag on the playback sequence.

• 5. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

ECBowen wrote:

That would help but that platform cannot really push a 960 GTX 4Gb card for example. It doesn't hurt to get 1 and see if you think the performance is acceptable to you but 4K is really going to require a current Z170 system at the very least for many workflows.

Eric

ADK

I was thinking to buy that graphic card GTX 960, but i didn't for that reason... I don't know if is going to work with the system i have. well i can returned if not but amazon doesn't accept return of open computer items.

Amazon has the gtx 960 4gb for $219 no taxes

Bestbuy or stores like that is like 249 + taxes

• 6. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

You can also always move the 960GTX 4GB to a new system or config if you upgrade the system hardware as well.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
                      BerniceR

Could someone let me know how long my GTX 970s will be good for? I only bought them last year (only just started PC gaming last year too (woops, not last year, November 2014-ish)) I'm quite concerned because I got the last Batman game and there are major stuttering issues even after the "update". I upgraded to windows 10 which actually improved average framerate but still, for a game to have drops to 40fps at 1080p only a year after I buy 2 new GTXs is unacceptable to me. Please tell me it's an issue with the game and not a "software outdating hardware" issue.

I'm not having these problems in other games but to be honest Batman is one of the best looking games on PC in my opinion (unless there are nicer looking?). Other games run perfectly. I'm just worried that all game's graphics are going to advance to the "Arkham Knight" "Unreal Engine 4" standards and my GPUs are going to be near useless only 2 years into their lifespan. How long, on average, do people take to upgrade their cards? I was actually HOPING for a 4-5 year life cycle similar to consoles. Especially since single GPUs are the same price as a full console, they should last a lot longer. When PC gaming is working it works really, really well, games can be optimized (for instance Dying Light ran around 50fps on this system in Windows 7, in Win10 it runs at a solid 100 at 1080 and 90 at 1440!) and customized, there are emulators, NES to USB controller adapters. It's incredible. But there are many, many problems. Pretty much every AAA game released in 2014 and 2015 had day 1 issues apart from Phantom Pain which had other issues (I told myself I wouldn't cry...). I just hope that hardware dating quickly isn't one of these "cons".

• 8. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

ECBowen wrote:

You can also always move the 960GTX 4GB to a new system or config if you upgrade the system hardware as well.

Eric

ADK

I will but for now I just want to fix that lag on the playback, that's all I want for now. Maybe to fix that I need to upgrade the entire system (I hope not) I bought the gtx 960 4gb. Today I will install the card and see if works.

• 9. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

A 970GTX should be fine for a couple of years but it depends on what you are using the cards for. Game development always plans for future hardware when they design the game which often equates to having to lower settings with current hardware at launch. That is likely what you are running into with that game. The video driver will also have a considerable impact on the performance. Try turning off Vert sync and any AA enabled. The AA alone adds considerable load to the GPU with games.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

Okay I have the gtx 960 installed and running but the lag is worst now, I dont know whats going on, when I hit the spacebar to play the sequence it take less than a second to start the sequence, hit the spacebar again to stop and takes like 6 seconds to stop the sequence. I check the "video rendering and playback" and I have the Acceleration CUDA on.

I need to upgrade something else but what ? Processor or more ram ?

• 11. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step
                              JEShort01 Level 4

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?

What are the full details of your 4k 30fps media?

• 12. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

What Nvidia driver version are you running with the Geforce 960GTX.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

JEShort01 wrote:

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?

What are the full details of your 4k 30fps media?

Adobe Premiere CC 2015.2

Im sorry, I dont know the full detail but i use a gopro hero 4 black edition

• 14. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

ECBowen wrote:

What Nvidia driver version are you running with the Geforce 960GTX.

Eric

ADK

364.72-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

• 15. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

Try this driver version and see if the performance is any different.

Drivers | GeForce

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

ECBowen wrote:

Try this driver version and see if the performance is any different.

Drivers | GeForce

Eric

ADK

Same thing.

I put back the gtx 260 to finish the project i was working on. I have lag on the playback with the 260 but not as bad as the 960. Here is the video i was working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJo56jPz5jI

• 17. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

You should be able to go back to the latest driver version then. Something besides the driver must be causing this then because the 260GTX would only have less lag if this was due to amount of frames cached at one time. The 14GB of ram is likely not helping with this especially since the 960GTx has 4Gb of vram.

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

Thanks for the help Eric.

Im a little confused right now because i have a laptop with premiere pro CS6 and the playback sequence works SUPER well, no lag at all!

I don't understand, really don't understand why a laptop with 6Gb RAM, i5-4210U 2.40GHz, graphic card HD family (i dont know how to check the graphic on windows 10) works MUCH MUCH better than this computer.

I was reading that alot of people complaining about the same thing, version 2015 has this problem, I dont know if true or not but they install the 2014 version and problem solve.

Somebody know something about 2015 and 2014 version ?

It any way i can go back to 2014 version ?

Or going back is not going to solve nothing ?

Sorry for all the question but i bought a hard drive and a graphic card trying to solve this issue but now im in a worst position than before.

• 19. Re: I need to Upgrade my Computer by step by step

Adobe changes the caching models for the frames buffered based on hardware available from version to version. This is done as memory management is refined and newer hardware becomes available so the applications especially the GPU acceleration can take advantage of the new hardware. The more system resources available such as system ram and GPU vram the more frame data can be cached at one time and processed by the CPU and GPU. This is a delicate dance though and critical to GPU acceleration performance hence why App developers are constantly updating the memory management especially for GPU acceleration.  On top of this the Video driver updates and updating Cuda or Open Cl standards make this a endless ongoing project as in the need to refine further time and time again as drivers and standards change for the GPU acceleration. New features for Cuda or Open Cl often make this required again. All of this memory management refinement or lack there of is normally the key to GPU acceleration performance improvements or poor performance because system resources for both system ram and GPU ram are dynamic and obviously change from system to system. Along with this the entire GPU acceleration process is a pipeline ie starts at CPU then system ram then GPU Vram then GPU and back again  for final output processing or output. The more data that is cached at one time the longer it takes to create the buffers in ram for the entire process to occur and fill the buffers.  This often comes across as latency as the buffers are recreated after reading all the previous buffers. That translates into higher end hardware performs and handles allot more data at one time better than lower performing hardware such as 3 generations old hardware like your desktop versus your laptop which is only 1 generation old though less resources ie system ram and likely GPU ram available. The point of explaining all of this though is to say the current hardware has bigger and faster highways for ram and thereby all the data being used by Adobe in CC 2015 which helps alleviate these stuttering issues. Since the memory management is variable based on system resources, your laptop is not caching nearly as many frames at one time so the time it takes to refill playback buffers is faster and the laptop is able to continue the process without dropping frames. The Desktop is not getting those buffers refilled or recreated in the 1 second time it takes to maintain playback without dropping frames likely because it's trying to cache to much frame data at one time. CC2014 used far less ram than CC 2015 but it also had less performance on higher end hardware. CC 2015 uses far more ram and performs very well on higher end hardware but not so well on lower end hardware or older hardware where it's still caching allot of frame data due to system ram and vram available but taking to long to do it since the CPU handles all the memory management. You might try changing the ram reserved for other applications in Adobe from for 6 to 8GB and see if that forces Adobe to cache less data at once. Overall though the newer system is really the choice to improve the performance or wait for Adobe to refine their memory management further and resolve the issue on lower end hardware. I have watched Adobe evolve their caching models since CS5 which showed a similar problem as CC2015 where it performed fantastically on the better hardware but showed degraded performance on the low end. When it was refined later it lowered performance elsewhere such as scrubbing on high end systems. So overall this is work in progress. 14GB of ram though tells me you have different size ram modules in that system which is not helping this at all or a ram stick is not initializing correctly. Both are a problem as well. So that is also something you likely want to take a look at. The memory management ie caching models are also why Cuda outperforms Open CL in Adobe currently since it takes time to refine these to new hardware and standards and Adobe started Open CL development far later. I hope that helps clear some of this up.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful